Inspect your shore power cord periodically....

cgaskins

Just a public service announcement.... inspect your shore power cord - specifically the male connectors - periodically.

While we were on vacation, I encountered an issue with my 50 amp RV power cord. So all was well when we were in Angel Fire, NM. But when we arrived in Durango, CO and I went to plug in my power cord, I noticed that the ground pin was missing from the male end of my RV power cord (the end that plugs into the shore power pedestal). Lovely…. So it was about 4:00pm on a Friday afternoon when we arrived in Durango. I asked the RV Resort hosts if they had a spare – Nope. I called the only RV parts store / dealer in town and the parts department was already gone for the weekend. Crap. I then went to Home Depot (far side of town) looking for the male end 50 amp connector. Well they had the female end but not the male. Crap! At this point with no parts and no spares, I had to get creative. I purchased some heavy duty sealing wire nuts, some nice wire strippers, and a ton of electrical tape from Home Depot. Then I got to work cobbling together a solution to hold me temporarily. The RV Resort (Alpen Rose RV Resort) let us use their shop which had a nice work bench and large heavy duty vise. Luckily I had a 50 amp extension cord in the basement of my 5th wheel. So we cut off the male end of the extension cord and spliced it onto the RV power cord. It took about an hour to get it done but it worked well.

The moral to this story is you might want to carry a spare 50 amp male & female power connector with you or at least inspect your male connector ends more regularly than I did. I have a cord reel in my basement and I always insert the RV end of the cord into it so the male end is dragging on the ground when I roll it up. I suspect this had something to do with the failure of the ground pin.

When we returned home, I found a heavy duty replacement 50 amp male connector on Amazon and I ordered 2 of them. One of them to fix my RV power cord and the other to fix my 50 amp extension cord.

Attachments

• PXL_20210808_001725576.jpg
    PXL_20210808_001725576.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20210808_011611214.jpg
    PXL_20210808_011611214.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20210808_135324470.jpg
    PXL_20210808_135324470.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20210821_180257838.jpg
    PXL_20210821_180257838.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20210821_180654179.jpg
    PXL_20210821_180654179.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 28

danemayer

Chris, thanks for sharing this. Most of the time, the ground pin doesn't do anything. But if you had plugged it in with the broken ground, any partial or complete 120V AC short circuit in the coach would have electrified the skin of the trailer, presenting a likely lethal hazard.

wdk450

Just to go one step beyond your helpful announcement, I would like to recommend that you check your shore power cable grounding with an ohmmeter occasionally if you do not have a power protection EMS system that will tell you that you have a ground fault.

A few weeks ago I was staying at an older section of an older park which has had electrical problems for years. When I set up I noted that the shorepower pedestal socket had 6 volts AC on the neutral pin socket, but everything else seemed OK. Neutral to ground should ideally be 0 volts AC as they are bonded together somewhere upstream in the system. I plugged shorepower in and my EMS shut off the power with a ground problem fault code. I attributed this to the park's neutral problem, and put the protection in bypass to have power. About a week later we were notified that the park was going to shut off power for a day to work on the system. I got my portable generator going (which has a plug to short the neutral and ground) and still got the ground fault code on my EMS. When I later moved to a park with a newer electrical system, I again got the ground error on the EMS, and then it got through my thick skull I REALLY DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY GROUNDING. A little checking with my multimeter showed that the ground wire was broken WITHIN the molded male plug of my shorepower cord. I put a temporary jumper wire between my trailer frame and the metal ground on the park electrical pedestal (which immediately eliminated the bad ground error code), and ordered both end connectors for the 50 amp cable through E-Bay. I noted that the grounding part of the trailer connector was plated, and the plating was coming off, so I replaced it too.

I want to say that having a bench vise mounted on a wood sheet that I can C clamp to a campground picnic table made working with the large unwieldy shorepower cable much easier. I cut off the old connectors from the cable with a hacksaw, then proceeded to wire on the new ones.
Everything checked out with my multimeter, and grounding error codes are gone.