kitchen table splitting

Draco Dog

We have a 2010 Big Horn 5th wheel. We are full-timers and I love the Big Horn.

Problem: I have recently noticed that our kitchen table is beginning to split. It's only about an inch now, but I need help on what to do about this. Hopefully there is something I can coat the top of the table with to stop this split and to prevent others in the future.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. cheri & Ernie

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Draco Dog, you probably will need to add some pictures of the split. There are a lot of people here that can help you.

piet10

I have had really good luck with WonderLok 'Em, I buy it from Rockler. It is similar to super glue, but the wood just sucks it in.

Link http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=10075&max=999

For a table that is just starting to split, I would drill a small hole, perhaps 7/64, lengthwise down the middle of the split. Drill it longer than the split so the glue will soak into the wood and prevent the split from increasing further. Then, set up a "clamp" using a ratchet strap around the table to close up the split after gluing. It may not close it up depending on the split but worth a try. Then with the table on end so the glue runs down into the hole and fills the split, fill the hole with glue. After a few seconds to let the glue fill in the split tighten up the ratchet as tight as it will go. Don't wait too long, because this stuff sets in a few minutes. I'd wait an hour just to be safe, then remove the ratchet strap and you should be good to go.

Good luck and let us know how it works!

Al
HL #2260

Draco Dog

I had hubby read your answers. Thank you so much for your help. The crack in the table is only about an inch long and just a hair-line crack, but wanted it taken care of b4 it got worse. Thanks again for your help. I'll write back when we get it taken care of .