It took a year but he likes it full time

ParkIt

DH finally figured out living full time in our BC is definitely doable! :)

He was wary there wouldn't be enough room until we headed to the eastern part of the state to pick apples after his layoff from the federal government (18 years there, he was the first to get the axe). Since we had a great spot at a great price in Vantage with better weather than at home it was easy enough to get into a schedule of preparing for the day - he likes to make the morning breakfast and lunch stuff, it set me on getting our work clothes out of the basement including lunch & water containers. We were there almost a full month when the job offers started coming in so we had enough time to figure it all out.

In the evenings he realized:
Yes, it is better and more comfortable to have a toilet room instead of the toilet next to the sink & shower with 2 doors to close off from the bedroom or living area.
The recliners aren't bad (of course I moved them to where the couch was so it faces the TV) but his only gripe because he's a clutz is a temporary fold up tv type table would catch on the edge of the recliner foot and go flying...and I'm quick enough to grab anything that holds liquid before it does go airborne. We'll replace it with something that works better.
There is enough room for 2 in the kitchen and enough storage space for things we use at home.
Yes, my idea of putting the dining table on a single stand that swivels would be much easier with 2 people than the current bolted to the floor set up with 4 chairs.
Sticky notes on which propane tank was filled last ends the exercise of pulling them out to see which ones need to be filled.
A water regulator may reduce the flow but its steady and even, takes less time to get hot water as well when hooked up to city water.
The queen size bed with small shelves I put up works much better and is plenty of room. The king size bed at home is way too big!
Last but not least...I'm a lot happier when it only takes me half an hour to clean the entire unit as opposed to 5-6 hours once a week at home ;)

While we have plans to install certain things and upgrade others, overall he realized all that house space I've been griping about has merit and our Heartland is perfect for the two of us. Now he's on a mission to help me (finally) get all the crap sold out of our house I've put in two rooms and rent out the rooms, we have full hooks ups on the side of the house until he's done with school then we are leaving - not sure if we will sell or rent but that's a bridge we'll cross when we get to it.
Overall it really feels like home but a nice smaller version of home, we really love our Heartland for full time living :)

Speedy

My wife and I moved into our BC for the summer to test living in it. Well with the economy still in the dump and things not looking brighter my company laid me off after 21 years so we are not moving out of the BC for the winter but moving the BC to warmer accomodations. So far we have really enjoyed it especially when it came time to packing up to leave for a rally. Less than an hour of un-hooking things and we were on the road versus taking more than a day to pull it out of storage and pack it with food and clothes.

The plan is to close out all ties to Minnesota, drive to South Dakota to establish residency there and then head to Texas or Alabama and start a new chapter in our lives.

Good luck to you both and maybe we'll see you at a rally in the coming year.

ParkIt

Hope to meet you Speedy, this job and market boat is riding the waves as they roll in but it just makes more sense to rent out the rooms to people we know and live in our unit. It took this trip to get everything set up for the hour (or less) to be ready set up or ready to roll, at least I've had time to get that down from owning an RV.

We have similar plans on the SD residency, its insane the amount our state charges for tag renewal even if it is a tax credit! Not sure where we will end up but at least we can go there without the hassle of having to rent and as much as I love the area, I'm tired of cold wet winter that lasts for 6 months. Its time for a switch up but then again, I think there is a bit of gypsy blood in me and my husband :)

jimtoo

Hey ParkIt and Speedy,

Ya'll come on down to South Texas. We will adopt anyone and ya'll can become Texans almost over night. (Actually it takes about 30 days to be legal I think. )

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Come on down! The more the merrier!

Erika
(Native Texan!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VKTalley

My wife and I moved into our BC for the summer to test living in it. Well with the economy still in the dump and things not looking brighter my company laid me off after 21 years so we are not moving out of the BC for the winter but moving the BC to warmer accomodations. So far we have really enjoyed it especially when it came time to packing up to leave for a rally. Less than an hour of un-hooking things and we were on the road versus taking more than a day to pull it out of storage and pack it with food and clothes.

The plan is to close out all ties to Minnesota, drive to South Dakota to establish residency there and then head to Texas or Alabama and start a new chapter in our lives.

Good luck to you both and maybe we'll see you at a rally in the coming year.

John and Rana, head on south to Alabama! Y'all would be most welcome here. Malcolm and I live in the Montgomery area. We, too, are enjoying living in out BC. We have spent more time in it than in our house since we bought our BC almost two months ago.

ParkIt

The Texas thing is making me giggle a bit - I've quite a few friends that have moved there and the offer is open to bring down our unit, park it on their land with hookups. Doesn't hurt I lived and traveled ALL of Texas for 16 months though it was quite a few years back.

Waiting to get my CDL out of the way first before heading down - they need certified drivers to haul show horses which would be a lot of fun. Miss being around horses after growing up on a farm and riding my own for many years :)