Installed a self cleaning catgenie

Jgermany

We have a half bath off of kitchen. This is the location we had our cats litter box. My wife and I really cannot stand cleaning the box so we looked into alternatives to make living fulltime in are camper easier. Ordered the catgenie with a dome. Installed a pex tee with a ball valve to shut the water supply off when necessary and drilled a hole in the sink drain plumbing just below the vent to intall a threaded 90° elbow for the catgenie drain. The threaded 90° was spun in and I used JBweld white waterweld to seal it to the abs drain pipe. We did drill a small hole in the face of the vanity cabinet to feed the water supply and drain line through for appearance. 120v power cord is plugged in to a brown extension cord and is tucked away around the window box and isn't really noticeable. We hardly ever have to touch this litter box other than changing a sanitizer/deodorizer cartridge and adding some plastic litter to it. If you have a cat and hate dealing with the mess this could be a option for you. There are 4 things needed: Space, its kind of big- water supply-a drain and a 120v recepticle nearby.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very cool! Would love to see a picture of it installed in your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

I think you just have to have a few more posts. I sent you an email, too.

Oregon_Camper

So the kitty litter (granules) are going down into the Grey Water tank?

Love the concept, but wondering if the kitty litter might cause a waste tank valve to get stuck open a bit, say if some litter accumulated around the valve gasket.

farside291

We used to keep a cat box in the shower. Bad idea, those clumping chunks of litter sure made a mess out of my plumbing. Had to pull the entire drain out, fortunately the clump never made it to the grey tank.

danemayer

I looked at the CatGenie website and it says you never need cat litter, so I infer that means that it doesn't go down the drain.

farside291

Hmmm, that being said, we probably would still have cats :)

I just read up on the CatGenie I definitely would have bought one of these. That seems pretty awesome, thanks for sharing. I just hope the DW doesn't see it. 2 Chiguagua's and a Cat???, in the fifth wheel, sounds entertaining at the least.

Jgermany

Cats are wierd so dont count on not buying granuals. Our cat seems to track them out of her box and digs them out on purpose. Maybe its me but I think its done just to irritate me. I just wait until I hear it running then I will take the dome off and dump the litter on her mat back into it. As far as some granuals going down the drain im sure it happens. Im not going misguide you on that. So far we have ran this cat genie maybe 6-7 months and I have changed the sanitizer cartridge once and added granuals to the set level once. It didnt take much to refill it. The cat does track them out of the box and they get swept and thrown away. I will keep using it regardless

TravelTiger

My guess would be some granules stick to solid waste, and get "processed" for evacuation with that solid waste. It does say they degrade in 9 months in a septic system, so they are hopefully not going to be an accumulating problem.

Jeremy, do you have it draining into a grey tank or black tank?

Jgermany

The only drain i could use is the grey tank. It is valved open and usually once a week i will close it to collect the vanity sink and kitchen sink water to flush it. It never has a odor and the sani solution actually does a great job of cleaning the water sensor. The front grey tank sensor takes alot of work to get it working correctly.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
An interesting device, but I've been cleaning litter boxes for several cats since 1974. I find that it gives me an indication of their health by seeing what their stools and urine volumes (clumping litter) are looking like. At home and in the trailer, I scoop the waste into a coffee can lined with a plastic shopping bag and lid. When full, the bag goes in the trash.