Inverter

We have a landmark Newport 2021. Has anyone had issues with the inverter? Ours will run for about 30 minutes and the switch off.

centerline

are you sure its switching off?.... some of the modern converters have what is called "equalizing mode", which is automatic and will put out a higher voltage for 15-30 minutes, and then shut down to normal charge mode.... this causes the lights in the trailer to be brighter while in equalizing mode brighter, and then drop back to their normal brightness level....

the difference in brightness is increased if the battery is either low in charge, or damaged in such a way (sulfated) that it wont take a full charge...

all this can make it seem like the inverter is shutting down, but if you had a volt meter in the system, you should always see about 13.2 volts... if the inverter is NOT working, the volt meter will continue to drop as more lights are turned on, or when the slide or electric jacks are operated..... the inverter working should always keep it above 13v no matter what you are operating....

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

are you sure its switching off?.... some of the modern inverters have what is called "equalizing mode", which is automatic and will put out a higher voltage for 15-30 minutes, and then shut down to normal charge mode.... this causes the lights in the trailer to be brighter while in equalizing mode brighter, and then drop back to their normal brightness level....

the difference in brightness is increased if the battery is either low in charge, or damaged in such a way (sulfated) that it wont take a full charge...

all this can make it seem like the inverter is shutting down, but if you had a volt meter in the system, you should always see about 13.2 volts... if the inverter is NOT working, the volt meter will continue to drop as more lights are turned on, or when the slide or electric jacks are operated..... the inverter working should always keep it above 13v no matter what you are operating....

You're referring to a converter (AC to DC). OP is asking about Inverter (DC to AC)

- - - Updated - - -

I will try it again tomorrow but I believe it turns off and so does the refrigerator.

Confirm batteries are fully charged. Does your inverter come back on after shutting down or do you have to manually try to get it going again?

danemayer

It sounds like you're talking about the inverter than supplies power to the residential refrigerator when not on shore power (or generator power). While on shore power, the inverter power doesn't go to the refrigerator.

The inverter probably has an error code on its display when it shuts down. The inverter itself is usually located in the front storage compartment. Unfortunately, the display is probably facing down. To read it, you may have to use your phone to take a picture. With the error code, the manual will help figure out what's wrong.

Our Residential Refrigerator user guide may be helpful as it has pics that identify the components.

Flick

We have a landmark Newport 2021. Has anyone had issues with the inverter? Ours will run for about 30 minutes and the switch off.

Did you mean converter instead of inverter? Do you have factory installed solar panels, otherwise you probably don’t have an inverter.

centerline

you said inverter, but it seems that we have some confusion as to whether you are actually meaning an inverter, or a converter....

if an inverter runs out of enough 12vDC power to keep it operating and producing 120vAC power, it will shut down....

how many batteries do you have, what size are they, and what are you powering with the inverter?

- - - Updated - - -

You're referring to a converter (AC to DC). OP is asking about Inverter (DC to AC)
..... you are correct. for some reason I read it wrong....

jbeletti

If it's the Magnum Inverter, I believe the minimum battery voltage cut-off is 10.5v. Which is still pretty amazing that it will Invert DC to AC power just above that.

This shut-down of the Inverter that you're experiencing, I'm wondering, is this during travel or while on shore power?

It could be that while plugged into shore, the DC output of your Converter isn't making it to the batteries. Check the Manual Reset Mini Breaker. There will be a row of them all connected with a copper bus bar, located in the front Gen compartment area, to the right, near the hydraulics. It's on that back wall there. They'll have red rubber caps on them. One of them has a tiny reset button on the left side. Use a finger to check, starting with the top breaker. If this breaker is tripped, charge current from your Converter will not get to your batteries to keep them charged when on shore power.

short_stop_3.jpeg

Oregon_Camper

If it's the Magnum Inverter, I believe the minimum battery voltage cut-off is 10.5v. Which is still pretty amazing that it will Invert DC to AC power just above that.

Wow...that is both amazing and bad at the same time. Great for a user, allowing the inverter to still invert down to 10.5v. in case of emergency.

I'd hope Magnum allows the consumer a option to configure the inverter to a higher stopping point...more like 11.8v. Even at 12 volts, the you are discharging batteries over 50%, which starts to damage any battery type other than lithium.

centerline

I would like to add this, for those that are trying to troubleshoot their own system...

inverters can work with low battery voltage, but it does matter the size of the inverter and the size of the battery bank, as some batteries just arent big enough to supply 10.5 volts for very long, when already discharged.... a G24 battery with a standing voltage of 11v will allow the inverter to come on, but only for a few minutes/seconds when a load is applied.... but a large bank could supply enough power at 10.5volts to run for quite some time, depending on the size of the bank...

we dont know what the OP is using for a battery, and we dont know if the battery isnt damaged. its not uncommon to find the battery being faulty even if its new.....

there are a few things that need checked to make to help in pinpointing the issue...

jbeletti

Wow...that is both amazing and bad at the same time. Great for a user, allowing the inverter to still invert down to 10.5v. in case of emergency.

I'd hope Magnum allows the consumer a option to configure the inverter to a higher stopping point...more like 11.8v. Even at 12 volts, the you are discharging batteries over 50%, which starts to damage any battery type other than lithium.

No user config on those small Magnum inverters used for the refers.

We have the manual hosted on this forum here: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=/Electrical/Inverter/Inverter for Residential Refrigerator

And an excerpt from the manual for the CSW1012:
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 2.44.15 PM.jpg

carl.swoyer

If it's a residential frig married to a small inverter, possibly a miss match between the refrigerator's running requirements and the magnum's available output .
I wondering if you are experiencing "lock rotor amps".
This happened to me years ago. The compressor was requiring more start up amps than were available. This can cause the inverter to shut down.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
e145b3b808ad45e7439203ff345aa01f.jpg

Last edited: