Landing gear and slide same time??

Hello. First time 5th wheel owner here and we just took possession of our new to us 14 Cyclone 4018! Super excited! I purchased it through an auction out of state so my previous owner information is limited. I have used the search function for many things but haven't been able to figure this out yet.

When I drop the front landing gear, the large slide opens.

When I raise the front landing gear, the large slide closes.

Landing gear is hydraulic and I believe the slide is electric. The slide comes all the way out before the jacks start to come down and the slide comes all the way in before the jacks retract.

I feel like this may not be normal so I figured I'd ask your thoughts.

Thank you!

danemayer

For the slide to do this, it must be hydraulic, and large slides are typically hydraulic. Any of the hydraulic jacks or slides move then 1) the pump motor is turning, and 2) the control valve for that device is open. In your case, the valve for the large slide is stuck open, allowing fluid to move to and from the hydraulic ram when you are just trying to operate the landing jacks.

It may be that the valve was manually opened and needs to be manually closed. The valves for the slides sometimes have manual controls near the hydraulic pump. Take a look at the pump and tank (probably in the front storage area under the pinbox) and see if the hoses lead to manual controls like these:
BH Slideout Controls.JPG

There's another style that's also been used that has larger knobs. And on some older rigs, the valve control may be simply an allen setscrew located on the hydraulic pump. In general, the valve is manually closed by rotating counter-clockwise, finger tight. Once closed, the electrical signal from the switch opens and closes it as needed.

It's also possible some crud is stuck in the valve, or that the valve is mechanically stuck, or perhaps the switch that controls it is shorted, or that the fluid is sticky and needs to be replaced.

For the slide to do this, it must be hydraulic, and large slides are typically hydraulic. Any of the hydraulic jacks or slides move then 1) the pump motor is turning, and 2) the control valve for that device is open. In your case, the valve for the large slide is stuck open, allowing fluid to move to and from the hydraulic ram when you are just trying to operate the landing jacks.

It may be that the valve was manually opened and needs to be manually closed. The valves for the slides sometimes have manual controls near the hydraulic pump. Take a look at the pump and tank (probably in the front storage area under the pinbox) and see if the hoses lead to manual controls like these:
View attachment 66634

There's another style that's also been used that has larger knobs. And on some older rigs, the valve control may be simply an allen setscrew located on the hydraulic pump. In general, the valve is manually closed by rotating counter-clockwise, finger tight. Once closed, the electrical signal from the switch opens and closes it as needed.

It's also possible some crud is stuck in the valve, or that the valve is mechanically stuck, or perhaps the switch that controls it is shorted, or that the fluid is sticky and needs to be replaced.

Wow amazing thank you! The rig is in storage and I will be able to get to it this weekend as I am working right now. I will take a pic of the pump and maybe you can point out what i should be looking at. Thank you so much for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 66634

20211222_125318.jpg

View attachment 66634

Any knob I should try turning in the pics I posted? Thank you again.

danemayer

You might start with the thumb control knob above the pump motor. Also look for allen setscrews elsewhere on the manifold where hoses attach.

09Busaman

Mine was acting the same way on our second trip out. The landing gear was fine but as soon as I tried to operate a slide the landing gear would operate as well. When extending the slides, the landing gear would extend, when retracting the slides the landing gear would retract. I didnt have time to get it in to the dealer to look at is as we travel with ours. I wont really call it a solution, but we were set up one weekend over 4th of July, I was ready to break down and leave camp and decided I would put the camper on the hitch, retracted the slides and before the slides were fully retracted the landing gear bottomed out on the up travel side, which I can only guess passed a piece of debris and the system has worked flawlessly since that time.