Larryheadhunter was Operated on 3 times in 1 1/2 Years Lumbar Back Fusions

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone,
Jim closed my thread that some good Heartland friends started for me which was titled "Larryheadhunter is getting operated on". I must say that thread and so many views over a 1000, was the best medicine I have ever taken. Without you Heartlanders, I would have been a dead duck. I still keep in contact with some of you and I miss you all.

Now the update. After going under the knife Aug 2009 for removal of a synovial cyst in the lumbar region of my spinal canal, I was wiped out. Then in July 2010 I had a L4-5, and L5 S1 fusion through my back. That failed so miserably within 6 months so in desperation I went to one of the famous sports Orthopedists in Marina Del Rey, Dr. Robert Watkins IV. He gave me no options except check myself into a detox hospital and get off all pain meds incl Morphine, Norco, Vicodin, Oxycodone, Fentanyl patches, you name it I tried it for pain. My back was totally unstable, so stopping all those drugs the next day was almost impossible. But I did it anyway, although I didn't sleep for 3 weeks. So in Feb 2011 I underwent a 360 degree anterior/posterior lumbar fusion with extra big rods, screws and gizmos. Now 3 yrs later, I am off of everything except small doses of Methadone which one day when the nerve pain recedes in my hips, IT bands and quads, I will be one happy guy. I now spend 2 hrs a day doing Yoga and Meditation and deep body neural muscular therapy weekly to cope with chronic pain. I feel like I am making progress, and I couldn't have gotten this far without my RV friends just overwhelming me with love and attention. I always said that if I could I would make a USA country tour to each person who supported me when it didn't look like I was going to get out of wheel chair, and I have had many invites. Now that I also have 12 coronary stents, my Debbi keeps a close eye out for me thank goodness I have the most loving, caring wife a man could ever have for 35 yrs in July 2014. I feel so much better now that the 2nd fusion worked, but it will take another few years before I can say I am feeling good. I now take Nu Skin nano vitamins and supplements that have made a big difference in my life.

I just want to say to all the new Heartland Family members that this forum and club are not just in name only. Many wonderful people help out anyone in need and really lifted my spirits sky high.
I am walking without assistance or even a limp, I just have to continue to do cardiac rehab, walk with our beagles Stella and Lucy, and enjoy my bday in 9 days turning 64. Without my Heartland friends I guarantee I would be a dead man. When John Dawson saw me dragging my leg, just trying to make it to the Oregon Rally in 2010, he insisted that I turn around and go home and get my back operated on, that was really good advice, thanks John, really appreciated it. I miss everyone and if I keep getting stronger I still plan to make that USA tour of thank you's. Thanks again everyone for all the great support, and I hope that my last days of RVing are not over. **** who is going to fix everything I break. I am looking forward to some emails and PM's. larryheadhunter@gmail.com if anyone wants to say hi.

Larry and Debbi Kuhn

jbeletti

Hi Larry! Thanks for the update. As we no longer have the common bond of Heartland RVing, you and I don't connect as often as we once did, so it was nice to hear from you. Keep focused my friend and follow doctors orders. Maybe you can take a car ride to a nearby rally or two this year to say hello to your Heartland friends. Just click on the Events link. Be well friend.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow Larry, it's been a long rough road and it's great to hear your positive update.
Keep on gettin better.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Hi everyone,
Jim closed my thread that some good Heartland friends started for me which was titled "Larryheadhunter is getting operated on". I must say that thread and so many views over a 1000, was the best medicine I have ever taken. Without you Heartlanders, I would have been a dead duck. I still keep in contact with some of you and I miss you all.

Larry and Debbi Kuhn

Hi Larry and welcome back to the Heartland Owners Forum. It is always great to hear how someone overcomes a debilitating disease or injury or addiction. We hope everything continues to progress for you.

Also the original thread was closed automatically by the system which has a one year inactive limit on it.

Take care.
Jim M

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hey Larry! Its good to see you on the forum again. We keep up on facebook a little but its nice to see you here too. Take care of yourself and tell Debbi hi.
Kristy

Gaffer

Good to hear you are improving. Maybe we will one day get in that game of cribbage.
PJ

rarnold

It is great to hear from you again, Larry. What a tuff couple of years for you but it sounds like you are doing SO much better and in a much different (better) place than last year. From what you have discribed, I can't imagine going through anything close to that. Keep up the cardio, yoga and vitamins. It seems like you are on that last lap to recovery and mobility. What a great and awesome nurse you have in Debbi. All out Heartland love and thoughts continue to flow out to you & Deb. I like Jim B's idea of driving up for a visit to one of our rallies in a car until you have your new rig. We would all LOVE to see you and Deb walk up and shake our hands.

Continued success to you and Debbi. It will come and you WILL get there....... soon, my friend!

Rod