Interior Ceiling Removal

worradr

I have a 2009 Landmark Pinehurst. This past winter I had red squirrels get into my camper and I have been frantically trying to find how they got into my 5th wheel camper. I've used a foam spray with rodent repellent to fill any suspecting holes, gaps, etc. but I'm still hearing something crawling in the ceiling and more specifically the A/C duct work, which they had chewed through in three places.
My question is, has anyone taken the ceiling panel(s) down and how was this done? I would like to mend the holes, which I can't seem to reach from any of the ceiling diffusers, the holes are beyond arms reach, not to mention the duct is quite small inside for a grown man's arm. Or maybe it isn't necessary to repair the holes, but I still hear something crawling around in the ceiling.
They had packed black walnuts into and around the ceiling A/C unit that just cascaded from the opening when I removed the screen to clean the filter, there were enough walnuts to fill a three-gallon garbage bag.
Secondly does anyone have any idea where/how these red squirrels can be getting into the camper for access to the ceiling. All the noises seem to be coming from the entertainment/kitchen slide-out on into the ceiling and ductwork. These red squirrels have been relentless in their attempt to make my camper their walnut warehouse and winter respite.
ANY HELP is appreciated.

rhodies1

Go buy some victor (brand name) they work well....rat traps and put peanut butter on them.
Chances are the squirrels are in other parts of the camper as well. Put the traps in your compartment and I suspect you will have success.

worradr

Thank you, that was one of the first things I've done but have had limited success. I was hoping someone may know of entry points where the squirrels may be getting in.

worradr

I've been on my back crawling from one end to the other and don't see ANY openings that I haven't already filled with foam that has rodent repellent in it.
Does anyone know if the hole where the slide-out rod goes through the frame leads to any area where a red squirrel can get in? I fastened a piece of heavy-duty screen with 1/2" squares over these openings but that didn't stop the clawing noise I hear in the ceiling.

rhodies1

Yes.the slide rod just goes into your underbelly. From there squirrels have access to your front compartment and any opening going up your walls to the ceiling .Areas where wiring was run or pipes .We know that when they cut these types of openings in the wall ,I believe they use a dull butter knife....nothing is neat.
Keep the traps set,you will get them sooner or later.

CoveredWagon

I had red squirrels for a shot while this summer. I found a spray at ACE Hardware ment for squirrels and rodents. It's some nasty pepper spray stuff. Got rid of them in a couple of days. If you get a whiff of it you'll know why they move on. In my case they were coming and going at will, not nesting in the rv. I sprayed everywhere I could that wasn't solid. Last place I'd never suspected was behind the off door side fender. That did it.

worradr

Thanks Dave, I'll check it out... I'll try anything. This has been a nightmare; I've been dealing with squirrels since I opened my camper in May. It gets worse when I put the slides in for winter, then they have access to the whole camper from behind the kitchen sink area, which is open... my camper is like their Shangri-la. I feel like I should stay and serve cocktails. NOT! I'm about ready to set a bomb and blow the little bast**ds to smithereens.

david-steph2018

Here is a thought, it may work or may not. Try to buy or rent a smoke generator and direct the smoke into the vents. It may flush them out.
Might be worth a shot at it. Unless the little suckers have a gas mask, it should drive them out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The smoke generators I’m familiar with (we use for training evolutions) create a nontoxic oil mist smoke. You will end up with it condensing on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worradr

This may be a job left to professionals. Unless I can research further to know what products are safe to use and how to administer them, I'm hesitant to "fog" my camper with something that may be toxic to humans or pets or destructive to surfaces that would come in contact. I absolutely want to get rid of this red squirrel problem and would welcome any and all safe remedies anyone may have.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Once you're certain you've sealed any and all openings into the trailer and secured all food sources inside, baited traps strategically placed (so pets can't get at them), may be your only remedy. A UV light might help locate urine trails leading to where they're hiding.

sengli

The ceiling panels are built up laminated foam cores, with aluminum structure. They are not meant to be taken apart. My squirrels accessed my rig via the front landing gear area, then up through the front cap inside structure. There they could access the roof panels.

carl.swoyer

Try looking at the pinbox nose of the camper.
My fifth wheel has a recessed shelf I can remove and see the inside of the cap.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Dennyha

I had a customer who had a family of squirrels enter into his air conditioner. They got inside the shroud, chewed a hole through the insulated cover over the evaporator cover, and built a nest just above the air distribution box in their bedroom. From that point, they had full access to the duct work system. They also chewed through the wires to the compressor. It was a mess to repair.