Insurance totaling our RV

We were camping recently in a wooded campground with very little lighting. We didn’t see parts of a tree that came in contact with our 5th wheel.

In the daylight we saw the damage. There is a large scrape down the driver’s side of our rig. It penetrated the fiberglas in several locations and tore all the way down the side of the roof with holes all along the rubber.

The degree of involvement requires a lot of Fiberglas work and paint which is a ton of labor. It also requires a new roof. The estimate is about the same as the value of the rig, so the insurance company is talking about declaring it a total loss.

Has anyone been through this process? We owe quite a bit more than the book value as we bought it new and it’s only six years old.

Is it possible to take the payout and somehow still keep our RV? And, if so, can you then get another company to insure a unit that another company has totaled?

The damage is really all cosmetic and we are taken aback by the situation in which we now find ourselves. Any insight on the experience of others would be helpful. TIA!

carl.swoyer

We were camping recently in a wooded campground with very little lighting. We didn’t see parts of a tree that came in contact with our 5th wheel.

In the daylight we saw the damage. There is a large scrape down the driver’s side of our rig. It penetrated the fiberglas in several locations and tore all the way down the side of the roof with holes all along the rubber.

The degree of involvement requires a lot of Fiberglas work and paint which is a ton of labor. It also requires a new roof. The estimate is about the same as the value of the rig, so the insurance company is talking about declaring it a total loss.

Has anyone been through this process? We owe quite a bit more than the book value as we bought it new and it’s only six years old.

Is it possible to take the payout and somehow still keep our RV? And, if so, can you then get another company to insure a unit that another company has totaled?

The damage is really all cosmetic and we are taken aback by the situation in which we now find ourselves. Any insight on the experience of others would be helpful. TIA!
Yes
I had frame failure. Good for me I purchased replacement valve based on my purchase price. Because I had the declared value Progressive paid me what I paid new plus $2500 reimbursement for transportation cost.
Always buy the declared value insurance

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk