How to find 12v short (awning, interior, and exterior lights)

Good day all,

I am having yet another electrical issue out of my 2015 425RW. Most of the exterior lights I have keep blowing the bulbs within a couple of uses. None of my awnings are working, and now yesterday after trying to replace the bulb fixture the lights above the sink, none of my interior lights on the three switch panel on the bottom of the control/switch cabinet are working.

No fuses are blown, so I removed the three switch panel and discovered there is no ground there. So I removed/detached the switch panel above it with the awning and slide controls and found a ground. I began testing the switches and in all of them I have 12v going in. Upon turning the switch (one at a time) each switch is only putting out 6v. They continue this even when all three are on. And I don't get any lights come on even a flicker. I have ohmed out the on side of all the switches to ground and don't have any reading.

So while I was scratching my head I tried looking at the awning switch as well to see if that was related. What I found is on the awning switch I have no current using its ground and it's positive, yet I have 12 volts when using the ground for the main slides. Curious I started ouhming out the ground for the awning and found no continuity to the ground on the slide. However another ground on the slide switch not only continuity it also has 12 volts between it and the ground for the awning.

So I am at a loss here, and am scratching my head. I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and a wiring schematic for this unit. I don't even know if one exists but it sure would be helpful with this many issues all at once.

Thank you all and have a blessed day.

danemayer

Hi Rex,

If you have multiple 12V DC circuits where the ground is suspect, I would take a look inside the fuse box. I think you'll find a ground buss where all the circuits from the various devices connect back to ground. The buss bar should have a thick black wire that connects to the buss bar at one end, and to frame ground at the other. Something may be loose there.

You'll also want to inspect the negative battery terminal cable. Trace it to its frame ground connection.

The third thing to check is the Power Converter, usually behind the rear wall of the basement passthrough storage. It should have a bare copper wire going to frame ground. There will also be a thick red wire and a thick black wire that go to the fuse box to provide the fuses with power in cooperation with the battery.

Check all of the frame connections to be certain the connections are clean and tight. Also check the battery terminals.

Let us know what you find.

Thank you I was just checking that and happens to have the lights in question when I discovered for the one set lights it was a blown fuse. I didn't realize you had to have the circuit on for led light indication fuze to light up. It looks like the same for the awning. Will post back with further details. Note to self always check fuzes first even if that means pulling them one by one.

LBR

Good day all,

I am having yet another electrical issue out of my 2015 425RW. Most of the exterior lights I have keep blowing the bulbs within a couple of uses. None of my awnings are working, and now yesterday after trying to replace the bulb fixture the lights above the sink, none of my interior lights on the three switch panel on the bottom of the control/switch cabinet are working.

No fuses are blown, so I removed the three switch panel and discovered there is no ground there. So I removed/detached the switch panel above it with the awning and slide controls and found a ground. I began testing the switches and in all of them I have 12v going in. Upon turning the switch (one at a time) each switch is only putting out 6v. They continue this even when all three are on. And I don't get any lights come on even a flicker. I have ohmed out the on side of all the switches to ground and don't have any reading.

So while I was scratching my head I tried looking at the awning switch as well to see if that was related. What I found is on the awning switch I have no current using its ground and it's positive, yet I have 12 volts when using the ground for the main slides. Curious I started ouhming out the ground for the awning and found no continuity to the ground on the slide. However another ground on the slide switch not only continuity it also has 12 volts between it and the ground for the awning.

So I am at a loss here, and am scratching my head. I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and a wiring schematic for this unit. I don't even know if one exists but it sure would be helpful with this many issues all at once.

With the widespread issues happening, it may be advantageous for you to start at the battery and working towards the + and - buss bars, then beyond if necessary.... probably will find the underlying issue quicker this way.

carl.swoyer

Good day all,

I had a similar situation.
I call Heartland and the warranty department forwarded my problem to the engineer department. They responded with the location of the suspect short. Under the bed wire cap fell off and the wire we're touching. Caps on electric tape zip tie.
Problem solved.
Give them a try.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk