Inverter and 120 vac modification

Hale6810

From newbie to the forum, I recently purchased a 2017 Bighorn 3875 FB, and I added a 2nd inverter that I want to use to run the tvs in the living room and bedroom. My question is, if I run the power wiring from the inverter mounted in the compartment, directly to the specific circuit breakers in the control panel for each of the tvs with a manual cut out switch on the lines coming from the inverter that will be turned off anytime I am using shore power or generator will this work? I wanted to avoid running dedicated lines directly to the tv's, and I would like to avoid installing another transfer switch if possible. Has anyone else done this?
Thank you,
Arthur

centerline

From newbie to the forum, I recently purchased a 2017 Bighorn 3875 FB, and I added a 2nd inverter that I want to use to run the tvs in the living room and bedroom. My question is, if I run the power wiring from the inverter mounted in the compartment, directly to the specific circuit breakers in the control panel for each of the tvs with a manual cut out switch on the lines coming from the inverter that will be turned off anytime I am using shore power or generator will this work? I wanted to avoid running dedicated lines directly to the tv's, and I would like to avoid installing another transfer switch if possible. Has anyone else done this?
Thank you,
Arthur

in your case, if you are tying into the AC power grid with an inverter, you really need a MANUAL transfer switch between the existing ATS and the distribution panel.... this will allow ALL incoming power from either shore or genset, to be positivley cut off when the switch is set to inverter..... any other way of doing it and you are going to have a slight moment of forgetfulness that is going to be extremely expensive... do it right the first time and never have to wonder or worry about it afterwards.

I say a manual switch, because its not so often that you need to switch, that you need the cost and confusion and complications of adding another ATS down stream of what you already have...

danemayer

Arthur,

You have to think about the consequences of making a mistake, or a friend or family member doing something without understanding the consequences.

If you really don't want a small automatic transfer switch, perhaps you could piggyback off the refrigerator's transfer switch. The 120V feed to that switch is 15 amp, but a residential refrigerator probably uses around 6 amps or less, with momentary peaks at 8.5 amps. Your TV won't use very much so it shouldn't overload the breaker. You'd need to replace your 1000 watt inverter with a 2000 watt model. Then everything would work automatically. And of course, you'll need to evaluate whether you have enough amp hours from your current batteries.

The output of the existing transfer switch goes to a junction box close to the switch. You could reroute the TV branch wiring to pick up power there.

Before doing this, you might check to make sure you understand exactly what is powered by the TV breaker, aside from the TV, to ensure you don't overload the refrigerator circuit breaker.

Hale6810

Thank you for the sound advice, I'm also
Rethinking that maybe I could use the
Existing magnum 1000 watt fridge ATS and use the same
Signal wires to install a 2nd ATS and wire directly
To the tv breakers from the 2nd ATS?
I will confirm what is on each breaker leg of course,
but the new inverter is 3500 watts and I have
A 400 amp hour AGM battery pack and 550
Watt solar panels on the roof.
Ideas? I am by no means an electrician
and have been running this through my
mind for about a month. The reason I got
such a large 3500 watt inverter is to very
Occassionaly and short term run power
tools such as air compressor, power washer
etc.
Thanks again!

Oregon_Camper

Don't take this this as I'm trying to discourage you, but I think you need to take a step back and really consider your End Game...before continuing to add more stuff.

If you simply want to add AC power to two TV's, that is easy. Simply add a second inverter and run romex from that inverter to a NEW outlet, next to your TV. Then from that outlet, run the romex to the 2nd outlet. Now you have 2 TV's, running on inverter power (when needed)

Here is a nice inverter, with a remote that you can easily wire into your RV, to turn the inverter on/off as needed.
https://amzn.to/3cZrHpi

If you really want to camp remote, with no Shore power, you're on the right track. Keep in mind your 400aH AGM batteries will only provide 200 usable amp hours. After that, your frig and inverter(s) will also stop (and so will your heater)

You might consider a Hybrid inverter like "GoPower IC3000" or a "Victron Multiplus". These devices (not cheap) will replace your onboard "converter" and will act as a "Converter" & "Inverter" and "Transfer Switch". Here is a link to the Victron system. https://amzn.to/3t4uW4n

Finally, I run a Solar and Boondocking Facebook group with ~14,500 guys WAY smarter than I am on this stuff. If you want more info, feel feel to join. BTW...Jim B is fine with me linking that Facebook Group on this site...he is a member of my group :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/solarpoweredrvsandboondocking

Hale6810

Oregon camper, and all considering the time I have to prepare for the upcoming season, and go back to my original plan to run two independent 20 amp extention cords from the front compartment under the trailer to each of the tv's, and when I'm not plugged in or using the generator, I will just unplug the tv and satellite and plug them into the run cord. The only reason I was looking at using the power distribution center as a point to connect, is because I did not want to run 50 feet of extension cord into the entertainment center that is also on the room push out. I already installed the 3500 watt inverter, indoor remote, the 550 watt solar and mppt 40 amp controller, indoor meter and battery monitor gauge. The Victron combo unit is an excellent charger, converter, inverter, but I want to wait until I have the money to upgrade to 500 amp hour lithium battery pack which will cost between 6 to 7 k$
Thanks everyone for all your good advice.
I'll repost when I have beginning phase complete to let you all know how it works.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have also installed a Westinghouse igen 9500 watt dual fuel generator so nomatter where we are, we are able to power our unit and two of our neighbors if we need to.
Hope to see new friends down the road.