Is there any advantage to using a 50amp to 30amp adapter if your rig is 30amp

wrgrs50s

I have ran into a few instances where I arrived at my site to notice that the 30 amp outlet looks completely worn out and my 30 amp cord fits loosely to the point I would have to bend the legs slightly for a firm fit. I've also noticed the plug getting hot in this type situation. I was thinking if I had a 50 to 30 adapter I could use it instead.

I'm not sure if that will hinder or help as far as the amp draw. I'm assuming that the adapter just uses 1 leg of the 50 amp adapter. Does that mean I will have 25 amps available instead of 30?

I know I have thrown a park breaker before with the 30 amp plug using the air and all on a 100 dgree day. Dont want to make it worse.

porthole

Retired
You will be OK. The breaker difference will be made up in getting a good connection over the poor 30 amp receptacle.

The 50 amp outlet is 50 x 2.

Garypowell

The only problem at most parks is you will pay more. In these cases I would simply explain the problem and my guess is that they will let you use the 50 for the price of the 30. Your rig is only going to draw so much power.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would let the park know they have a bad receptacle that needs to be changed out. They might change out your spot or change out the receptacle. I certainly would not use a bad one.

brianharrison

As mentioned you will be fine; however using one leg of the 50 amp, you will not have protection for the shore power cord. Only a concern if you have a faulty shore power cord (short to ground, loose connections, etc). Can happen as shore power cords get thrown around lots.......

Brian

evolvingpowercat

I think you might be able to find some 50 amp plug to dual 30 amp socket adapters. I assume they are made with some sort of 30 amp in-line fuses or they would not be safe and likely would not be sold by anyone for legal liability reasons. The L1 of the 50 amp service would feed one 30 amp socket and the L2 would feed the other, each would have a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker in series with it.

porthole

Retired
I think you might be able to find some 50 amp plug to dual 30 amp socket adapters. I assume they are made with some sort of 30 amp in-line fuses or they would not be safe and likely would not be sold by anyone for legal liability reasons. The L1 of the 50 amp service would feed one 30 amp socket and the L2 would feed the other, each would have a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker in series with it.

Why would you need that for RV's?

Everything we deal with here is either a single 30 or single 50 amp feeding the RV, so either a single 30 or 50 is all that is needed.

There is an adapter available that will allow a 50 amp coach to get power from two 30 amp receptacles or 0ne 30 amp and one 20 amp, but it requires two separate circuits to work (not a 50 amp split into two 30's at the pedestal, and no GFI).

Here is one example.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/50-amp-rv-box-adapter/25774#sthash.teqsIgJX.dpbs

These adapters will not work with a GFI outlet and you still have limited power coming in. Instead of 100 amps (50+50) you have either 60 amps (30+30) or 45-50 amps (30+15 or 30+20).

If it works you will have 40-50 amps less power available then with a full 50 hook up, but you may have enough to run just about everything everything in coach, maybe even two AC's at the same time.

I have a different version of the adepter I linked to above and have had limited success with it. It was around $75 and is not something I would buy again.

The adapter evolvingpowercat references is a common marine adapter, at least what I think he is referring too.

Many older boats that needed more then a single 30 amp supply just had an additional 30 amp supply to a "L1-L2 or A-B" breaker panel.
Our boat is built this way and as such we carried two 30 amp twist-lock power cords and a 50 amp "Y" with two 30 amp females.
The adapter is needed because most marinas have all been upgraded to full service pedestals. Typically single 100, 50, 30, 20 amp service.

There is marine adapter that matches what evolvingpowercat referenced above. A two 30 amp male "Y" into a single 50 amp. These are made for boats that have a 50 amp shore power and are plugging in to a twin 30 amp shore pedestal.

They are special and are referred to as "Smart 50's". They are typically built with sealed relays that allow you to plug in one of the male 30's and not have the 2nd male 30 hot. Once both male 30's are plugged into proper receptacles power is allowed through to the 50 amp end. These are expensive, in the 400-600 dollar range.

Homemade versions of these adapters are deadly.

On edit, this is the adapter I carry.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/cheater_box.htm

porthole

Retired
Duane, Would that adapter have any effect on my Progressive Ems?

This one?

I have no issues with my Progressive EMS. But I don't use it that often. Last time I used it was this past trip up to NH Dog Camp.

For the most part I got little success out of using this adapter and/or my 50 amp Hughes Autoformer.
But, if you saw what we were trying to pull power from you would understand.