How Far Can I Go on Reduced Power due to DEF issue?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just because I live in California doesn't mean I like there dumb laws. Sorry to say what ever happen's here will take over all the other 49 states. It's just like the bad apple in a barrel trick. Ya'll forget we have Gov. Moonbeam. I would love to meet the person that went to the Ozone and checked it for depletion.

I understand your frustration with the 2011 gmc 3500 trk. I had the same problem with our 2011 also. It was in numerous times with the dealer replacing both sensors, reprogramming it. Finally went to a differant dealer who had a 2015 that was 2-wheel drive, which I was not sure I wanted but he made a real good offer. Bye bye 2011.
A year later the dealer still has my 2011 and it stlll is giving the same error message. Good luck!!!
I'm fixing to get my first diesel ram and I'm concerned about the additional cost of having to purchase DEF. Can you give me an idea of mile per gallon I can expect so I can figure my additional cost.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I'm fixing to get my first diesel ram and I'm concerned about the additional cost of having to purchase DEF. Can you give me an idea of mile per gallon I can expect so I can figure my additional cost.

Buying DEF at Walmart, my RAM 3500 dually runs about $ 0.01/mile overall. Maybe $.015 if towing in the mountains. If I fill up at a truck stop, cost of DEF drops by about 40%.

Buying DEF at Walmart, my RAM 3500 dually runs about $ 0.01/mile overall. Maybe $.015 if towing in the mountains. If I fill up at a truck stop, cost of DEF drops by about 40%.
Thanks I was afraid it would be more than that.

Mburtsvt

He's right - In other words budget for your next set of tires vs DEF - the cost is just too small.

Piperflyer

You can bemoan all of the tree huggers and EPA you want, but at the end of the day it was your state’s CARB. (California Air Resources Board) who required all new trucks to meet stricter particulate requirements. The standards were adapted by the EPA the following year.

This from the same state that now requires RV drivers who tow or drive RV over 40 ft to get an additional endorsement on their driver license.
What happens if you coming into the state hauling a 40' for a visit and you are from another state that doesn't require the endorsement?

akf15e

The tree huggers and the EPA strike again.

That's the part that bothers me the most. Hey, I am all for clean air - it's kind of nice to be able to breathe! But the fact that the US gov't mandates that my truck automatically reduce power when an emissions code is tripped is beyond reasonable. Talk about police state! If my vehicle fails emissions here in NC, they give you a certain period of time (30 or 60 days I think) to get it fixed, then you come back for a re-inspection. And you don't have to even pay for both inspections. What they don't do is slap a governor on my vehicle and say "good luck, hope you don't need all the power you paid good money for." SMH.

Mburtsvt

What happens if you coming into the state hauling a 40' for a visit and you are from another state that doesn't require the endorsement?

No! Your license from your state is in effect. You still have to know the states laws - because we all know ignorance of the law is no excuse.