Interesting Info On Tire Balancing

BigGuy82

I've owned a TT, a Class A and now a fiver. This was news to me.

In the October 2017 Iissue of Trailer Life (p61), a reader asks a question about information provided by his dealer. He was told by the service manager that trailer tires are NOT balanced. The answer from Trailer Life staff was interesting - here it is:

"When your local service manager said, "RV trailer tires are not balanced," he was right for the most part. RV manufacturers generally do not balance the tires on new trailers that roll from their factories, most likely because it would add to the cost and hasn't been done traditionally. However, the fact that this is what most RV manufacturers do certainly doesn't make it right.
RV trailer tires should be balanced for the same reasons that the tires on your tow vehicle are balanced. The long-term benefits of running balanced tires far outweigh the minor added up-front cost. Balanced tires produce less vibration-induced damage to the RV, and although there are no occupants in the trailer to feel the shaking, it's still happening. Balanced tires run smoother and last longer with less er*ratic tread wear, and that makes them more reliable.
Given the current problems with cheap imported tires on many trailers and fifth-wheels, balancing the tires is the simplest way to start improving your trailer's rolling reliability."

I never noticed because I use Centramatics (all balancing issues solved) that I had the dealer install during a routine warranty visit. However, it would be interesting to know if Heartland does or does not balance their wheels. I figured that this info would also be interesting for those of you who assume that your wheels are balanced. If they are not, I'd recommend having them done or installing Centramatics. This may have helped some of the folks here who had Blowmax issues.

Just an FYI.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No they don't balance them. And no it doesn't help Blowmax tires. (We had ours balanced, tires still failed prematurely.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MillerTime802

I balance all my trailer tires....from my landscape trailer to my jet ski trailer, boat trailer, and for sure my RV. My opinion if it's a tire on a wheel and it goes round and round.....balance it. If my lawnmower had balance tires, I'd balance them too, ha.

Lynn1130

I balance any tire on any vehicle. Why would you want this bouncing heavy piece of rubber on a vehicle to add vibration and wear to the tire and everything related?

mlpeloquin

When we had a tent trailer years ago with 12" tires, they were not balanced. The Goodyear tires didn't last 800 miles. I could only find cheep 12" tires to replace them with. I had them balanced as 14" because that was the smallest tire size that they could balance on the spin balancer. I put over 3k miles on the tires and when we sold the tent trailer they still had over 50% of the tread left. I balance all tires.

dbbls59

If it turns, it needs to be balanced. I put balance beads in my Saliun tires and it seems to be working fine. They were balanced with weights first but one tire had 4 or 5 weights on one side. I didn't like that so we removed all weights and used balance beads. Big rigs use these beads.

BigGuy82

If it turns, it needs to be balanced. I put balance beads in my Saliun tires and it seems to be working fine. They were balanced with weights first but one tire had 4 or 5 weights on one side. I didn't like that so we removed all weights and used balance beads. Big rigs use these beads.

I have used Balance Beads - they do a good job. They have two problems:
  1. they clog TPMS sensors if you have the type where the sensor is inside the wheel. Not usually a problem on a trailer unless you have one of the new Ford's that gives you trailer TPMS on the dash monitor if you use their sensors.
  2. when you remove the tire, they tend to spill all over the floor, making it behave more like an ice skating rink instead of a floor. It will not make you popular with your mechanic.

This is why I switched to Centramatics. Effective, completely self-contained and very popular among professional truckers.

pegmikef

This is why I switched to Centramatics. Effective, completely self-contained and very popular among professional truckers.

Thanks BigGuy. I had never heard of this so I went to their website and watched a couple videos and was impressed. I am going to check with the trailer shop (commercial, utility, and stock trailers, not RVs) where I have all my running gear work done to see if they can get and install this system. If they can, I am thinking about having it done when they repack my bearings and inspect/repair my running gear.

BigGuy82

Thanks BigGuy. I had never heard of this so I went to their website and watched a couple videos and was impressed. I am going to check with the trailer shop (commercial, utility, and stock trailers, not RVs) where I have all my running gear work done to see if they can get and install this system. If they can, I am thinking about having it done when they repack my bearings and inspect/repair my running gear.
You can order direct from Centramatic - call them and they can help you select the correct one. Installation just involves removing the wheel, putting the Centramatic balancer on the hub and reinstalling the wheel. I think you'll like the performance of this product.

pegmikef

You can order direct from Centramatic - call them and they can help you select the correct one. Installation just involves removing the wheel, putting the Centramatic balancer on the hub and reinstalling the wheel. I think you'll like the performance of this product.

Thanks for the info.

MillerTime802

JS Wheel.01.jpg
Here's my balance job on my Cyclone 3611 JS. Those stick on weights are double stacked! This is why my opinion is to balance your tires. This far out of balance must not be good for tire wear.

jimtoo

Chances are that if a tire is way out of balance you could have it deflated and rotate on rim 180* and rebalance and it would not take near as much weight. We always rebalanced if it took a lot of weights when we sold a tire in our shop. I would say at least 75% of time it was much better.

Jim M

MillerTime802

Chances are that if a tire is way out of balance you could have it deflated and rotate on rim 180* and rebalance and it would not take near as much weight. We always rebalanced if it took a lot of weights when we sold a tire in our shop. I would say at least 75% of time it was much better.

Jim M

Thanks Jim, that's an excellent note in an attempt to reduce balance weight. I used to do that when I worked at Sears Auto Bay back in my college days. In this case, my wife took the loose tire and wheel and had it installed and balanced for me. I'm sure in today's time, the technicians don't go to that extent without some prodding to try it, ha.

BigGuy82

Thanks Jim, that's an excellent note in an attempt to reduce balance weight. I used to do that when I worked at Sears Auto Bay back in my college days. In this case, my wife took the loose tire and wheel and had it installed and balanced for me. I'm sure in today's time, the technicians don't go to that extent without some prodding to try it, ha.

I have never had a problem with Centramatics, use them on all of my vehicles (excpet the 'vette - to much technology and tight spaces to fool with). They are simple to use - remove the wheel, pull the weights, put the Centramatic on the wheel (just fits over the studs), reinstall the wheel and go. No muss, no fuss, works perfectly, tires wear evenly.

http://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml

Smitty325

They work great on motorcycles too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MillerTime802

I have never had a problem with Centramatics, use them on all of my vehicles (excpet the 'vette - to much technology and tight spaces to fool with). They are simple to use - remove the wheel, pull the weights, put the Centramatic on the wheel (just fits over the studs), reinstall the wheel and go. No muss, no fuss, works perfectly, tires wear evenly.

http://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml

Thanks guys. I'm checking these out for sure. Appreciate the information.

Brad