Is this a crazy idea?

We recently purchased a new Silverado 5er with the intention of full timing in my upcoming retirement. My dilemma concerns a truck choice and I had a thought that I'm sure others have as well. We would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Our plan is to spend summers on The Oregon Coast and winters here in Texas near friends and family. I know we generally see the worst of things on a forum such as this, but looking at the problems many are having with their tow vehicles, the overall expense of buying a truck, and the cost to move the 5er some 2000 miles twice a year, it occurred to me that maybe we would be better served to buy a second 5er in Oregon and pay someone to move it in and out of storage a couple of times a year, or hire someone to relocate us should we desire a change of scenery every so often.

That way, we could keep our reasonably fuel efficient '13 Ford Escape for everyday and commuting twice a year. Also, the cost to get another unit would be fairly comparable to buying a truck. I'm sure others have thought about this, so I would welcome your ideas. Thanks!

danemayer

Hi Steve,

At 10mpg and $4/gallon, a 2,000 mile tow will cost you $800 each way in fuel alone, or $1600 per year. Other travel related expense avoidance is easily a few hundred more per year. So maybe you'll save $2000/year.

Having 2 RVs without tow capability will add some mobile service travel expense. And of course maintaining 2 trailers adds expense. And you'll have storage expense that will eat up a large portion of your savings. It's possible you might break even, or even save some money as you drive the Escape instead of driving the truck everywhere you go when not towing.

On the downside, you'll have quite a bit of stuff to move back and forth or you'll have 2 sets of everything. And you'll have hotel expenses that will be higher than campground expenses. And sometimes when you set up the first time coming out of seasonal storage, you find out that things don't always work perfectly. Insurance will be double. Kind of like having 2 sticks and bricks homes.

John T Bettencourt

CapnSteve59, You are thinking in the right direction. I towed to Florida one year. I bought a park model the next year. I have my 5er on the Cape Cod Canal all summer. It is way cheaper to do it that way. The cost of towing and breakdowns (which you will have towing) is not worth the hassle. Good Luck in which route you take.

Birchwood

We haul our RV to Florida each year because we don't want to stay at the same park for 6 months.We enjoy our Novembers on the Florida Panhandle and our
Aprils in south Florida.Four months in central Florida is enough for us.In eastern Canada we have our lot but travel to many other places also.There are two types of RVers.....those who travel and those who sit.Hauling an RV is not a money saving lifestyle but its fun.

Miltp920

Like this last post said, depends what you want to do. I put my first two 5th wheels on a seasonal lot. I did not even own a tow vehicle. Deal included delivery to lot. Drove my fuel efficient car/truck to visit campernearly every weekend, 45 minute drive. Now I pay $4 a gallon for fuel. Seasonal lot = fuel cost. I think there would be less cost to just buying another 5er, than buying and maintaining a tow vehicle. There are some really nice park models out their, just like small homes. Just talked to a lady that paid under 20k for park model with glass room attached, nice. Saw several others for under 30k. That is price for used tow vehicle. I bet you could hire a driver to tow your second 5er a time or two and still be money ahead compared to having your own TV.