IR remote not working, test and solution.

SNOKING

So the IR remote for the fireplace quit working. I tested the CR2025 battery with a volt meter and it was showing 3.01 Volts. What, should not be the battery. Did a google search of testing IR remotes. They said put your smart phone on the front/selfie mode and try the remote while looking at on the screen. No go, nothing lighted up. Got out the stereo remote and sure enough I could see the IR emitter light up on the phone screen. So I open the battery compartment on the stereo IR remote to see another CR2025 battery. Put it in the fireplace remote and it WORKED!

So the original battery must of been halving a big volt sag when in use. Another trouble shooting tool to remember.

Chris

WillyBill

So the IR remote for the fireplace quit working. I tested the CR2025 battery with a volt meter and it was showing 3.01 Volts. What, should not be the battery. Did a google search of testing IR remotes. They said put your smart phone on the front/selfie mode and try the remote while looking at on the screen. No go, nothing lighted up. Got out the stereo remote and sure enough I could see the IR emitter light up on the phone screen. So I open the battery compartment on the stereo IR remote to see another CR2025 battery. Put it in the fireplace remote and it WORKED!

So the original battery must of been halving a big volt sag when in use. Another trouble shooting tool to remember.

Chris

In a lot of instances you must test delivered voltage under load. That verifies source power reserve which is necessary to operate some systems.

WB

SNOKING

In a lot of instances you must test delivered voltage under load. That verifies source power reserve which is necessary to operate some systems.

WB

Very true(I spent a career in electronics and networking), however that would be quite difficult with the remotes slide in carrier for the CR2025 button battery!