Inverter power

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
This past week we dry camped for the first time in this new rig. Nights one and four I was able to run the genny all night (sure burns up the propane doing that) but nights two and three I had to just run off of 12 volt power due to tent campers near by. Everything worked as it should except my CPAP machine. The 12 volt inverter I had would turn the machine on and start the CPAP but when the air blower would kick in, the inverter would kick out and give me a low battery error message. I have a 410 watt inverter which, according to my CPAP manual should be more than enough to run the unit. I also tried a 500 watt and 800 watt inverter with the same results. I'm wondering if I need to have a second battery installed???? Everything else 12 volt worked as it should, only the CPAP would not. Any thoughts???

wdk450

How big is your battery bank, how large are your 12 volt cables to the inverter? Motor starting is a momentary high current draw that your inverter should be able to handle.

klindgren

How big is your battery bank, how large are your 12 volt cables to the inverter? Motor starting is a momentary high current draw that your inverter should be able to handle.

My sentiments exactly. With just the CPAP, I should not have a problem. My "battery bank" is the one standard 12 volt battery that came with the camper. As far as how large the 12 volt cables are, they are the standard cables Heartland uses to any of their 12 volt outlets.

danemayer

Hmm...if it does the same thing with two other inverters of larger output, maybe the error message is correct that you're not getting enough power from the battery.

To refine Bill's question: where are you connecting the inverter to the 12V power? Did you install that power source or did it come with the coach?

It might be interesting to connect the inverter directly to the battery and try the CPAP machine right there.

wdk450

My sentiments exactly. With just the CPAP, I should not have a problem. My "battery bank" is the one standard 12 volt battery that came with the camper. As far as how large the 12 volt cables are, they are the standard cables Heartland uses to any of their 12 volt outlets.

My dealer thought it necessary to add a 2nd battery when I bought the RV: When I added my 1500/3000 watt inverter, I added 2 more batteries to the system, and made my own connecting cables from an old large gauge set of jumper cables and terminals. I crimped and soldered (with a propane torch) all of the connectors to the cables. Your inverter should be as close to your battery bank as possible to make the 12 volt high current cables as short as possible. The high voltage, low current A.C. runs can go the length of the trailer.

klindgren

Hmm...if it does the same thing with two other inverters of larger output, maybe the error message is correct that you're not getting enough power from the battery.

To refine Bill's question: where are you connecting the inverter to the 12V power? Did you install that power source or did it come with the coach?

It might be interesting to connect the inverter directly to the battery and try the CPAP machine right there.

When I ordered the camper, I had Camping World (my dealer) add a 12 volt outlet at the side of the bed. I cannot see where the wires come from so I'm not sure how they connected it to 12 volts. That's why I was thinking about adding a second battery for more "juice" . In my 2010 Pinehurst, I drilled a hole in the floor of the bedroom closet, then fished wire down to the battery cabinet underneath. Had no problem running my CPAP. In hind sight, I should have done the same thing again instead of trusting Camping World to do it right. Oh, well, live and learn.

hoefler

Try hooking your CPAP up directly to 12 volt. Mine has a transformer on it the that converts 110AC to 12DC. You will use less power than going through the invertor and transformer.

Jim.Allison

My CPAP requires 2.1 amps AC to operate, that directly translates to 21 amps DC not including the power it takes to run an inverter. This will deplete a RV/Marine BATT in about 5 hours. BUT on DC it only takes 5 amps DC. Using a normal RV/Marine deep cycle batt, you can run about 10 hours without depleting your batt beyond 50%. On my solar system, I can run the CPAP 30 hours and still not use half of my capacity.

IF you rig a good 12v DC line into your bedroom with a DC socket, buy the right DC line for your machine you can go through the night easily with a RV battery, you can charge that battery with a small solar panel and never start your generator for your CPAP ever again.
Try hooking your CPAP up directly to 12 volt. Mine has a transformer on it the that converts 110AC to 12DC. You will use less power than going through the invertor and transformer.

Jim.Allison

The capacity of a 12v batt is in the area between 13 and 14 volts. A batt at 12.4 volts is only 50% charged. So if you have a 100 AH batt you are already 50% discharged with 50 AH remaining, that is roughly 2 hours of use before you batt is at 0%. This is why your inverter is telling you that there is no DC power, your inverter thinks/knows your battery is dead. BTW a batt at 11v is considered completely dead. You need to charge it to about 13 plus volts to get a 100% charge.

My CPAP requires 2.1 amps AC to operate, that directly translates to 21 amps DC not including the power it takes to run an inverter. This will deplete a 100% charged RV/Marine BATT in about 5 hours. BUT on DC it only takes 5 amps DC. Using a normal 100% RV/Marine deep cycle batt, you can run about 10 hours without depleting your batt beyond 50%. On my solar system, I can run the CPAP 30 hours and still not use half of my capacity. A battery that has been abused is not likely capable of being charged to 100% again.

Many people try to use the generator to charge their battery. But all they achieve is a bullk charge not the finishing charge the finishing charge is where all the AH are. They think that the batt is 100% but in actuality its maybe 65 to 70%. The generator would have to run all day long to bring the battery to 100%. This is why solar is so important. Look into a solar panel that will charge a 12v 100 AH batt from 50% charge to 100% charged in 8 hours. dedicate that system to your CPAP and your problem is solved.

Also, never miss a chance to charge the batt, If you're on pedestal power make sure you charge the batt to 100%. Worst case scenario you can add a second batt, But then my suggestion is to install an industrial RE (renewable energy) deep cycle battery which will last for days instead of hours. If you system is augmented with solar even the single 100 AH batt can last a couple of days even with an inadequate solar panel.

IF you rig a good 12v DC line into your bedroom with a DC socket, buy the right DC line for your machine you can go through the night easily with a RV battery, you can charge that battery with a small solar panel and never start your generator for your CPAP ever again.QUOTE=klindgren;326544]This past week we dry camped for the first time in this new rig. Nights one and four I was able to run the genny all night (sure burns up the propane doing that) but nights two and three I had to just run off of 12 volt power due to tent campers near by. Everything worked as it should except my CPAP machine. The 12 volt inverter I had would turn the machine on and start the CPAP but when the air blower would kick in, the inverter would kick out and give me a low battery error message. I have a 410 watt inverter which, according to my CPAP manual should be more than enough to run the unit. I also tried a 500 watt and 800 watt inverter with the same results. I'm wondering if I need to have a second battery installed???? Everything else 12 volt worked as it should, only the CPAP would not. Any thoughts???[/QUOTE]

Jim.Allison

http://www.soldonsun.com/Pr/Solar/Off-Grid/128W-Battery-Charger-1224v.html

This system will charge your deep cycle battery to 100% and replace the amount consumed by your CPAP by 4:00 the next day. No more generator fuel to charge a battery that can't keep up with your CPAP. Installation is much easier than you think.

My calculations are based on 10 hours of CPAP usage at 5 AH. The panel has an adhesive on teh back and sticks to your RV roof it wires in easily. If you can't do it you can read the instructions and have a neighbor kid do the work. LOL.

carl.swoyer

You can get a DC power cable from your cpap manufacturer. It is a great back up. I did end up putting in a Magnum ms2812 with four group 31 deka agm batteries.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I disconnected my humidifier from my cpap. My air hose connection is directly to the side of my cpap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk