How to fix leaking pex in shower?

ctrim

We have a 2015 Oakmont, and there is a good size leak in the pex (fittings??) around the tub faucets. Hubby removed the little access cover plate, and could see water running down the inside of the wall (which is the bedroom wall) when the faucet was turned on. The water runs out around the garage area... he can see the pex, but how is one supposed to get to the fittings that are by the faucet? The only idea he can come up with is to cut a hole in the bedroom wall to access the plumbing, and then cover it up with some paneling. Is there another way? Thank you!
322668947_3738278749733546_1771458584236837663_n.jpg

Bogie

First, I would get a small hand held mirror and a flashlight. Look up inside to try and determine where the water is actually leaking.

If it is in fact only leaking when the faucet is on, it suggests the problem is with the faucet itself and not the pex.

Just a guess here, but most likely the hot and cold are connected with a screw on fitting to the back of the faucet. You probably need to reach your hand up inside the hole to remove the connections and then the nuts holding the faucet on the wall to remove the faucet.

Dahillbilly

going to agree with Bogie in post #2, if leaking only when water is running it's not the pex!! Loose fitting maybe on backside of faucet would be my guess.

centerline

the access hole you have open to take the picture can be bought in larger sizes.... do a search for..... round access hatch.

depending on how the floor plan, it may be easier to cut a bigger hole to access the plumbing thru the shower stall wall....

as the others have said, if it only leaks when you turn the faucet on in the shower, the leak has to be coming from the mixing valve or higher.... the lines shown thru the open hole are the pressurized lines from the FW system, running to the mixing valve in the shower.... if it was leaking from one of those lines, it would be leaking all the time that the pump is turned on, regardless of the valve being turned on.....

have you reached up inside the hole to see if the nuts are loose where the lines connect to the valve?.....

ctrim

the access hole you have open to take the picture can be bought in larger sizes.... do a search for..... round access hatch.

depending on how the floor plan, it may be easier to cut a bigger hole to access the plumbing thru the shower stall wall....

as the others have said, if it only leaks when you turn the faucet on in the shower, the leak has to be coming from the mixing valve or higher.... the lines shown thru the open hole are the pressurized lines from the FW system, running to the mixing valve in the shower.... if it was leaking from one of those lines, it would be leaking all the time that the pump is turned on, regardless of the valve being turned on.....
Thank you, yes we determined the faucet is no good and are replacing it today!

ctrim

going to agree with Bogie in post #2, if leaking only when water is running it's not the pex!! Loose fitting maybe on backside of faucet would be my guess.

First, I would get a small hand held mirror and a flashlight. Look up inside to try and determine where the water is actually leaking.

If it is in fact only leaking when the faucet is on, it suggests the problem is with the faucet itself and not the pex.

Just a guess here, but most likely the hot and cold are connected with a screw on fitting to the back of the faucet. You probably need to reach your hand up inside the hole to remove the connections and then the nuts holding the faucet on the wall to remove the faucet.
We actually thought of the hand held mirror and could see the water leaking out of the back of the faucet, so we are replacing it. The connections were too tight to remove using the small access hole so we are going to cut an access hole in the bedroom wall. Thank you!

pjones1969

Before you cut a hole in your bedroom you might be able to remove the faucet from the front side and access the connections right there from the the shower side

ctrim

Before you cut a hole in your bedroom you might be able to remove the faucet from the front side and access the connections right there from the the shower side
Hubby tried for 2 hours to loosen the nuts, using long handled pliers, and never was able to get it loose. It was just way too tight of a spot to get a grip on it, and then, he could only try to turn it about 1/8th of a turn at a time, so he decided a better access hole would be so much easier. If anyone has a hint on how to loosen the fittings that we haven't thought of, please share.

david-steph2018

Hubby tried for 2 hours to loosen the nuts, using long handled pliers, and never was able to get it loose. It was just way too tight of a spot to get a grip on it, and then, he could only try to turn it about 1/8th of a turn at a time, so he decided a better access hole would be so much easier. If anyone has a hint on how to loosen the fittings that we haven't thought of, please share.
Look at one of these tools:

wdk450

Hubby should remember the old hammer and chisel (or punch) setup to knock on the outside of a tight nut to start it spinning off. Access will determine if this will work.
The valve is most likely mounted during factory assembly with the shower enclosure unmounted and totally accessible, then PEX end fittings screwed onto the valve ports during final assembly. Not the same access the owner gets with the small access hole. My older trailer has about a 4 inch large access hole with a screw on cover.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Personally, I would opt for an access panel in the bedroom wall rather than trying to cut a neat hole in the plastic shower wall. Years ago, when my sister had a similar problem in an older Titanium with no access, I made a removable wood panel for the stairway wall that was on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk