Impressions a year later

SeattleLion

It's been almost a year since we toured our Bighorn 3160EL at the Seattle RV show and decided to buy it. Over that time we have had our share of ups and downs. This post is intended to offer my perspective on our Heartland experience:
  • Our initial perception of the 3160 was that it had everything we could want. A year later after 10 trips, we discovered our perception was correct. There are so many thoughtful details that have made our trips better. Most notable for me is that every single time I needed an electrical outlet, there was one right where I wanted it. The placement of cabinets, closets, furniture, etc. is as good as we have seen anywhere. We compared our BH with some top of the line units from other manufacturers. Incredibly to us, there was very little difference between our BH and much more expensive units.
  • The prewiring for satellite TV was amazing. We bought the Winegard Trav'ler and all I had to do was bring two DVR's from the house, plug in and go.
  • We love the 6 point leveling. It has made setting up simple and very fast.
  • The initial quality left a lot to be desired. We ended up with over 25 items that needed fixing or replacing. None affected operation of the trailer, but all reflected poor workmanship. On the other hand, the quality of materials used is top notch. No junk at all,
  • Our bedroom slide failed after we had it home for the winter. Heartland authorized my dealer to go to our home and perform the repairs. The entire cable system had to be replaced. The tech said it was due to poor setup at the factory.
  • The "luxury" mattress provided with the trailer is pretty uncomfortable. It is amazingly light weight (maybe why it isn't so good to sleep on). We are replacing it with a residential queen mattress. For the price of this BH, a better mattress should have been included. Even if it added $300 to the price, it would be worth it.
  • Customer service has been excellent. I've called them several times and each time they helped me with one notable exception. That exception had to do with rust under the trailer. Heartland says that is the dealer's responsibility. I disagree. However, I feel that customer service has always been on my side.
  • Our dealer has been fair with us and the service department, while slow, has done excellent work. This is our second camper. Both came from the same dealer.
  • We attended the Washington Rally last summer. It was fun to go but not so easy to fit in as newbies. I think it might be a good idea for the chapter leaders to work out ways to make it easier to fit in. Everyone was friendly. We just didn't have the context of all the old timers.
  • I wonder why there are no Landmark dealers anywhere near Seattle. It is the largest (and probably richest) city in the Northwest. There isn't a single Landmark at either the Tacoma or Seattle RV shows. Had there been one, we might have gotten one of them instead of the BH.
  • I get the strong feeling that Heartland has neglected the West Coast. I read the article that they plan to expand to the West in 2016. About time! The west is the biggest regional market for RV's. I congratulate Jim for making the treck across the Rockies to join us in Washington and Oregon rallies. It's going to be great to meet him and it shows Heartland is aware we exist. It would be even better if the factory also sent some reps (or one rep) from the factory to offer suggestions and support to those attending. I've heard they do this in the East.
  • My wife and I (and our dog who finally decided she wouldn't die if she went inside the BH) have loved our travels with the BH. We should be even happier this summer with the quality problems fixed. We plan to buy better tires before we travel again.

That's it. We love our BH and we are very happy campers.

jdamude

Well said Bob. We too just had our first year with our Big Country. Although we had issues with it, the factory support has been outstanding. Having twelve previous RV's of all different types, the problems we encountered were not uncommon for the industry. We spent most of last season setting our trailer up to suit our preferences. I agree that the factory would be better including some better quality materials like the bed mattress and tires.

We we also attended our first Rally last summer and as newbies we felt uncortable. I guess the solution is to attend more rallies and get to know the attendees better. I'm sure all the friends that have been made at these rallies once felt like we do. Our plans are to attend 2-3 rallies this year.

Jeff

MTPockets

Our first Rally was about the same as described; probably normal, but wasn't sure exactly when/where/what to do between scheduled evening pot luck and an entertainment night. Our second rally was more comfortable and now after several, it works better. Different people dynamics, personalities, etc. but we learned to just jump in and go with the flow; we'll continue a few each year as we travel around.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Bob and Kim,

I truly hope we did nothing to contribute to your feeling of not fitting in. If so, I truly apologize as that was not our intent. We are relatively new Chapter Leaders and are trying hard to create fun filled rallies that EVERYONE is invited to with open arms. We do not want a clique feeling or atmosphere of exclusion, which is why everything we try to do is for everyone.

Hopefully you come to the 2015 Washington and Oregon Rallies this year and give us another shot. If you have any suggestions of things we can do to be more accommodating and inviting I would cherish the feedback.

Rod Ditrich

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I will had my comments to Rod's. I hope we don't make anyone uncomfortable or feel left out. I know we try to make it around to talk with everyone and try to make sure everyone knows what is going on all the time.

It was hard when we went to our first rally because we didn't know anyone either and had only had our trailer out a couple of times. We jumped in and ended up meeting people we still like to camp with. It's hard if you are shy by nature.

Please give us us some ideas about what we could do to help newcomers feel more comfortable. I think every chapter and regional leader would like some ideas since I'm sure this is a common issue we all face.

We look forward to seeing you this summer.

Kristy

SeattleLion

Bob and Kim,

I truly hope we did nothing to contribute to your feeling of not fitting in. If so, I truly apologize as that was not our intent. We are relatively new Chapter Leaders and are trying hard to create fun filled rallies that EVERYONE is invited to with open arms. We do not want a clique feeling or atmosphere of exclusion, which is why everything we try to do is for everyone.

Hopefully you come to the 2015 Washington and Oregon Rallies this year and give us another shot. If you have any suggestions of things we can do to be more accommodating and inviting I would cherish the feedback.

Rod Ditrich

Rod,

You were a gracious host. We appreciated the chance to meet you. We are both rather shy and don't want to intrude. A great deal of the unscheduled activities seemed to be arranged by people who had longstanding relationships. We were uncomfortable about butting in. As others have expressed, this appears to be pretty common. The two possible outcomes of this are that you make some friends and come back, or just cross rallies off the "to do" list. We discussed whether we should just fade away from the rallies. I didn't want to. So, we are booked into both Oregon and Washington rallies this year.

It isn't really your job to social direct things and you and your wife are both warm and friendly people. It may just be the nature of rallies. If so, then I guess we will fade away too. It was clear at the WA rally last year that many of the people run into each other many times a year. Unlike most of the attendees, we only go out on weekends in the summer. We are both working full time. It was my impression that the rally is more suited to folks who travel much more than us.

One thought I had was maybe newer people get "adopted" by more experienced members and maybe get included in some of the casual fun that way. Just a thought.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's not a bad idea. I too was new two years ago when I basically just walked into a gathering at the pre pre rally and introduced myself to jayc and bobcat both and here I am now with my own chapter. I am a little different in the fact that my daily life is in sales and I don't have problem meeting strangers, just think of them as friends who don't know it yet. I am very direct and sometimes my DW does not appreciate it but if I see or hear something going on that I find interesting I am going to insert myself into it. But you make a very good point and I will try to put your idea into action when new folks show up. So far the newbies have been as outgoing as myself....ie Baker (little guy) here on the forum. Thank you for pointing this out. If you ever find yourself in SWLA please look me up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Well said Bob. We too just had our first year with our Big Country. Although we had issues with it, the factory support has been outstanding. Having twelve previous RV's of all different types, the problems we encountered were not uncommon for the industry. We spent most of last season setting our trailer up to suit our preferences. I agree that the factory would be better including some better quality materials like the bed mattress and tires.

We we also attended our first Rally last summer and as newbies we felt uncortable. I guess the solution is to attend more rallies and get to know the attendees better. I'm sure all the friends that have been made at these rallies once felt like we do. Our plans are to attend 2-3 rallies this year.

Jeff

I know just how you felt. At least you have a nice (big) RV. My 1st rally was in our itsy bitsy TT. Got lost parked among those big rigs. Hence, the 'Lil Guy'. I went to our 1st one for info, knowing we were going to upgrade. That in itself is a great way to meet people. They love to share their knowledge and there is a lot to be had at these rallys.
We felt a little uncomfortable since everyone seemed to be paired with friends but that is to be expected. We met a few people we really liked and look forward to seeing again. We went to our 2nd one in La. and met other people we really look forward to seeing again. (They may not want to see me again). If you ever see a smaller 5th wheel with a flag of Yosemite Sam and the words 'Lil Guy', stop in and say hi. We would like to share a glass of wine with you. Don't give up on the rallys. When you attend another one, notice the new people as they are introduced and invite them over to your campsite for a cocktail or conversation. I'm sure they will feel like you and I did on our 1st one and would love the company. If you are ever lucky enough to meet the Bakers, I'll show you how to crash campsites and make friend where ever you are.lol

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As a chapter leader for 6 years, this is what I do for the newbies. I try to make a personal contact....phone, emails, or PM's. If they live close and we have a rally somewhere, I ask them if they want to travel with us to the event. I make it a point to introduce them to friends that we have made in our travels and now they have a personal contact other than me. Lots of our Socal members exchange PH#'s and sometimes stay in contact with each other while even at home. So far at every event we have gone to no matter who is putting it on...we have never meet anyone that was not friendly. May take a day or two to meet everyone but that is life no matter what you do as a group. I do believe that the HL people are the best out there. We all have the propane fire pits, get everyone together at night, bring our chairs and sit in a big circle, drink an adult beverage and just visit. By the end of the night everyone has moved around to different conversations and sitting in someones else's chair...and no one cares. Works very well for us. JMHO