Kudos for Tyron Wheel Bands

cjbearden

Visitor
On 10-20-2010, we were traveling I-37N to San Antonio from Aransas Pass, TX. We incurred two Goodyear tire blowouts (consecutively). TPMS did not even kick in the blowouts happened so quickly. Once the loud pop occurred, the smoke was rolling and J.D. got the Landmark pulled quickly to the shoulder. First occurence took out most of the fender area, some wheel well damage along with black marks to outer surface near entry door, broke trim around the steps, took out side trim light near step. Second occurence took the rest of the fender area and tore metal bottom of the main slide and bent center landing gear. Three hour trip took us almost nine tired hours.

ExploreUSA, Seguin, TX, will be completing the repair work for us. Had we not had Tyron bands, which kept major portion of tires intact, damage would have been much more extreme. If you have a chance to purchase Tyron, we think they are worth the investment.

CJ

Attachments

• GYtires1and2.JPG
    GYtires1and2.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 105
  • JDremovingtornpieces.JPG
    JDremovingtornpieces.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 94
  • ElectricalforSideTrimLightLost.JPG
    ElectricalforSideTrimLightLost.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DoorsideSlideBottomPanel.JPG
    DoorsideSlideBottomPanel.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DoorsideSlideCorner.JPG
    DoorsideSlideCorner.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DoorStep.JPG
    DoorStep.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 97
  • After2ndtire.JPG
    After2ndtire.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Damageafter1stire.JPG
    Damageafter1stire.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 105
  • SecondGYtireblown.JPG
    SecondGYtireblown.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 103

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Interesting, so I went to their website and then to the North American site. Naturally, there are no dealers anywhere near Michigan, like most major RV accessories and upgrades. What is the ball park figure on those bands?

cjbearden

Visitor
Are you ready John? How about $1695? Seems a bit more pricey than the UK where these are popular but I think they have been worth it.

jimtoo

On 10-20-2010, we were traveling I-37N to San Antonio from Aransas Pass, TX. We incurred two Goodyear tire blowouts (consecutively).

ExploreUSA, Seguin, TX, will be completing the repair work for us. Had we not had Tyron bands, which kept major portion of tires intact, damage would have been much more extreme. If you have a chance to purchase Tyron, we think they are worth the investment.

CJ

Hey JD and CJ,,, sorry you had a problem,,, but you tell those guys, Ben and all the others, that we said they better take care of you. Your our friends. I think they will take care of you very well,,, we have had great service from them and sales...

Jim and Bette

cjbearden

Visitor
Quoting from tyron.org:
'Tyron is attached over the wheel’s "drop center" after the tire has been fitted.

After a puncture of blowout, Tyron supports the deflated tire and prevents it from falling into the wheel well.

This action greatly increases tire stability, and therefore steering, cornering and braking control can be dramatically improved.'

jimtoo: Ben is out recuperating from some surgery. Maybe he will be back when we go for installation of parts to repair our RV. We just got a quote yesterday and parts were supposed to be ordered today. Now we wait for HL to do their thing.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for that answer. I Googled it after I posted the question and found Demontrond RV in Houston is a dealer. Seems like a lot of money for it though. I didn't look like it prevented any damage. We have had two blowouts on ours with similar damage and neither time were there any control issues with the RV. One time there was minor scratches to the wheel which the insurance replaced. BTW it is my understanding GoodYear backs their tires and will pay for damages if the time prematurely blew out due to a warrantable issue.

cjbearden

Visitor
Jim, due to there being two consecutive blowouts, ExploreUSA said the damage could have extended farther up the side of the slide, included hydraulics and more of the underbelly and possibly slide flooring, brake lines, etc. The second blowout did finish taking out the large fender piece and starting tearing back the bottom panel of the slide metal part. The second blowout also removed a greater portion of the wheel well area. Had we only sustained one blow out, there would not have been as extensive damage as we had. Without Tyron holding the tires on the wheel, I don't even want to imagine what would have occurred and possibly involving passing motorists. We are familiar with GY's payment of damages resulting from tire failure and are working on that now. J.D. had no problem with control either. AugustaLady was still pulling straight and true, just limping a little.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, due to there being two consecutive blowouts, ExploreUSA said the damage could have extended farther up the side of the slide, included hydraulics and more of the underbelly and possibly slide flooring, brake lines, etc. The second blowout did finish taking out the large fender piece and starting tearing back the bottom panel of the slide metal part. The second blowout also removed a greater portion of the wheel well area. Had we only sustained one blow out, there would not have been as extensive damage as we had. Without Tyron holding the tires on the wheel, I don't even want to imagine what would have occurred and possibly involving passing motorists. We are familiar with GY's payment of damages resulting from tire failure and are working on that now. J.D. had no problem with control either. AugustaLady was still pulling straight and true, just limping a little.

It was 3 years ago when we had our blowouts. Here are the pictures of the second one. As you can see the damage and we lost the tread at the time when the tire blew. It did take out the brake wires (at the time we did not have disc brakes). There was no loss of control of the trailer.

I still believe some type of inner fender would prevent damages of this sort.

Attachments

• DSC00698.JPG
    DSC00698.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00695.JPG
    DSC00695.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00691.JPG
    DSC00691.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00689.JPG
    DSC00689.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00688.JPG
    DSC00688.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 42

cjbearden

Visitor
PTL, parts have arrived. We are scheduled into ExploreUSA on Monday, Nov 22. Goodyear came thru paying repair costs and full set of tires. Goodyear has not been forthcoming as to why they think blowouts occurred. We are just thrilled to have these unexpected expenses paid in full. Will post pics of repair work later.

cjbearden

Visitor
ExploreUSA, Sequin, TX

Ray and Lin, we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at TJ's Burgers in New Braunfels while waiting for the rig to be repaired. Glad you made a safe trip to Corpus Christi.

Great bunch of folks at ExploreUSA and a lot of HL's on their lot. Looked like they were carrying almost every model made by HL. Great place to shop for those in the market to buy first time or upgrade. No, we are not getting a commission! Saw one of the new 3800RD BHs, five-slide unit. Sweet.
FendersJWrapandLightPanel.JPG StepsMolding.JPG

Last edited: