Installing a Onan 4000 to a 50 amp Service

treitz

I just bought a Torque T26 with a 50 amp service one ac unit. I am installing a 4000 watt Onan and have a wiring question.
I opened the junction box in the storage compartment to hook up the generator wires. The box is set up for 240 with a red and black leads. Do I hook the generator to both legs or just one. Not sure how the transfer switch handles 120 volt hook up. I am pretty well versed in electric wiring but not sure on this one. Wish I had a wiring diagram for this unit.

Thanks
Tim

hoefler

On the Generator side of the transfer switch, tie the black and red to the black of the generator

danemayer

If the generator has 2 circuit breakers on the front panel, there will be 2 hot wires, a neutral and a ground coming off the generator. If that's the case, the 2 hots get connected to their counterparts (black and red) in the junction box.

If the generator has a single breaker, there's probably only 1 hot wire, 1 neutral, and 1 ground coming off the generator. In that case you'd connect the single hot wire to both the red and black in the junction box. Doing so would provide power to both legs in the coa

Last edited:

wdk450

I think you need to understand 50 amp RV electrical service better. The 50 amp RV service has 2 phases (50 amps each) of 120 VAC . If you measure across the two hot leads you will measure 220 VAC. The standard generator installed by Heartland has the same 2 phases of 120 volts to ground, 220 volts between hot wires of the two phases.

The automatic transfer switch for 50 amp RV service has two hot contactor relay contact sets, and one neutral contact set. Ground is simply wired through.

treitz

Thanks for the help. I kind of thought that red and black would tie in together to the single black on the gen to feed both legs. Makes sense and there is no 240 volt appliances in the unit so I get it.

wdk450

Your wiring plan for the generator connections is what happens in the RV 50 amp receptacle to RV 30 amp plug adapter pigtail.

porthole

Retired
The normal Onan 'green' generator installed by most manufacturers as well as Heartland is not a 120/240 generator.
The two windings are in phase and output is limited to 120 x 2.

You cannot get 240 out of the generator.