Hot water switch question

edoc1966

Hi all,
New to the camping world, and learning as i go, my question is about my water heater switch, one says 120 volts, while the other says 12 volts, what is the difference between the two and i think my is always on propane it seems, I have 2020 Heartland Elkridge, any help would be great

danemayer

Hi edoc1966,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Most RV water heaters have two ways of heating the water. There's an electric heating element that is powered by 120V AC for when you're plugged into shore power. There's also a 12V DC operation that burns propane, primarily for when you don't have shore power.

For faster recovery time when you've used up all the hot water, you can turn on both.

More information is in our owner-written Water Heater Usage Guide. There's a collection of other guides in that folder that you may also find useful.

Piperflyer

Also if you have a Suburban Water Heater, besides the 120v & 12v switch in the coach. You will have another switch at the water heater itself. Take the cover off and look for a switch at the bottom left section of the heater. You will also have to have this on to use the 120v side of the heater. This switch is just really a safety switch. You can read more about it in the Heartland Manuals. I would turn it on and just leave it on till I was storing the coach.

ILH

As Dan stated, turn on both gas and electric if you're in a hurry - but otherwise leave it on the 120volt setting. Let the RV park pay for the water heating!

Since our RV is just my wife and I, we don't usually drain the water heater - so quick recovery is not an issue. However, when we arrive at the campground, I usually throw on both switches just to get hot water in a hurry (then try to remember to turn the gas switch off).

centerline

the 120v setting is for when you are plugged into shore power, and in that setting the unit does NOT use any propane....
in 12v mode, it heats on propane, but it still needs 12v battery power to operate the electronics that control the water heater... the 12v mode can also also be used when plugged into shore power if you choose to, but its un-necessary to use propane when you have 120VAC power available...

edoc1966

Wow thanks for the quick responses, and thank you all for clarifying the two switches and it does have a switch outside on the heater