Intermittent power loss

DruidZ

Suddenly today I started losing all my AC power. It would go down for about four minutes and then come back on its own. After a while it stays up longer. It has been up for 1½ hours this time, the longest since the problem started. However, I have turned off the breakers for most of the unit. I am currently running my computers, kitchen lights, microwave (clock only) and bedroom clock. In particular I shut off the washer/dryer which is in the middle of a load. When I turned it back on the power failed again but it also failed when the washer was not on.

I have a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X surge protector. The readings are all normal except that it reads 0A on both legs when the power is off. No surprise there. The breaker box is fine. No breakers have tripped including the master ones.

In the HUG document https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/Electrical V2.pdf on page 5 there is a diagram of the major power feed. Is this diagram accurate? Does the power go directly from the pedestal to the breaker box or is there some sort of thermal fuse in between? Maybe it needs to be replaced.

Naturally this has to happen on New Year's Day so I can't get any sort of service for two days.

Dahillbilly

no fuse in between , but you may have a transfer switch if the RV has generator prep kit from factory. If that acts up by dropping out you will loose your power. Does the EMS show voltage at all times?

DruidZ

no fuse in between , but you may have a transfer switch if the RV has generator prep kit from factory. If that acts up by dropping out you will loose your power. Does the EMS show voltage at all times?
Yes. Unless it is somehow reporting incorrectly then everything at the pedestal seems to be fine. I was surprised that the voltage was 128-129 though. That seems higher than I am used to seeing.

DruidZ

If there is a transfer switch where would it be? Also, can a bad TS cause the behaviour that I described?

Dahillbilly

on most 5th wheels it's behind the rearward basement/pass though compartment wall. I'd also check both ends of the shore poweer cord connectors! Not sure what you are referring to as a TS.

Roller4tan

128-129 seems high to me as well. Your EMS may be doing it's job by killing power to the trailer to protect it. Incoming voltage from the pedestal seems suspect to me. Have you measured voltage there?

CoveredWagon

Seems too high to me. I would think your ems would show a code for high voltage. I'm guessing it is doing it's job.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That high voltage seems iffy?? Our surge guard drops power if either leg experiences 130 V.
Had a similar experience you are describing several years ago at an overnight stop. After Park maintenance checked pedestal I was moved to another site

wdk450

Flip the switch on the EMS readout to put it into bypass mode. See if power returns. EMS readout should give error codes E5, E6 for high voltage on feed legs if this is causing power cutout.
Defective contactor relay in the EMS may cause the symptoms you are describing.

DruidZ

It stayed up all night. This morning I switched on the breakers for GFCI (I need my coffee) and hot water heater. Within minutes the power went out again. I turned off the hot water heater and now it seems OK but it hasn't been that long.

This time the EMS showed a P03 error so I guess that high voltage thing is the issue.

DruidZ

Flip the switch on the EMS readout to put it into bypass mode. See if power returns. EMS readout should give error codes E5, E6 for high voltage on feed legs if this is causing power cutout.
Defective contactor relay in the EMS may cause the symptoms you are describing.
Doesn't seem to be a bypass switch on this unit.

david-steph2018

Doesn't seem to be a bypass switch on this unit.
There is no bypass switch on the portable Surge Protector from Progressive. Contact the park and see if they will check the pedestal. The surge protector checks power coming into it, not after it. If it is reading a 03 code, contact the park. If you have the portable model, it checks power from the pedestal only, contact the park. If it is hardwired model, it will check the power to the hard-wired unit, it could be the power cord. Then check your power cord and other parts in your rig up to the hardwired unit.

Last edited:

Dahillbilly

if it is high voltage coming from the pedestal the CG should contact the power company & have them check their equipment supplying the CG. Have seen high voltage issues especially on weekends when demand drops, the voltage goes up.

david-steph2018

DruidZ, here is a simple test. If there are any empty sites near you, turn off your power, remove the Progressive, go to an empty site plug in the Progressive and see what it reads. If it reads normal, all the way thru the check procedure, go to the campground. This can rule out a couple of things:
1) problems with the Progressive unit
2) problems with the pedestal power
3) or confirms problems with the pedestal power

rhodies1

Your code is Leg 1 in relation to the surge protector.
The protector is sensing that the power is above 132 volts or the protector is faulty and thinks the power is above 132 volts .
As DS2018 stated,try it into another pedestal.if it acts up it’s most likely a faulty protector.
The campgrounds maybe willing to bring in an electrician or they may say ... no one else has complained while on the site.