Is a Ford F-150 EB 3.5 Ok for Elkridge E22

Blair114

Hi,
just joined the forum as I'm thinking of buying a 2015 Elkridge E22 with an dry wt. of 7000lbs. And total wt. of 8650 lbs. I have a 2011 Ford F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. I have been towing a small Nash fifth (5500 dry....7000lbs total) with no problems at all. Has anybody got my proposed combination of vehicle and fifth wheel? What are your thoughts? We do have a fair bit of mountain driving here in BC. Thanks in advance for your response

danemayer

Hi Blair114,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You might want to visit Fifth Wheel Street to see how the truck and trailer specs match up from a safety standpoint.

Kinguni

More about your truck. Cab configuration and wheelbase. Heavy duty trailer tow package? You're going to have 1420 lbs approx of hitch weight which pretty much leaves out any room for cargo or passengers if it's a super crew. We bumper pull 6700 lbs dry 9000 lbs gross with a 2013 EB super crew 4x4 with a 3.55 axle. Kootenay Pass and the Bombi slowed us to 70kph at the summits.

Blair114

Thx for the reply Kinguni,
my truck is a 2011 Lariat 5.5 ft box
3.73 axle
144.5 " wheelbase
I have the tow package and sway control is that the heavy duty package?
I also have the Pullright superglide hitch (194 lbs)

Kinguni

my truck is a 2011 Lariat 5.5 ft box
3.73 axle
144.5 " wheelbase
I have the tow package and sway control is that the heavy duty package?
I also have the Pullright superglide hitch (194 lbs)
Tow package is a factory add on. Heavy duty would be on top of that. With the 3.73 axle you may have it.
Does it have factory tow mirrors? Do you know the GVWR (off the door plackard)? That would help.

Your max payload is either 1590 lbs or 1960 lbs if you have the heavy duty trailer tow package. The former is pushing it. The latter you're golden.

Kinguni

GVWR is 3266kg 7200lbs
no it didn't have the towing mirrors, I've added those since
That makes your payload capacity 1590 lbs but you're rated for towing 9700 lbs. That leaves you 170 lbs of payload and your Pullright Superglide is going to use that up. I wouldn't do it because it will make you overweight.

Kinguni

You're welcome. I know many people that would do it by adding helper springs or airbags but they don't change the GVWR of the truck. If you bought a properly equipped 2018 F150 you could handle that 5th with ease. 156.8" wb Supercrew 4x4 with the heavy duty payload package is rated is rated up to 2620 lbs.

Hi,
just joined the forum as I'm thinking of buying a 2015 Elkridge E22 with an dry wt. of 7000lbs. And total wt. of 8650 lbs. I have a 2011 Ford F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. I have been towing a small Nash fifth (5500 dry....7000lbs total) with no problems at all. Has anybody got my proposed combination of vehicle and fifth wheel? What are your thoughts? We do have a fair bit of mountain driving here in BC. Thanks in advance for your response

I had a 2011 F150 and loved it. I upgraded trailers to a Sundance 285 BH about 7800 lbs dry. I met the specs for the trailer according to Ford but it was a :cool:classic case of the tail wagging the dog. Had to upgrade trucks.:(

I had a 2011 F150 and loved it. I upgraded trailers to a Sundance 285 BH about 7800 lbs dry. I met the specs for the trailer according to Ford but it was a :cool:classic case of the tail wagging the dog. Had to upgrade trucks.:(

Sounds like you have enough truck to pull the load. Did you pull your trailer through the mountains in BC? That’s the only question I would have.