I-95 SC to Daytona

EPaulikonis

Seeking advice on I-95 travel from junction of I-26 near Holly Hill, SC, down to Daytona, FL. Heading to the Dayton 500 on February 15th and have heard some horror stories about travelling the I-95 corridor, so wanted to check with the experts on current issues, concerns, or travel opinions for this segment. The I-95 Coalition site only shows three different construction zones in this stretch, but I'm leery of quality of info on any Website. Starting our journey from Dayton, OH, so only optional route would be I-75S into Ocala, FL, to catch FL40E to Daytona. Appreciate the communities feedback as always. Thanks.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I-95 thru South Carolina is a concrete surface therefore it's rough so travel a little slower. Once you get into GA it turns back into asphalt so driving is much better. With 95 being a north/south thruway, it's always busy.

akf15e

Eric,

I travel I-95 regularly (monthly) from MD to the FL line both for work and towing our 5er. I-95 in SC is painful, one of the worst roads I've been on other than in Alaska (frost heaves). It is mostly concrete with the attendant rough ride and terrible pot holes that you get on concrete roads. In fact, even when towing I will check my mirrors, and if it is clear well behind me I pull out into the left lane just to avoid the craters the semis have put in the right lane. When I see someone approaching from behind, I move back over of course. This makes it more bearable. The upside is that traffic is generally light and you can make decent time. Once you get into GA it is much, much better. The road widens to 3 lanes and flows much better and is very smooth! In SC be careful around Ridgeland. The local cops are using I-95 commuters to pay the bills and are always setting up speed traps.

Safe travels!

Last edited:

Birchwood

Travel the I 95 and show patience.With the low fuel costs there are lots of people in the south this winter.

Westwind

I travel I-95 from New England to Florida and back every year for the last 12 years, NC, SC, and Georgia are easy traveling I don't feel you will have any problems with the trip, SC is only two lanes and traffic can get stopped up if there is an accident but what highway doesn't. We experienced stop and go traffic this year two days after Christmas but every snowbird in the east side of the US was headed to Florida. I'm sure the highway will be busy but travel cautiously and you should be fine.

EPaulikonis

Thank you for sharing the info on your travel experiences. Your feedback has made the decision to travel 95 and save myself an hour and a half a much easier one. Now lets go racing!

Rodbuster

Hi Eric,

I live about 10 miles south of Daytona Beach and feel comfortable in saying that your decision on taking Rt.95 is a good one. Don't think for a second that Rt.40 from Ocala to Daytona won't have it's share of heavy trafic.

We also pull a Landmark and the best advice that I could give you is allow plenty of distance between you and the vehicle that you are following and just "go with the flow".

Safe travels,
Dick