Is it safe to run the refrigerator while driving?

I have an Elkridge 35QSQB model and was wondering if it was safe running the fridge off of the truck while I am driving? Not interested in using propane while I drive, but if that's the only way, I will. I have a 5 and a half hour drive and it's coming out of storage, so the fridge will not already be cold. It is the refrigerator that ca with the Elk. Any thoughts?

Gaffer

I didn't know that Heartland used any 3-way fridges. Many people run down the road using propane to keep the fridge cold.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I try to turn the fridge on (electric) to get it cold, then run LP while on the road.

I do shut off the LP while fueling . . .

Last night I pulled the trailer out in the street to get ready for leaving tomorrow . . . plugged it in and fired up the fridge . . . checked it this morning and it is good and cold . . . and will be loading it up tonight so it will be ready to roll in the morning!

danemayer

I have an Elkridge 35QSQB model and was wondering if it was safe running the fridge off of the truck while I am driving? Not interested in using propane while I drive, but if that's the only way, I will. I have a 5 and a half hour drive and it's coming out of storage, so the fridge will not already be cold. It is the refrigerator that ca with the Elk. Any thoughts?
I'd expect the standard frig is either a Norcold or Dometic that runs off either 110V AC or Propane with 12V DC. If that's what you have, you'd have to run it on propane.

Another consideration is that if you put food in it before it's down to normal operating temp, and go out on the road during the heat of the day (with no air conditioning), the frig may not be very cold when you get to your stop.

Aspenwind

Happy Camper
Maybe I'm strange. I just freeze jugs of water and place them in the fridge and freezer with the food until we get to where we're going. A couple of trips it's been over 5 hours starting with a warm fridge and everything was fine. Just make sure everything that goes in is already cold and take some consideration as to where you put the ice packs.

We usually only have food for a few days though, if you needed the fridge jammed full of food it wouldn't work.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
As others have said, many people drive with propane powering the refer. It is best to turn it off while refueling your truck.
The day before you plan to use the rig, either plug in to 120v or turn on the propane. The next day it should be down to operating temp. Trace

Birchwood

Don't worry about it !We have been using propane for years while traveling.I recommend you travel with propane as your RV is designed for that application.

bsuds

It's illegal to drive in BC Canada with the propane on. I turn the fridge on several days before a trip and off while travelling.
Works fine.

MurrayN.

I have been running propane while running down the highway for almost twenty years and have never had a problem. I think once or twice in all that time the fridge went out but that is it. I think that some of the older equipment that doesn't automatically shut off may have caused the no propane laws and recommendations but I have never had any problems.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just fired mine up on LP as I'm getting ready to roll out in a few minutes.

After two tries to get it started on LP, I lit all three stove burners for a couple of minutes to get the gas running through the lines to the fridge, and it (fridge) started right up!

whp4262

I've had campers for almost 30 years and have always traveled with the fridge running on propane except my motorhome because it had a 3-way fridge. On occasion I've even traveled with the hot water heater on propane as well and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk