Installing Firestone Airbags

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The UPS man just dropped off the Firestone Airbag kit for my 2012 Dodge 3500.
The instructions say first thing "...does not require drilling into the frame". I hope that turns out to be true!
Before I crawl under the truck does anyone have any helpful hints from their experience installing them?
Thank you in advance

rustyshakelford

The UPS man just dropped off the Firestone Airbag kit for my 2012 Dodge 3500.
The instructions say first thing "...does not require drilling into the frame". I hope that turns out to be true!
Before I crawl under the truck does anyone have any helpful hints from their experience installing them?
Thank you in advance

On your factory trailer hitch,there's two holes that's where I ran my airlines too. Iirc, dropping the tire helps. All in all, not a bad job

brett

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Brett,
It sounds like you fill the bags individually. I'm thinking that for pulling the 5er the single point system is fine. Am I missing a good reason to keep the bags separate?
Thanks for the tip on the spare. That has to make for a lot more working room during the process. I'll do that before I do anything else!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Remember to place the warning decal in plain site ("don't lift truck by the frame as this can damage the bags") Run the air fill lines seperate for manual fill. (no teeing)

TeJay

Have installed the bags in two vehicles. I've never had a single leak. Keep the bags separate. If you have a leaking fitting all connected bags will go down. If bags are connected when one bag compresses it will increase the pressure in the other bag. On our MH I connected the fronts together and the backs together. That way I could raise or lower either end as needed. We had a pump and gauges on the dash so I could control while driving. They did sell check valves to dampen the side to side effect of hitting bumps. They were I think $100 each so I didn't get them. Cut lines square and use vaselene when putting fitting together.

TeJay

GOTTOYS

Brett,
It sounds like you fill the bags individually. I'm thinking that for pulling the 5er the single point system is fine. Am I missing a good reason to keep the bags separate?
Thanks for the tip on the spare. That has to make for a lot more working room during the process. I'll do that before I do anything else!
Connecting the bags together may result in sway. As the vehicle turns the air from one bag will flow into the other unloading one side and adding pressure to the other. I installed them on my Ram. Easy 1 hour job. I didn't drop the spare tire. Just remove the the rubber bump stops and bolt everything on. I ran my airlines to the inside of my bed near the rear. They are right below the plug I installed for my trailer. I can plug a small 12 volt compressor in there using an adapter and air up without having to drag a long hose out. I only need about 15# when truck is unhitched to level my trailer. The pressure will go up when you hitch up. They don't change the ride but just level it up. Mine do leak a little so I check them whenever I hitch. Don