I want to buy a golf cart - recommendations

porthole

Retired
Bill, I raised the rear floorboard on mine to be level with the bag well, solved the clearance issues getting up the ramp.
Something else to keep in mind. When going up the ramp with an electric cart - that is no the time to be playing with the go pedal.

Backing down a bit and then trying to go forward is how I smoked the controller in our cart. The new controller is a much heavier duty model and that should no longer be an issue.

FiremanBill

Bill, I raised the rear floorboard on mine to be level with the bag well, solved the clearance issues getting up the ramp.
Something else to keep in mind. When going up the ramp with an electric cart - that is no the time to be playing with the go pedal.

Backing down a bit and then trying to go forward is how I smoked the controller in our cart. The new controller is a much heavier duty model and that should no longer be an issue.

I could see where that would be an issue. I was actually thinking of a small winch or even just a come-along ratchet to get it up in there, especially if it is wet.

porthole

Retired
You been looking at my trailer :rolleyes:

I had the come-a-long for awhile (might even still be in the storage box), but I have since added a small remote control winch. It uses a key fob and my main reason was to assist getting the bike in if it is wet. I would not take the chance of running my 800 pound bike up a wet ramp.

The winch on it's own is not strong enough to pull the 800 pound bike or cart up. So what I have is the winch mounted off to the left side and use a small pulley to change direction at the middle or either side as needed. I use a second pulley to act as a snatch block. This has worked well so far and what was needed to get the cart in when I burned the controller.

FiremanBill

You been looking at my trailer :rolleyes:

I had the come-a-long for awhile (might even still be in the storage box), but I have since added a small remote control winch. It uses a key fob and my main reason was to assist getting the bike in if it is wet. I would not take the chance of running my 800 pound bike up a wet ramp.

The winch on it's own is not strong enough to pull the 800 pound bike or cart up. So what I have is the winch mounted off to the left side and use a small pulley to change direction at the middle or either side as needed. I use a second pulley to act as a snatch block. This has worked well so far and what was needed to get the cart in when I burned the controller.

I did see your pics but I had the idea already from years of snatching old broken down VW's out of peoples backyards and such!

You have a pretty neat setup, will mimic it more than likely.:)

TheLindsays

We love our EZ-GO.. we bought it from a company here in Fl... they buy used and rehab them and customize to your liking... we had them make ours match our big truck... like a mini-me ...you can google and find parts and do the work yourself but you can probably find someone there that does it just as cheap as they buy the carts in bulk from rental companies etc. the place we bought from puts new batteries in all their carts as they said you don't know if the old ones were maintained properly etc. .. also a side note.. some parks don't allow gas carts so electric is the way to go and the charge lasts a long time too... have fun..oh.. and they made it so we could remove the roof for storage in the trailer as we have the bed above and it didn't fit .. mostly due to the 6" lift and big tires..

FiremanBill

Well we got us one! Sweet deal on a restored/reconditioned, or whatever you want to call it, 92 Club car. Picked it up off another retired AF guy that owns an SOB 5er. He has fixed or replaced everything on her. It's got a real nice after market dash with locking compartments, a Grant GT steering wheel, new tires brakes bearings and such, recovered upholstery, back seat, lights, windshield and NEW BATTERIES! He showed me a fairly recent receipt for the new trojan batteries in it.

And it has two really cool flags on it! lol

Attachments

• IMG_20130626_183432_524.jpg
    IMG_20130626_183432_524.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20130626_183415_573.jpg
    IMG_20130626_183415_573.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20130626_183457_107.jpg
    IMG_20130626_183457_107.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20130626_183308_922.jpg
    IMG_20130626_183308_922.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20130626_183404_814.jpg
    IMG_20130626_183404_814.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 86

FiremanBill

Thanks Art, found it on craigslist over in Smithfield. We're going up to Misty Mountain for the 4th, can't wait to try her out!

jimandjean

Re: I want to buy a golf cart - BOUGHT ONE!

My opinion, invest or the increased value and usability of an LSV. rides a looks like a GC, but street legal. Love mine. I have the Tomberlin 48SS. But it's less the brand and more being able to title, plate, and insure it.

And that comes in very handy at campgrounds that say 'no' to GC's. So I show up with mine, and when they say 'no' I kindly ask if they also forbid a Prius. That's usually sufficient along w a copy of my insurance card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

I don't know how it is in the rest of the Country, but in New Jersey if you want a street legal cart, you buy a cart that was built as street legal. You cannot take a standard golf cart and make it street legal.

jimandjean

I don't know how it is in the rest of the Country, but in New Jersey if you want a street legal cart, you buy a cart that was built as street legal. You cannot take a standard golf cart and make it street legal.

That's why I said mine is an LSV. a built to purpose low speed vehicle. But most folks can't tell it's not a GC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

That's why I said mine is an LSV. a built to purpose low speed vehicle. But most folks can't tell it's not a GC.

Yes I know, was just making a point for anyone wondering about converting. You can buy all the 'stuff' that a LSV has and put it on a standard cart, still doesn't make it street legal.

I would have bought a LSV but our town is one of the 6 in the state that does not allow LSV's on the road.
That reason and the fact that I missed by a month the federal and state rebates that made a new LSV final cost of about $1500 ..............