I joined the blowmax club

ILH

Earlier today my wife, son and I were travelling from our home in Ontario to Lake George in New York. My tpms gave no warning when the rear driver-side tire on my trailer blew. Fortunately I was able to quickly move over to the shoulder. The tire had completely blown off the decorative skirt over both tires - in fact, I have no idea where it ended up. The lower sheet metal was badly twisted and part of the slide seal was pulled away. The tire's outside belt was thrown across the highway.I have pictures that I'll post tomorrow once I get them off my phone. Thank goodness for AAA roadside service. We're now safely at Lake George. However, I need a replacement spare (at minimum) - and more likely replacement of aff four tires.Does anybody have a recommendation for tire dealers in the area????

Jim.Allison

You are the second to check in this weekend..........Sorry.........Head straight to a goodyear dealer and buy a set of G614s or buy what you need to get home then address the tire problem there. The G614 is an G rated LT tire. At 110 psi its load range is 3750 lbs. as opposed to the 3420 of the TowMax ST. BUT, BUT, BUT......Your rims must be rated for the same load and pressure. The specs are casted into the back of the wheel. It should say very clearly 3750 and 110 psi. IF it does the G614 is for you. The G614 is the optional G tire that heartland would have offered on that rig. Since you have 6 wheels you will be in really good shape with this tire. BTW, Your comprehensive insurance should compensate you for the damage. If I had it to do over again, I would have prepared the
damage myself and put the extra money toward the tires. I could have done a better job on the repair. The parts were cheap but the labor was incredibly expensive. My parts came from heartland prepainted. But if you had to you could get a body shop to paint it for you. Just an idea. I only have 4 wheels so I went to a more substancial tire than the G614, you have 6 wheels the 614 should do just fine for you.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

Earlier today my wife, son and I were travelling from our home in Ontario to Lake George in New York. My tpms gave no warning when the rear driver-side tire on my trailer blew. Fortunately I was able to quickly move over to the shoulder. The tire had completely blown off the decorative skirt over both tires - in fact, I have no idea where it ended up. The lower sheet metal was badly twisted and part of the slide seal was pulled away. The tire's outside belt was thrown across the highway.I have pictures that I'll post tomorrow once I get them off my phone. Thank goodness for AAA roadside service. We're now safely at Lake George. However, I need a replacement spare (at minimum) - and more likely replacement of aff four tires.Does anybody have a recommendation for tire dealers in the area????

stevenssr

I'm getting ready to order the 614's, so I went underneath to look for the wheel ratings. I got a picture of the PSI rating, but you can see the load rating is right next to it. On mine, it's on the inside part of the wheel spoke. I wish I had a dealer recommendation. I'm going to try Discount Tire first.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but good luck with the repairs.
Scott
IMG_1179.jpg

Jim.Allison

You might find an internet deal on them, no tax no freight delivered to your front door. I have done that before and then I take them to a little tire shop in the country who mounts and balances for cheap. Or for trade for the old tires. Works for me, I get an internet deal no tax and cheap mounting and balancing. After all there is no rocket science to the art.

I'm getting ready to order the 614's, so I went underneath to look for the wheel ratings. I got a picture of the PSI rating, but you can see the load rating is right next to it. On mine, it's on the inside part of the wheel spoke. I wish I had a dealer recommendation. I'm going to try Discount Tire first.

Scott
View attachment 31157

ncrzrbk

Mine blew three weeks ago. I replaced them with bridgestone duravis r250. Lt 235/85/16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Scott
View attachment 31157

Discount Tire can probably take care of you just fine. They ordered Maxxis for us and installed them. Only issue we had was that they tried to jack on the axle, and I had to stop them -- we then used our Ground Control to lift the coach for them for the tire change.

Shop around the internet for pricing. Discount Tire will match pricing! Also make sure to ask for full metal valve stems, balancing and road hazard warranty.

ILH

You are the second to check in this weekend..........Sorry.........Head straight to a goodyear dealer and buy a set of G614s or buy what you need to get home then address the tire problem there. The G614 is an G rated LT tire. At 110 psi its load range is 3750 lbs. as opposed to the 3420 of the TowMax ST. BUT, BUT, BUT......Your rims must be rated for the same load and pressure. The specs are casted into the back of the wheel. It should say very clearly 3750 and 110 psi. IF it does the G614 is for you. The G614 is the optional G tire that heartland would have offered on that rig. Since you have 6 wheels you will be in really good shape with this tire. BTW, Your comprehensive insurance should compensate you for the damage. If I had it to do over again, I would have prepared the
damage myself and put the extra money toward the tires. I could have done a better job on the repair. The parts were cheap but the labor was incredibly expensive. My parts came from heartland prepainted. But if you had to you could get a body shop to paint it for you. Just an idea. I only have 4 wheels so I went to a more substancial tire than the G614, you have 6 wheels the 614 should do just fine for you.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

Jim - thanks for the info on the rims. I checked, mine is rated for the higher load. However, my 305 is only a twin axle.

I'll be calling the insurance company this morning to see what I'm covered for. I have a different policy for my trailer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You might also call Tredit and see if they will help with the repair. For right now...save the old tires.

Jim.Allison

It should be under the comprehensive portion. For a trailer this is fairly inexpensive you may have elected 0 deductible.
Jim - thanks for the info on the rims. I checked, mine is rated for the higher load. However, my 305 is only a twin axle.

I'll be calling the insurance company this morning to see what I'm covered for. I have a different policy for my trailer.

Miltp920

Sailun is 14 ply G rated and half the price of the GY G614. I went 12 ply with Carlisle RH, close to Sailun price. I heard discount stops at 10 ply tires due to need for heavy duty equipment. GY tires are available at GY service centers. You can google for locations. IF you go over 10 ply tires you may have to find a truck tire center instead of a car tire center, I did. Discount should be able to direct you IF they do not carry 12 or 14 ply. You may be able to get away with 10 ply Maxis, but I went up to 12 ply for margin. My 5er is 15500lb on two axles less pin weight, so about 12,000lbs on two axles. It seems that a 5er that heavy needs MORE than 10 ply for margin. Compare your weight. Good luck. I have read TOO many blowout stories on 10 ply ST tires. My future 5er tires will be 12 or 14 ply, probably Sailun 14 ply based on what I have read on this site.

We are the newest members to this club. One blew out going down the highway and then when I got that changed I was pulling into the dealers lot (5 miles away), the other one blew on the same side. Propane line, break lines and refrigerator lines all shredded. This really freaked me out since I had my 8 year old in the truck with me and we just came down Cameron Pass here in Colorado. For toughs of you that don't know this pass, it is about 10,200 feet with step cliffs. I could only imagine what would have happened if it blew on that narrow road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    795.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

theroes

Make sure you contact blowmax. I just received a check for $168 for the two bad tires I had. Now the sailun S637s only cost me $750.

ILH

I'm able to get the G614s locally, installed, for $305 after Goodyear rebate. Hopefully that's pretty good. Now all I have to do is close up the trailer and take it over to the tire dealer - easier said than done when you consider we're on vacation and setup at the campground. Arrrg.

Jim.Allison

You are doing the right thing and tomorrow night you will be back at the campsite "pride in ownership".
I'm able to get the G614s locally, installed, for $305 after Goodyear rebate. Hopefully that's pretty good. Now all I have to do is close up the trailer and take it over to the tire dealer - easier said than done when you consider we're on vacation and setup at the campground. Arrrg.

ILH

How old were your tires? Mine have been on for 3 seasons.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
That's a very good price! You may want to check the date code on the sidewalls before you sign. (The first two digits are the week and the last two are the year) I doubt the tires will be more than a couple months old because of demand but I like to cover all bases.

ILH

Finally...piece of mind. I drove across town and got all four tires changed this morning. Not an expense I was looking for on a vacation - but they will serve me well for the next 5 years! **** they look sweet!

IMG_20140814_161313.jpg IMG_20140814_161348.jpg

Now all I need to do is reprogram my tpms for the higher pressures.