Landing legs & 6 pt level support rig w/o tires

NYSUPstater

Question. I asked about new tires for our Big Country and later thought of another question.

yes, I've used the 2 hyd cyl on one side to lift the coach to grease things or to remove a wheel w/o a problem. Truck was attached to coach at same time. Now can I raise the whole coach w/o the truck attached using just the front jacks and 4 other cyl in order to remove the tires when time comes to take them to shop for new ones? This way I can toss them into truck and take them down and leave them and p/u next day or so. Yes, I could take the whole rig down and do 1 side at a time and waste a good portion of my day as they do them ( don't think they'll take 'em off and re-install 'em). Need to put HD jack stands under rear portion of frame as well as front if done this way?? I know I've lifted the whole coach w/ truck attached w/ the rear legs, put put stands under the frame while under it.

What's the verdict? If it could be done, how long will the everything stay up w/o going down by itself?

Thanks gang.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I had my recalled Sailuns replaced I did exactly what you are proposing, take all the tires in at once.
Use jack stands for safety. I used four 6K stands.
As far as concerns about dropping down by itself, it shouldn't. My rig has been sitting with the tires of the ground all winter. It hasn't moved.

Peace
Dave

Piperflyer

Did you jack the axles and support with jack stands to remove the tires or jack and support the RV frame with the stands?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just raised the entire rig with the Level-up system till the wheels were of the ground then put the stands under the frame, both sides, front and rear of the main frame.
The only caution would be to watch that you don't flip a shackle when lowering.

Peace
Dave

jmarnell

When we needed new tires, I also used the leveling system to raise our Cyclone high enough to remove all 6 tires at the same time. Loaded them into our small utility trailer and took them down to the dealer to get the new tires mounted. Worked fine. I had it up without the tires for a couple of days without any issues. We have the MorRyde independent suspension system, so no shackles to worry about when lowering back down.

NYSUPstater

I haven't done anything yet as the RV is still in storage. Just wondering if ok to lift the entire rig without the truck attached using the 6 pt only.

Should I place stands on either side of the axles for 4 in total there and 2 more up front (1 on each side/behind the landing legs)?

Based on replies so far, ok to do so, just take extra steps in case of jack failure. Now to see if my shop will let me borrow 4 or 6 for a cple days.