Is a Surburban 42,000 btu enough

Jakenbear

We are presently rving in Central TX in a 2019 Big Horn 3760 EL, which has a 42,000 btu furnace. The forecast for the next couple of days is 8 and 9 degrees F at night. I suspect the furnace will run constantly during these cold temps. Does anyone know if this furnace is capable of keeping the unit warm, say at 70 degrees? Will running the furnace for such a long period harm the unit? At the present time the temp is 30 and the furnace goes on and off quite a lot. Any suggestions or ideas?
thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The answer is “maybe.” It depends on how well your ducts are run and taped, how leaky your slide edges are, how well you windows seal, is it breezy outside, do you have the shades up or down, etc etc. In our Big Country, we’ve stayed “reasonably comfortable” in sub-freezing temps in Colorado and New Mexico, but it’s usually a lower-humidity cold. We also ran the fireplace and some extra heaters to help, because likely you’ll go through propane pretty quickly if it runs constantly. I think we went through a 30# bottle of propane in about 2 days.

With temps in the single digits you might have issues keeping water from freezing, even with the furnace running.

We face the same, we’re in the Big Country area, Monday our low may be 4, and Tuesday 1! But we have tank heaters and using CheapHeat, which means we don’t have to worry about running our of propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakenbear

The answer is “maybe.” It depends on how well your ducts are run and taped, how leaky your slide edges are, how well you windows seal, is it breezy outside, do you have the shades up or down, etc etc. In our Big Country, we’ve stayed “reasonably comfortable” in sub-freezing temps in Colorado and New Mexico, but it’s usually a lower-humidity cold. We also ran the fireplace and some extra heaters to help, because likely you’ll go through propane pretty quickly if it runs constantly. I think we went through a 30# bottle of propane in about 2 day.

Thanks for your reply. Water lines are insulated and shades pulled. Electric fireplace on. The cold snap is only supposed to last 2 days, hopefully. Btw, what is CheapHeat. I've heard of it before but never investigated it.

TravelTiger

Here’s the manufacturer of CheapHeat. It is an add-on to your propane furnace that uses an electric element instead of a flame to heat the air. It still uses the blower of the furnace.

https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/buy

centerline

we always carry an electric space heater for when the temps drop too low to for the furnace to be efficient... there have been times in our old 5th wheel where we had to run 2 space heaters in addition to the furnace, to stay comfortable...

jbeletti

Cheapheat for the win!

My RV isn't winterized but it is stored inside my unheated workshop and I have Cheapheat set to 50F. Should be good here.

danemayer

We've wintered in sub-zero temps for extended periods. The furnace does a good job overnight (as long as you have a good propane supply). But we also use a heated mattress pad in the bed. In the morning, we'd turn on the fireplace, and when extremely cold, also run a ceramic disc heater in the kitchen.

chaplady

We have 3760el big horn we went to home depot brought roll of the thin insulation used blue painters tape to cover windows. Helped alot. Pulled shades down over top. Also used some to cover plastic air vent covers in ceiling for exhaust fans.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
This Cheap Heat is amazing! This was our first use of it in extreme (low 20's, extreme for south Texas) cold and it has performed perfectly. I get a good flow of heated air in the rear of the trailer. I kept the water hooked up and let it run overnight and never had a problem.

I will Never own another trailer without a Cheap Heat unit installed!

TravelTiger

This Cheap Heat is amazing! This was our first use of it in extreme (low 20's, extreme for south Texas) cold and it has performed perfectly. I get a good flow of heated air in the rear of the trailer. I kept the water hooked up and let it run overnight and never had a problem.

Jay, I agree with you, love it for temps about 20 and warmer. When the temp started dipping below 20, CheapHeat started losing the battle. When temps got into the teens and single digits, the best we could get was around 60 degrees inside. But when do we experience these temps? Very rarely. I still love the fact we never have to tote tanks of propane in the frigid cold!!!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Luckily your power stayed on. We were without for 25 hours and part of the rolling blackouts afterwards. You’d have resorted to your propane furnace for warmth then wondering how long your batteries would last.

travelin2

Jay, I agree with you, love it for temps about 20 and warmer. When the temp started dipping below 20, CheapHeat started losing the battle. When temps got into the teens and single digits, the best we could get was around 60 degrees inside. But when do we experience these temps? Very rarely. I still love the fact we never have to tote tanks of propane in the frigid cold!!!

I’ve heard that from another. Great in temperate climate but can’t keep up in frigid cold. Of course for us, who would’ve thought we’d have such an event
Hope your repairs are minimal once thawed out. Much warmer weather on the horizon

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Erika, I don't intend to be in an area that has temps below 20 degrees while we are there! I think these temps took everyone by surprise. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Lyle, we were indeed very lucky. But other than a few days of uncomfortable cold we suffered no damage.

travelin2

Erika, I don't intend to be in an area that has temps below 20 degrees while we are there! I think these temps took everyone by surprise. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Lyle, we were indeed very lucky. But other than a few days of uncomfortable cold we suffered no damage.

Jay, you are correct. These temps were NOT what we were looking for!
We survived quite well. Our park had propane and the power outage for us was just an inconvenience
To warmer days ahead