I-17S Phoenix

Lynn1130

I-17 does not go to Tucson. OK, I will clarify that. I 17 turns into I-10 as you make the Durango Curve and then continues on to Tucson as I-10. There is no I-17 after that. But to answer the question, it is no problem if you avoid the 4-9 AM and 3-7 PM time slots. It is always pretty busy. Just pick the center lane and stay in it. That does two things. It keeps you out of the merging traffic in the right lanes and the idiots, or at least most of them who think the HOV and left lane are the Autobahn and allows you to move right if you need to exit at any point.

I-10 is very busy with trucks and is two lane for a bit south of the city. There are three lanes in areas on south and approaching Tucson so it is not too bad.

SNOKING

Or turn East on the 101 loop, East on the 202 loop and East on 60 and head down through Florence and have a nice comfortable drive coming into the North end of Tucson. Wave at Canyon Vistas RV Resort when you go by in Gold Canyon.

MTPockets

How's driving I-17S through Phoenix mid day to Tucson
I've been there a few times with and without the trailer. Stay out of right lane and drive the posted speed limit.. It's busy but everyone else will drive faster leaving you with a more comfortable drive.

Lynn1130

I have used the 101 to the 60, as I recall you do not need to involve the 202, and it is a reasonable drive but for someone who is not familiar with those freeways it can be a nightmare trying to be in or get to the correct lane to make the exchanges. I do not recommend it. I-17 to I-10, while as busy as the other routes is easy for someone who is on their first trip on the freeways. Not to mention that the other is extra miles (5). You go too far east and have to come back west on the 60 to get to the 17.

The 60 by the way has the nickname the "slingshot". An autobahn at anytime of the day.

We can add even more confusion to this by saying that you can take the 101 to the 51 to I-10. It does add a few miles but the interchange at the 10 gets a little dicey with lane changes that are necessary coming off of the 101.

Still, the route that is the easiest for a newbee is I-17 to I-10.

SNOKING

Well we have spent the last 8 winters in the East Valley towed and bobtailed thru Phoenix many times. We drive over to Surprise a lot with and without the trailer. We go straight thru Phoenix coming and going to Washington State and still have to watch our lanes carefully. The snowbirds have not yet arrive to slow down traffic, and locals drive REALLY FAST. Everyone in Phoenix is in a hurry. Sunday morning would be the best!!!! The route I laid out above would be the most relaxed during the week. The 10 from Phoenix to Tucson is a rat race also, with the section down to Casa Grande really bad.

Make sure you are all fueled and pottied up and not needing to get off the freeway in the greater Phoenix area.

One thing they do have that helps is highway numbers painted on the lanes at some of the interchanges. Chris

Lynn1130

Sorry Snoking, I disagree and I live here and have for the last 45 years, full time not just Winters. Our grand daughter and family live in East Mesa, and we travel to Tucson and parts in the SE part of the state regularly, with the 5th wheel much of the time. Your route is not best for a someone who is just passing through. AND the snowbirds are here. I run into them in Costco as they are stocking up on their return. Your route is a LONG, back way that will get someone who is new lost on the back roads into Tucson and have them back streeting through Tucson to get to where ever they want to go.

Piperflyer

I took I-17S right through Phoenix to I-10 around 1300 and it was a piece of cake. There was traffic, but I stayed in the middle lane and went through Phoenix at close to 65 mph the whole way. I think going through Atlanta is worse. Thanks for the help everybody. Safe travels.....

SNOKING

I took I-17S right through Phoenix to I-10 around 1300 and it was a piece of cake. There was traffic, but I stayed in the middle lane and went through Phoenix at close to 65 mph the whole way. I think going through Atlanta is worse. Thanks for the help everybody. Safe travels.....

Well if you had told us up front you had lived through Atlanta, we would had said pick a route and motor on.

East Bay of San Francisco at rush hour pales to Atlanta. Chris