Issues?

tank1949

My wife and I purchased a Big Horn Traveler 32rs, 2021 model in Feb of 2021. I suspect we have a lemon. The dealer (Great American RV) is 75 miles one way from our home. I have had to return it to the dealer with issues at least a dozen times. At 5 bucks a gallon/diesel, this sucks! The latest problem concerned that 6 hydraulic jacks world not withdraw so that we could go camping last week. We called the dealer last week who seemed confused and couldn't remedy a solution. We phoned Lippert( I hope spelled correctly). The technician sent us information and we were finally able to retract all 6 jacks. Back in the 1960s many vehicle motors were high compression and starters didn't last long. Lippert suggested to jump solenoid, but that didn't work. I suspect my trailer's pump motor has a dead spot. I had to purchase a right angle cordless drill and manually drive the pump motor with a canaballized Allen wrench ( I cut it to fit drill motor) . It worked. However, when we got to the camp ground, we decided not to disconnect trailer from our truck (too scared). Then, the back 2 slides would not go out (has gear teeth) . Bed slide worked. It has cables. Crappy weekend!!!!!! We could not get good cell phone reception, or we would have called Lippert again.

Today Heartland technician told me that the back 2 slides (rack and pinion as best that I can tell) are powered by the hydraulic jack motor. That doesn't make sense since rack and pinion implies gear driven with electrical motors. Does anyone know where the motor for the back two slides is located? I don't believe they are hydraulic. Regardless, I need a good hydraulic schematic, including the electrical part. I also need slide schematics. Help!

Roller4tan

The rack gears keep the slideouts running even. If you look close you'll probably see the hydraulic cylinder shaft in between them.
I'd call heartland with your vin and explain to them the issue and ask for a local rv repair shop for the fix.

sengli

Standard set up up on the fivers for heartland... would be your main larger slides and the of course your leveling are all driven by the same hydraulic pump system. The bedroom slide is a BAL electric cable system. The rack and pinion set up is on the hydraulically driven larger slides is to keep them in alignment as they go in and out. Looking under those slides, you should see a hydraulic ram somewhere connected to the slide. By the way the pump is not serviceable, according to lippert. They replace the entire assembly if there is an issue with it. Mine on my landmark had a small leak, and they just replaced it under warranty.

Unlike buying a car, you need to be very handy. Relying on the dealer for warranty issues is a slow many times painful process.

Last edited:

david-steph2018

My wife and I purchased a Big Horn Traveler 32rs, 2021 model in Feb of 2021. I suspect we have a lemon. The dealer (Great American RV) is 75 miles one way from our home. I have had to return it to the dealer with issues at least a dozen times. At 5 bucks a gallon/diesel, this sucks! The latest problem concerned that 6 hydraulic jacks world not withdraw so that we could go camping last week. We called the dealer last week who seemed confused and couldn't remedy a solution. We phoned Lippert( I hope spelled correctly). The technician sent us information and we were finally able to retract all 6 jacks. Back in the 1960s many vehicle motors were high compression and starters didn't last long. Lippert suggested to jump solenoid, but that didn't work. I suspect my trailer's pump motor has a dead spot. I had to purchase a right angle cordless drill and manually drive the pump motor with a canaballized Allen wrench ( I cut it to fit drill motor) . It worked. However, when we got to the camp ground, we decided not to disconnect trailer from our truck (too scared). Then, the back 2 slides would not go out (has gear teeth) . Bed slide worked. It has cables. Crappy weekend!!!!!! We could not get good cell phone reception, or we would have called Lippert again.

Today Heartland technician told me that the back 2 slides (rack and pinion as best that I can tell) are powered by the hydraulic jack motor. That doesn't make sense since rack and pinion implies gear driven with electrical motors. Does anyone know where the motor for the back two slides is located? I don't believe they are hydraulic. Regardless, I need a good hydraulic schematic, including the electrical part. I also need slide schematics. Help!
One question have you checked your batteries yet? If the battery is low this system will not work.

tank1949

One question have you checked your batteries yet? If the battery is low this system will not work.
When I jumped noids, the jumper cabal end almost melted. Besides, inside gauge indicated fully charged. I suspect dead spot on motor is causing circuit breaker to trip. Great Heartland PDF on how these can trip.

Jim Posz

I purchased this same make and model off the dealer's lot October '21. It has one single hydraulic pump to operate both living room and kitchen slides, as well as the auto-level function. When we did the walk through with the unit on battery power only, the hydraulics quickly started acting up, and battery level was shown as low on the auto level control panel in the basement.

It was on the lot with a single group 24 battery, which also powers the residential fridge via inverter.

Before taking delivery I had the dealer upgrade the battery system with two Interstate group 27 batteries ( at my expense) and the problem went away. IMHO the pump is much happier with the additional battery power - less voltage drop under load. I wanted the additional battery power eventually, but wanted to see that it would make the difference, and it did.

Hope this helps
Jim.

tank1949

I purchased this same make and model off the dealer's lot October '21. It has one single hydraulic pump to operate both living room and kitchen slides, as well as the auto-level function. When we did the walk through with the unit on battery power only, the hydraulics quickly started acting up, and battery level was shown as low on the auto level control panel in the basement.

It was on the lot with a single group 24 battery, which also powers the residential fridge via inverter.

Before taking delivery I had the dealer upgrade the battery system with two Interstate group 27 batteries ( at my expense) and the problem went away. IMHO the pump is much happier with the additional battery power - less voltage drop under load. I wanted the additional battery power eventually, but wanted to see that it would make the difference, and it did.

Hope this helps
Jim.
My battery was a 27 and fully charged per instrument reading. Thx!

Jim Posz

If I am not mistaken the units are shipped from the factory without the battery and the dealer installs it. Apparently my dealer took a cheaper route than yours.
Little over a year ago we were caught in the great Texas blackout with our previous unit. We learned that a single group 27 was able to keep the furnace fan going for a little less than a day. We were able to barrow a generator from the neighbor to get us through, but it was still ugly.

Good luck with your situation.

tank1949

If I am not mistaken the units are shipped from the factory without the battery and the dealer installs it. Apparently my dealer took a cheaper route than yours.
Little over a year ago we were caught in the great Texas blackout with our previous unit. We learned that a single group 27 was able to keep the furnace fan going for a little less than a day. We were able to barrow a generator from the neighbor to get us through, but it was still ugly.

Good luck with your situation.
Well, neither dealer, Heartland nor Lippert (sic) ) knew how to slolve my problem over phone. The circuit breaker tripped.
The rack gears keep the slideouts running even. If you look close you'll probably see the hydraulic cylinder shaft in between them.
I'd call heartland with your vin and explain to them the issue and ask for a local rv repair shop for the fix.
I did, but they seemed ignorant to solve problem.

wdk450

If you have internet access, there are a LOT of videos on You Tube for troubleshooting and repairing all sorts of RV (and tow vehicle) problems.
Just do a search from the You Tube main page like you would do a Google websearch.

Also Do a websearch (like Google) on the problems to get info from boards and groups ( like ours) on your problems.