How Not To Wire A Vehicle

BigGuy82

So, I'm swapping out the cheesy metal residential electrical box that was used to wire the 7-way pigtail to my unit and that is hanging on the back of the pinbox. To my way of thinking, not only is this cheesy, it's inviting problems because the box is anything but weather proof. Now, why would it need to be weatherproff? Well, let's review.

First, notice the yellow aux wire that has been cut off but left with the cut end exposed. Say that touches the metal box or moisture somehow completes the circuit to ground. Think I'll blow a fuse and have a problem? Who knows, but how difficult is it to at least put a lousy wire nut on an exposed end?

Next, there's the issue of two nicks in the wiring that you can't see and one of the nicks is in the 12v hot line. Nice. What could possibly go wrong?

Finally, it just looks like cheap. shoddy workmanship. Does anyone take pride in what they do anymore.

IMG_1410.jpg

Now, this alone isn't indicative of an overall shoddy wiring job. But what is an indicator is that in addition to this mess, I had a 120v exterior outlet with a loose connection that kept blowing the breaker, multiple loose television cable connections (nearly every one), a loose connection in the fireplace and a non-existent connection for the remote backup camera connection. Additionally, I just pulled the two batteries to do a proper job of refreshing/trickle charging them. What I have is two different brands (both no-name) with three (count 'em) different sized nuts securing the wires. They couldn't use two of the same batteries? Really? Was there a deal on eBay that Heartland jumped on?

Two things are apparent. 1 - the workers at Heartland really don't take pride in their work (at least not the wiring folks) and 2 - the supervisor who is responsible for insuring quality compliance isn't doing his/her job. This is the kind of nonsense that drives customers nuts, especially the ones who get on here and complain about all of the problems they have with a new coach. These aren't major issues, but the average customer doesn't have a clue on how to deal with this and minor things like these get lumped in with the real problems. And, in adition to these problems, I've had issues with the fit and finish of the rear end cap, cheap and lightweight dinette chairs (both folding and non-folding and oh, by the way, there is a weight limit on the chairs. I told my wife that because she broke one and she is not a heavy gal), total fireplace burn out and multiple slide out seal issues. In short, not the kind of crap you'd expect in a quality coach. As far as the seals go, it was simple stuff like securing the seal from sliding off by simply using a self tapping screw,

I know this is a rant, but I'm looking at 40'+ toy haulers and right now Heartland isn't on the list. DRV is - I'll pay more but I'll get quality craftsmanship.

BigGuy82

Just a comment. Heartland doesn't buy batteries, the dealer does and installs them.

Really. So those things leave the factory with no batteries? Interesting - gives me something to ask the dealer about. Probably some salvage batteries out of old coaches taken in trade.

Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Itwouldbeonmylisttoo,butidon'thave

It would be on my list too, but I don't have $175K to start building the DRV toy Hauler

Maybe I can get 40 year financing :rolleyes:

BigGuy82

I assume DRV must have some type of junction box under the pin. Do you know what they use?

Don't know but I'll be at the Tampa show to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Just their reputation tells me it's not likely.

If I see a cheesball setup like this on a 150K coach, I'll just give up and go back to tent camping ...

BigGuy82

I don't want to shock you but the same company that owns Heartland owns DRV.

I'm not shocked - I knew this. Doesn't matter as long as the quality is there. In fact, if we take this to the next level, doesn't Warren Buffet control Thor? I've gotta look that up.

Update: Buffet (Berkshire Hathaway) owns Forest River. Thor is owned by multiple investment firms and controls about 35% of the RV market. That said, like other "mega" manufacturers, Thor has a multi-level product offering, from "inexpensive" to deluxe. Right now it's just tire kicking - by the time I finish my research and make a buying decision, it will be 6 to 12 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sengli

I truly understand where you are coming from. I have been fixing small things in our new coach for the last three years. We have looked at the DRV's too, and honestly I spent some time on their forum , and there were a lot of people there, complaining they would never buy another DRV either, after the various issue's some people had with their coaches. Those rigs are very heavy, and their oil bath bearings, had a lot of failures, where the oil drains out when a seal fails. The main difference is there you spend a lot more initially. We have spent years touring RV factories, looked at countless new coaches. They all could have potential issue's.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Here is the 7-way box and cord I'm using to replace that metal box with.

65dd748445544a2f643031c6b3eb7be9.jpg

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=470413&viewfull=1#post470413l

BigGuy82

I truly understand where you are coming from. I have been fixing small things in our new coach for the last three years. We have looked at the DRV's too, and honestly I spent some time on their forum , and there were a lot of people there, complaining they would never buy another DRV either, after the various issue's some people had with their coaches. Those rigs are very heavy, and their oil bath bearings, had a lot of failures, where the oil drains out when a seal fails. The main difference is there you spend a lot more initially. We have spent years touring RV factories, looked at countless new coaches. They all could have potential issue's.

Easy to misunderstand posts. I'm not a disgruntled Bighorn owner - in fact, I like mine. However, I'm looking to step up, not sideways - each RV I've owned was better than the last. The Bighorn is a good unit but it's also has some obvious manufacturing shortcuts. Also, if I'm going to a 45' toy hauler upgrade (which will likely be my last coach) I don't want to have to add a generator, a better pinbox, disc brakes, etc, etc. I also want top quality woodwork, cedar closets, dishwasher, W/D, etc without "adding on" after the initial purchase.

DRV gets top ratings and is one of the coaches I'm looking at. Things like wheel bearings are easy - have the dealer pull the wheels, add grease seals to change them from oil seals.

I'm just starting the process. Our Bighorn will be around for a while.

BigGuy82

65dd748445544a2f643031c6b3eb7be9.jpg

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=470413&viewfull=1#post470413l

I just changed out my junction box and added an 8' coiled hookup. I have a Ford F-350 with the plug of the left rear side of the box but I haven't had a chance to hook up with this new mod yet. I'm wondering if I'll have a problem with a 90 degree right swing.

How long is your cord when extended and do you have any issues?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you use the 12' coiled cord it is the perfect length. Doesn't hang down to get cought on anything and is plenty long enough to my as sharp of a turn as you want.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with a $1 J-Box, just think they could have spent $20 there and you would have to pay for $30 for it. It is completely adequate for its purpose. If you're worried about moisture, just simply go to home depot and purchase a waterproof fitting and a watertight gasketed cover, or better yet, buy waterproof wire connectors, and forget about it. either of those mods would cost all of $2. Heartland could make our rigs like cadillacs, but not at this price point.

BigGuy82

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with a $1 J-Box, just think they could have spent $20 there and you would have to pay for $30 for it. It is completely adequate for its purpose. If you're worried about moisture, just simply go to home depot and purchase a waterproof fitting and a watertight gasketed cover, or better yet, buy waterproof wire connectors, and forget about it. either of those mods would cost all of $2. Heartland could make our rigs like cadillacs, but not at this price point.

And I think it's a piece of crap that looks like a cheap, Rube Goldberg solution to something that should be simple. Yes, I could put globs of silicone on it so it would look even worse. It looks cheap and I'd gladly pay another 30 bucks for something that looks like actual craftsmen built my 70k coach. Ford could save money by putting a padlock on my tailgate instead of an integrated lock. The point is I don't like it. All a matter of individual perspective ...

BigGuy82

Here's my version of the idea I stole from you. I used a 10 terminal box so I had more room for wiring. Instead of using a MagLite bracket, I found this one at eTrailer- it hugs the connector so you can mount it in any direction. I couldn't find that nice clamp you have, so I improvised with a strap and some bicycle tire tube.

IMG_1428.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The wire clamps can be found at Home Depot. Picked up a package today to complete my parts cache to build one of these.

sbhoward

I don't want to shock you but the same company that owns Heartland owns DRV.

Yes, I discovered this was true myself. Then my dealer had the gall to tell me I had bad batteries and needed replacement. They couldn't tell what or who the manufacturer was!

Then, when they installed the new batteries, they miswired the coach! Thanks to danmeyer, I was able to get the wiring straightened out on my own.

BigGuy82

Yes, I discovered this was true myself. Then my dealer had the gall to tell me I had bad batteries and needed replacement. They couldn't tell what or who the manufacturer was!

Then, when they installed the new batteries, they miswired the coach! Thanks to danmeyer, I was able to get the wiring straightened out on my own.

On top of the two different batteries, I had the coach in for warranty service, the dealer let the batteries run down, the temp dropped to 8 degrees F and I think there was some freezing. When I picked it up, they were as dead as a doornail. Fortunately, I have a NOCO battery conditoner that runs a very effective Recovery step. After 4 days on this dual charger, both batteries came around. That said, when these no-names crap out, I'll replace with dual Optima AGM's - I believe in overkill.