Inverter GFCI tripping

mwc

I've read many posts about this issue but I still need some input from you guys.
2018 cyclone with the 1000 w Magnum inverter. About a week ago I was working on my generator and was turning it off and on a good bit. After that I noticed my refrigerator wasn't running and I started to troubleshoot why. I ended up replacing the inverter with a new one but here's what I have as of now.

Unhooked from shore power and running on batteries the refrigerator outlet runs a small fan that I plug into it and does not trip the GFCI on the inverter. As soon as I either start the generator or turn shore power back on the GFCI trips on the inverter. I've checked wiring as much as I could find, underneath the slide and such and found nothing out of the ordinary. Is the transfer switch possibly bad since it only trips when I add either generator power or shore power into the mix?

Does the power control system made by precision circuits have anything to do with all of this? It's funny after I kept turning the generator off and on several times while connected to shore power and such that this issue arose so I'm thinking I burnt something up.

david-steph2018

It could be the transfer switch is acting up. But our unit does the same thing.
Last week when we lost power at the Thousand Trails Park in Palm Springs, I had to reset the GFCI at the inverter. But just once, the other times at that park, it did not bother the switch. We were on the generator power for 4 days at various times, no other issues with the inverter.
I had to replace the transfer switch back in 2019 when it went out.

TrailCreek

I've heard that inverters go bad more than you would think. My main house inverter went bad and had to be changed. The 1000 watt invertor has it's own transfer switch. Also, be sure the GFCI receptical isn't tripped. Use your phone camera in selfie mode th chech the GFCI receptical on the bottom of your 1000 watt inverter. It may be tripped.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

mwc

The inverter is brand new that's the first thing that I replaced, and it seems to be working fine except the GFCI trips when I'm on shore power or fire up the generator. So I'm thinking it's an issue with the transfer switch or else the power control system if that has anything to do with it??

mwc

Update: I just noticed that when the inverter is off and I'm hooked to shore power there is no power at all to the refrigerator outlet. What would this indicate?

TrailCreek

Small transfer switch at the inverter? Is that the one you replaced?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

More than likely the transfer switch is bad. Run an extension cord from another outlet and plug in the fridge, making sure it is okay. If it is, check and make sure the breaker is on in the 120volt box. At the transfer switch if you feel comfortable working with a multimeter check the voltage going into & out of the transfer switch. Voltage in, none out the transfer switch is bad. I found one online for $75.

Be careful working with electricity.

mwc

Thanks. I checked the voltage going in and coming out with the inverter off. Voltage going in, No voltage coming out. With inverter on there is voltage coming out though but GFCI will trip. Sounding like a bad transfer switch.

david-steph2018

Sounds like it. Luckily it is an easy replacement job, 10 minutes, if you take a break in between.
Our switch has plugs on the 2 leads, so I had to find one designed like that.

jimcat

More than likely the transfer switch is bad. Run an extension cord from another outlet and plug in the fridge, making sure it is okay. If it is, check and make sure the breaker is on in the 120volt box. At the transfer switch if you feel comfortable working with a multimeter check the voltage going into & out of the transfer switch. Voltage in, none out the transfer switch is bad. I found one online for $75.

Be careful working with electricity.

I can't locate this on Amazon now.