How Many Have Fired Their Weapon?

Boca_Shuffles

I understand the desire for protection for our family and ourselves, but how many people on this forum have fired their weapon while camping at a campground?

I am not talking about at work as a LEO or at a gun range. I' m talking sitting around your CG having a beer and a pickup full of bad guys showed up and threatened you with bodily harm. Or had someone break into your RV while they were sleeping.

It just seems like a lot of paranoia.

Please respond with your name and give a very short description of the incident.

With enough reports from our thousand members, you might educate us to how dangerous it is out there.

ahttps://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152804974575489&id=100001839223439

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
No, thankfully I have never had to fire a weapon under the circumstances you have described.

Thankfully, I have never had to use a fire extinguisher in my rig either. Trace

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, funny you should bring this up.
There has been a thread going on about the necessity of having a gun.
So I thought I would do a little research into how many people have had to do what you just asked about.
About the only incidents I could find were problems at trailer parks, not RV parks.
Perhaps someone else can find other information.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I doubt that you are going to find much in the way of incidents in RV parks. As a general rule the people in RV parks are families with children or retirees traveling from one place to another. Most people who carry do so because they are traveling between those places and what they run into on local interstates, rest stops and back roads might bring upon a need.

TXTiger

As Trace said, I too have never had to fire any of my weapons in such a situation. I also have never had to use my fire extinguisher but would never travel without one. I actually have 3 fire extinguishers in my rig, one in the bedroom, one in the kitchen and one in the garage. I won't tell you how many weapons I have.

No, thankfully I have never had to fire a weapon under the circumstances you have described.

Thankfully, I have never had to use a fire extinguisher in my rig either. Trace

Jesse215

It is your right to have a weapon if you choose to. The police do not sit outside your house 24 hours a day to protect you like the President of the United States. A saying that I like is " I would rather be tried by 12 rather than carried by 6"

Lynn1130

I had an altercation with a skunk but better judgement kept me from using my weapon. Do you know how far they can spray?

Jim.Allison

I got a skunk story, friend of mine shot a skunk at deer camp. He turned around and clearly stated that if you shoot them in the head that they can't spray. That was about 1 second before the fumes gassed us out of our camp. HE never lived it down.

jdfishing

If Boca-Shuffles is attempting to draw conclusions about the personal choice of gun ownership from the responses by forum members to his "loaded" question, he will almost surely get the results he seems to be looking for. If gun ownership was based on the probability of using of that firearm, no one could justify owning a firearm. The vast majority of peace officers never fire their weapon in the line of duty over their entire career. Can you then conclude there is no reason for them to be armed. Absurd. If you chose not to own a firearm, DON'T.

Jim.Allison

You said paranoia again!

Seriously, I don't think one can accuse people in this forum of having an irrational fear that EVERYONE is out to get them.

Perhaps trying to understand would give insight to your struggle to accept reality.

It just seems like a lot of paranoia.

mslater

my parents awoke to a man that had broke into their trailer and was standing at the foot of the bed. made my dad pull the blankets over his head and made my mom get up and get him money, than get back in bed and put covers over her head as he laid the barrel of the rifle on them….my dad had a gun hidden by the bed put because of his parkinsons disease couldn't get to it. they were never the same after that. the guy was eventually caught … turns out he was the security guard at the campground….so don't think this stuff dosent happen

Jesse215

My better half was a LEO for 25 years and never had to fire her weapon except at the range to remain qualified. I see even this forum is getting political.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
My better half was a LEO for 25 years and never had to fire her weapon except at the range to remain qualified. I see even this forum is getting political.

From what information here leads you to believe this forum is "getting political"?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The paranoia seems to be the anti-gunners contention that any CPL holder is a gun-toting maniac, ready to unleash a hail of bullets at the slightest provocation. While I have the utmost respect for police officers and the job they do, they don't prevent crimes, they respond and investigate them after they occur or are in progress. Either case, it's usually too late for the victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

John you are correct to a point. Having taught Community Oriented Policing (still do in a local college) for some 20+ years I can tell you that proactive policing has made a difference in some cities and counties but there are still many places that are reactive only policing. A few years back I headed the Arizona Regional Community Policing Institute and we along with the Navajo Regional CPI taught proactive policing throughout the state and had some very good results. Policing is a little different than the 70s when the Kansas City Study was done showing that patrols had no affect on crime.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but it could be on its way to being locked up with the tone it seems to be developing.

whp4262

I was parked on a dark street in Arizona a few years back. This guy approached from the dark and was asking questions as he got closer. When he was about 6 feet from my door he asked "so what would stop me from robbing you right now"? I set the barrel of my pistol on the window ledge and told him I'm thinking the bullet I'm going to put in you if you take one more step toward my door. He ran off into the dark. Not every situation requires firing a weapon to end the threat. You just have to be committed to take it farther if you need to and the bad guy has to be convinced that you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4100king

one should never pull a weapon unless you are sure you are going to use it taking someone life is no joking matter and if you pull it better make sure you can pull the trigger or get it used on you

jimtoo

one should never pull a weapon unless you are sure you are going to use it taking someone life is no joking matter and if you pull it better make sure you can pull the trigger or get it used on you

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

SilverRhino

I try to never be "paranoid". but I do my best to always be prepared to handle any sitiuation that may arise.

“Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!”
Theodore Roosevelt