Hot Water Heater

Ted-Nancy

We have a 2011 Heartland North Country 29RKS. The element switch is off. Propane is on. Switch at water heater is on. When faucet for hot water is turned on, we get a burning smell, no matter what position the by-pass valve is on. Don't think the element is burned out, as we've never taken this NEW Heartland out! Please phone 507-364-7750, Ted.

jnbhobe

do you have water in the water tank?? Don't turn on the electric part with no water in the tank, you will burn it out. Burning smell may be because it is new

danemayer

A new 2011 must have been on the dealer lot for quite a while. Lots can happen.

The water heater electric circuit has a safety switch on the outside of the water heater. It's a small rocker switch usually found in the lower left corner. There should be a small cotterpin preventing the switch from being turned on by accident. If the cotterpin is missing, that would be a clue that someone tried out the electric element; perhaps without water in the tank.

If you want to investigate further, shut off the water heater. Shut off the city water and water pump. Let the water heater cool down. Lift the pressure relief valve on the outside of the water heater. Then unscrew and remove the anode rod to drain the tank. If the water coming out of the anode rod opening smells or doesn't look clean, you could try flushing the tank.

Then refill the tank and see if the electric side works. You'll have to turn on both the small rocker switch, and the large light-switch inside the coach.

Or you can go back to the dealer and ask them to figure out what's going on and correct it.

danemayer

Ted and Nancy,

I see you've posted 3 questions at about the same time asking basic questions on how to operate the water system and hot water heater. On reflection, I think you'd do best to go back to your dealer and have them spend a couple of hours needed to demonstrate how everything in the trailer works. If you're not clear, ask questions. You might even want to videotape the session.

They can also run down what's going on with the water heater - although based on your posts, I wouldn't be surprised if you've burned out the electric heating element. If so, I wouldn't expect it to be covered as a warranty defect. If the dealer didn't give you any instruction on how to use the trailer, you might want to discuss with them whether they ought to fix it at the dealer's expense - a couple of dollars for a new element and a little of their labor.