How Far Can I Go on Reduced Power due to DEF issue?

akf15e

Need some help please! We are out on a 10 day trip and I was so happy that for the first time in 6 trips in our new Landmark nothing has broken, leaked, failed, torn, collapsed, or otherwise caused issues! (We've had a very rough start with this new 2015 - different story!) So.....as we were returning to the campground 2 days ago from a side trip in my 2011 GMC Sierra 3500 (D/A), I got an "Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor" warning. I checked the manual and it said I could go 200 miles before I would be limited to 55 mph and that "continued operation" after that would result in going into limp mode (4 mph). It does not specify howlong "continued" is. Unfortunately, we had to get back to the campground so I can get my rig out of the site tomorrow. No local dealer could see me on short notice. I got some new DEF from WalMart and added 2 gallons to top off and hope that would clear the caution (no luck so far after 20 miles of driving).

So here is the dilemma - I used 110 miles of my 200 miles just getting back to my camper. It is also about 110 miles to get home. I can live with the fact that it will limit me to 55 mph somewhere around 20 miles from home, as that is the speed limit where I will be driving. But how long can I expect to continue to be able to drive after that before it puts me in limp mode? How accurate is that 200 mile figure to begin with? Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. 4 mph is not just inconvenient, it is dangerous. BTW, how does the EPA get away with mandating that my vehicle be disabled due to exhaust issues?

Thanks!

dlw930

I got the same error msg on my 2011 Silverado 3500HD D/A a few days after adding my first jug of Walmart DEF in the blue plastic jug. Prior to that I had always used Blue DEF. I thought it was the Walmart DEF causing the error msg. Then I stopped for fuel and found that I hadn't sealed the filler cap the last time I fueled up. Made sure it was on good, then started the engine and the error msg was gone and never came back. Go figure. Maybe check your fuel cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storm1972

Cheap code reader from any automotive store with a code clearing function, diesel owners best friend, saved my bacon more times then I can count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

So did you check the fuel cap yet. Also try unhooking both batteries for a few minutes and see if it will clear the code. this use to work, but I think there on to it now.

danemayer

I had a 2011 GMC 3500. Got a Quality Poor message one day. Turned out to be a sensor problem. After replacing the sensor, it took the dealer 45 minutes going through the procedure to clear the error. As I understand it, the code readers cannot clear a DEF error.

According to GM literature, after the error msg appears, you have 200 miles and at the next start, speed is limited to 55. I seem to recall that if you continue, after another 200 it will limit you to 4 mph.

All this with a big caveat. Sometimes erratic sensors cause erratic behavior. I've also had a DEF sensor issue (different sensor) where the warning mileage kept jumping around at random.

The DEF system works well except for the sensors. That seems to be the weak link.

Attachments

• DEF Low Quality.pdf
    114.2 KB · Views: 37

akf15e

Dan,

Thanks. My manual did not specify the part about the "next engine start" so in theory I will be OK. Also, I think you are right about the code readers. I was able to talk to two dealerships were we are and both stated that they couldn't just clear the code for me, even if they could get me in. Maybe I should have asked more specifically whether that meant it can't be cleared, or they wouldn't do it.

Jerrod - thanks. I did check my cap and it clicked once. However, the code came before I stopped at Walmart to fill up with diesel and to get DEF, which is when i didn't tighten it all the way. Of course,it is possible I had it loose before that too. Maybe the combo of fresh DEF and a tightened cap will clear it on the way home.

sjbclb

I understand your frustration with the 2011 gmc 3500 trk. I had the same problem with our 2011 also. It was in numerous times with the dealer replacing both sensors, reprogramming it. Finally went to a differant dealer who had a 2015 that was 2-wheel drive, which I was not sure I wanted but he made a real good offer. Bye bye 2011.
A year later the dealer still has my 2011 and it stlll is giving the same error message. Good luck!!!

akf15e

I understand your frustration with the 2011 gmc 3500 trk. I had the same problem with our 2011 also. It was in numerous times with the dealer replacing both sensors, reprogramming it. Finally went to a differant dealer who had a 2015 that was 2-wheel drive, which I was not sure I wanted but he made a real good offer. Bye bye 2011.
A year later the dealer still has my 2011 and it stlll is giving the same error message. Good luck!!!

Actually this truck has been flawless the first 4.5 years I've owned it, but I am a bit concerned after reading of all the emissions related issues online. So have later models fixed the problems with the system?

akf15e

Perhaps he is on the road, traveling 4mph...going to take a bit longer for an update. :(

Trust me, that was my fear! I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. We left at 11 AM for the 2 1/2 hour, 115 mile trip home. The "poor quality" light remained on until the 210 mile point from when it first illuminated. At that point, the DIC said "55 mph limit upon next restart". So we were able to continue at 60+ mph until I got home. After I unhitched and restarted the truck, it now says "55mph limit" but doesn't tell me for how long/how many miles/how many restarts. Regardless, I only have to start it one more time and that is to get it to the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully it cooperates. If not, Good Sams will be towing it for me.

When I got home, I found I have 3 service bulletins/warranty extensions on parts of the emissions system. Hopefully, one of those applies to my situation, though it's hard to tell.

Thanks for the inputs from everyone. If I can find out how long the truck lets you drive 55 before dropping to 4 mph, I will post it.

avvidclif

Trust me, that was my fear! I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. We left at 11 AM for the 2 1/2 hour, 115 mile trip home. The "poor quality" light remained on until the 210 mile point from when it first illuminated. At that point, the DIC said "55 mph limit upon next restart". So we were able to continue at 60+ mph until I got home. After I unhitched and restarted the truck, it now says "55mph limit" but doesn't tell me for how long/how many miles/how many restarts. Regardless, I only have to start it one more time and that is to get it to the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully it cooperates. If not, Good Sams will be towing it for me.

When I got home, I found I have 3 service bulletins/warranty extensions on parts of the emissions system. Hopefully, one of those applies to my situation, though it's hard to tell.

Thanks for the inputs from everyone. If I can find out how long the truck lets you drive 55 before dropping to 4 mph, I will post it.

At 4MPH it would only have to get me to the closest dealer to unload it.

Mburtsvt

You can bemoan all of the tree huggers and EPA you want, but at the end of the day it was your state’s CARB. (California Air Resources Board) who required all new trucks to meet stricter particulate requirements. The standards were adapted by the EPA the following year.

This from the same state that now requires RV drivers who tow or drive RV over 40 ft to get an additional endorsement on their driver license.

avvidclif

You can bemoan all of the tree huggers and EPA you want, but at the end of the day it was your state’s CARB. (California Air Resources Board) who required all new trucks to meet stricter particulate requirements. The standards were adapted by the EPA the following year.

This from the same state that now requires RV drivers who tow or drive RV over 40 ft to get an additional endorsement on their driver license.

Huh??? He's in NC, that's a ways from the left coast...