Inside bathroom exterior wall

Steadfast

Does anyone know what is behind the wall, under the mirror in the bathroom in a 2011 3670? I want to mount a small shelf there but don't want to hit any vital systems. In any case, I will be using short screws. Thanks. Craig

Westwind

I can't answer your question, but I wonder if removing the cabinet over the vanity would give you any clues, you might benefit by asking the factory.

jpajax

PICT0971.jpg0320111401.jpg0320111400.jpgI put one in mine and had know problem. Also made coat rack that I put next to entrance door. Just use screws that are just long enough to penetrate the paneling with out going know more than a 1/16 of an inch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Get down in the basement under your bathroom (or just look inside the sink cabinet) and locate where the water supply, drain, and vent pipes are for the sink. You might also be able to see where any wiring for lights or outlets are run up. On older 3670's, with the sink against the outer wall and the two sliding door, only some 12V bedroom ceiling light wiring was in the small wall between the doors. It would be my guess that's all you'll find in yours.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This what I would add to the suggestions. Use "molly fasterers". The thin plywood is not very strong unless you can find a stud.

lorax

Any ideas about the length of screws to use? "Molly" meaning the winged things. Did I mention that I did have shop in my high school.

Ted

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
SEE HARBOR FREIGHT ITEM #1210 $17.00 FOR A SIMILAR TOOL. IT DOES THE SAME THING, BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE POP RIVET KIT.
image_18300.jpg

ChopperBill

Well I learned something new. I didnt know they made a Nut-sert tool. I could have used something like that a hundred times! Thanks for the info.

Westwind

I've never heard of a net insert tool, but if I understand this right the tool insterts the nut into the Wall? So that you can then screw something to the wall and it holds, like a shelf?

RoadJunkie

Yup. For example; I was replacing a license plate on my VW only to find the metal nut on the vehicle was just rotating as I tried to unscrew the bolt. When I took the other three nuts off of the vehicle the nut just pulled out from the vehicle leaving a hole in the trunk sheet metal. I used this tool to insert a nut "blank" (mine unit came with several thread sizes of about 25 each) and reattached a threaded nut to the sheet metal. Again, this nut insert tool forces a bulge behind the material (sheet metal in this case) and creates a tight spin resistant means attach a nut. I would probably try this approach on a similar piece of fiberboard prior to drilling a hole in the rig...just to make sure the attachment is tight and won't spin, although you probably don't need much torque on the screw.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
The nutsert is for either thin sheet metal or for solid material. They make two different types of nutserts. However, they do not work in wood, plywood, soft material, sheet rock, & etc. Mainly used in truck, automotive and some places on aircraft. I've sold them for the last 32 years or so. Great idea and they work great for certain purposes. Come in several different sized, metric and usa threads, fine & coarse. 6-32,8-32,10-32, 10-24, 1/4, 5/16, & 3/8".

RoadJunkie

The nutsert is for either thin sheet metal or for solid material. .

Kenny, you'll have to define "solid material". I agree that sheet rock is too weak under compression, but for the OP's application (compressed fiber board?), I would certainly experiment with a like-material to determine effectiveness. Too bad you can't get a washer behind the panel to bolster the connection. :)