Lake Tahoe and Bears

jesnjim11

Hello,

we are going to be camping Lake Tahoe, CA side in July. they are strict on rules about bears and keeping food in a locker. we are wondering if we can keep stuff in a freezer? as we discuss this we are considering not even starting up the Fridge while camping if we have to keep all food items in the locker? anyone camp Tahoe can give us some insight?

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
hello jesnjim, We camp at Lake Tahoe about 5 times between Memorial Day and late October. I know that Camp Richardson has bear boxes for those camp sites for tenters. They do have a sow and Cubs wander through on occasions. Hard side RVS are not an issue. If you leave a cooler outside they'll open them in 15 seconds. We also camp at Campground By the Lake and Zephyr Cove and they also have some bear activity. Just use common sense. If you hear a lot of yelling and flashlights all over the place, generally bear wandering through. Or it could be some snipe hunters. Need any info on any good hikes, sites etc send me a PM.
Happy camping and enjoy our very full and cold Lake Tahoe,
George

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Haven’t hunted snipe in years. Thought they were extinct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They are only on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe. Migrated when Jerry Brown was elected the second time :confused::confused:.

Kbvols

Haven’t hunted snipe in years. Thought they were extinct.

Used to be alot of snipes during my college days.

Armed with tennis rackets and flashlights the "City Boys" would get all kind of excited when we took them on their first hunt.

SLO

Armed with tennis rackets and flashlights the "City Boys" would get all kind of excited when we took them on their first hunt.

I remember my first hunt. We used potato sacks in the Calif. Central Valley. Those were the days. In any case. Don’t worry about bears while camping in your trailer. Backpacking I didn’t worry about them as long as we kept food in bear can. But had them come into camp plenty of times.