Landmark Purchase

wrayj1

We are considering purchasing a Heartland Landmark 5th wheel and would like honest feedback, both pro and con, from current owners.

SmokeyBare

There are plenty of posts about all of Heartland's RVs.... if you look on the tool bar, you will see "SEARCH" button. Using the search... You should come up with several posts about Heartland's top of the line Fifth Wheel... Landmark.

I just tried and came up with 80 pages of Posts... by typing in the word Landmark.

Good Luck prowling around the Forum... I'm sure others will be giving lots of feedback as well.

2010augusta

Overall we are very happy with our Augusta. We had issues with water leaks in the basement because I had NO P.D.I. If the dealer or I had inspected all the threaded fittings this could have been avoided. There was no damage caused by the leaks, just a few headaches. During my inspection of the fittings I found and replaced a couple cross-threaded fittings, and I replaced a couple check-valves with ball valves. Other than the plumbing there has been few other issues. We live in the trailer full-time and have been in freezing ice storms, to 106 degree Texas summers, to weeks of rain and wind. The trailer is water tight and well insulated. Between the Dual-pane windows and dual A/Cs we can keep it cool in the hottest summer weather and warm in the winter below freezing. During the 100+ degree summer, I had to turn the refer vent fans on to run 24/7 to keep the refrigerator cold, but it keep working all summer. We have had excellent service from Heartland and there suppliers when we needed parts. From all of my research I would buy another Heartland before ANY other trailer.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
You can't go wrong with a Heartland RV. We have a 2009 Big Country and love it.You guys will not only be buying a great camper but you will also become members of a family of owners that is second to none.

Mike

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We have a 2010 Landmark Pinehurst model which we took delivery on in April. Just got back from a week in Roanoke, Virginia in it. We absolutely love it.

Has it been perfect, no. But I challange anyone to show me any rig all the way up to the 6 figure ones that are perfect. We had some issues, like having to replace the A/C unit and a loose main power breaker lead, but we have a fantastic dealer who has come to the rescue every time. To me that's the key. Heartland makes a great product and they stand behind it, but you need a dealer you can trust and count on. For us Chesapeaake RV Solutions has been that kind of a dealer.

Buy your Landmark, it will be one of the best decisions you ever make.

No, I don't get a commission from Heartland nor RV Solutions :):) Just a very satisfied customer.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We love our Augusta! This is our second Heartland unit and we couldn't be happier. Heartland is a great company to deal with. They stand behind their products and customers. Please continue to surf our forum and you will see what I mean. BTW, Heartland owners are the best people around.

Good luck,
Mark

Tom of Ypsi

We have a "Classic" Landmark Mt Rushmore. While we have had problems they have all been resolved by Heartland above and beyond what was asked of them. If and when you decide to purchase a Heartland product do some checking on the selling dealer. A good dealer can make you one happy customer and a bad dealer can ruin your day no matter what product you choose.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We also have a "Classic"2005 Landmark,Mt Rushmore,number 134.We have had some problems,but none major.We looked hard for 6 months at all brands but after we saw the Landmark,we used it as the measuring stick.We love it and would buy a Heartland product again.Find a dealer you trust and go for it.

cjbearden

Visitor
We upgraded our 2006 BH 3400RL to our current 2009 Landmark Augusta. We full-time now and this upgrade provided us with the kitchen we both wanted.

We have had issues with both HL products, but we have been blessed with great HL Customer Service. Several of the problems on our Augusta related to 'supplier products' rather than structure of the Augusta. We used our purchasing dealer twice (initial purchase prep and then a return this year for an extended warranty item). We always found Heartland dealers wherever we traveled that were more than willing to help us out when needed. HL Customer Service was there to help us every mile. It is important to establish a routine maintenance checklist. The nation's highways are not kind to RVers! Things do jiggle loose so check those connections often.

Get as much repair work done during the first year warranty. If you feel you need extra attention, make the trip to Elkhart to go to RV Capital or wherever HL instructs you to go. The trip is well worth your time. Attend the national HL rally when it is in Goshen - there are a lot of the suppliers present making many repairs/adjustments.

Read on the forum what others have done after market to improve their units. We have talked with many owners of other brand RVs. They all have the same issues as HL RVs. The big, big difference is Heartland's Customer Service.

We hope you will find a Landmark to your liking and come join the wonderful HL family.

beardedone

Beardedone
We have an 09 Augusta. Overall it is a fairly good trailer and my wife really likes it. We had two problems. One probably isn't too common because they forgot to complete the plumbing from the washing maching to the grey tank = big flood. The second issue was the poor spring assembly. I was a couple months out of warranty when I found this very poorly designed system was failing and tires started to rub on the shocks. As soon as it was discovered I was out of warranty there was no support from Heartland or Lippert, which I feel there should be because this was a basic manufacture problem. It is going to cost $1000 to fix. Buy the trailer but check the undercarriage regularly. Measure it when you get it so you have a base point for reference. I don't feel I got any support at all.

jbeletti

...As soon as it was discovered I was out of warranty there was no support from Heartland or Lippert, which I feel there should be because this was a basic manufacture problem. It is going to cost $1000 to fix...

Gerry,

What was your purchase date? Lippert's warranty is 1 year from date of purchase. See this post. $1000 seems high to change springs. If you have not already had them changed, you may wish to seek a second quote.

Jim

Last edited:

beardedone

Beardedone
I have been talking to Dave at Lippert and he told me one year only. I did a post saying it was two years but Lippert denies that. I thought the cost was high also. I can probably buy SOB axles for a little more and just replace them. It has been very disappointing because it is an engineering thing that can't seem to stand up to normal wear and tear. (This is my wife's pride and joy and if I abused it I would be walking along the shoulder of the road)

jbeletti

I have been talking to Dave at Lippert and he told me one year only. I did a post saying it was two years but Lippert denies that. I thought the cost was high also. I can probably buy SOB axles for a little more and just replace them. It has been very disappointing because it is an engineering thing that can't seem to stand up to normal wear and tear. (This is my wife's pride and joy and if I abused it I would be walking along the shoulder of the road)

Gerry,

Doubt it's an Engineering issue. More than likely, it's a material issue. It will not be known unless Lippert does the metalurgical analysis on the broken springs. They have a full lab.

I mis-spoke below and will correct it. It's one year from DOP.

Here's a link to a post that has their warranty document in it. Sorry for the error.

Jim

lwmcguir

To replace the 7,000 pound axles with 8,000 will run about $630 each. (that would be the complete assembly) 4,000 springs are available separately as well.

beardedone

Beardedone
What concerns me is that other people are having similar problem and in one case Lippert says you must have done something to it, and it was brand new! (I got a pm) This shifting of blame is awful. If there product can't stand up to normal road conditions then Heartland should be buying their axles somewhere else.

geeksrus

What concerns me is that other people are having similar problem and in one case Lippert says you must have done something to it, and it was brand new! (I got a pm) This shifting of blame is awful. If there product can't stand up to normal road conditions then Heartland should be buying their axles somewhere else.

We had a very dangerous situation with the springs. One of the leafs snapped causing severe damage to much of the rest of the suspension system & 2 tires.
Lippert supplied new springs and other hardware but this took about 4 weeks to arrive. Once these new springs were installed, I took the 5er to an axle/spring manufacturer & had Canadian made, quality 7K spring systems installed.
Lippert really played games with compensation for the initial damage (I didn't expect them to compensated me for the 7K upgrade). Eventually got about 75% of my out-of-pocket.

In the future I'll avoid a unit that has Lippert components.

Eh!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Maybe we could move some of this suspension issues to another thread as we have gotten off base with the oriiginal posters question.

Mark

beardedone

Beardedone
Hear you. The OP is worded in a way that allowed this to happen because it is does pertain to their question. In a few days I will be posting an update under a separate caption on the results or lack of results on my issue.