Leaving trailer for a few days in freezing (or near) temps

8amps

Hi all,
We are flying to Denver tomorrow and we're leaving the rig in Las Vegas for 5 days. Temps are going to be in the low 30s, one night right now forecasted for 30. High 40s in the day. Question: what should we leave the furnace set at? It's been cold and windy the last few days. I'm worried about running out of propane while we're gone if we set it too high. I don't know how quickly we go through propane. That's Phil's area! And he doesn't know. :) Solution of course would be to have more propane, but lack of planning means propane sales are closed and we will leave the park tomorrow around 7 am.

Is 50 high enough to prevent freezing without it being too high to blow through propane? I'm thinking yes, but would rather find out from the crowd here that I'm right than come home to a frozen pipe.

Thanks always for answering my stupid questions!

Mary

BigGuy82

Hi all,
We are flying to Denver tomorrow and we're leaving the rig in Las Vegas for 5 days. Temps are going to be in the low 30s, one night right now forecasted for 30. High 40s in the day. Question: what should we leave the furnace set at? It's been cold and windy the last few days. I'm worried about running out of propane while we're gone if we set it too high. I don't know how quickly we go through propane. That's Phil's area! And he doesn't know. :) Solution of course would be to have more propane, but lack of planning means propane sales are closed and we will leave the park tomorrow around 7 am.

Is 50 high enough to prevent freezing without it being too high to blow through propane? I'm thinking yes, but would rather find out from the crowd here that I'm right than come home to a frozen pipe.

Thanks always for answering my stupid questions!

Mary

I leave my house at 55 but an RV is a different animal. I'd make sure the gas tanks are full, leave the thermostat on 55 and I'd leave an electric heater on. In fact I'd leave two electric heaters on ... can't hurt.

Also, if it's in the 40's daytime and in the low to mid 30's nighttime, I'm guessing the chance of anything freezing is pretty low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

I have our 2011 Landmark parked for the winter with furnace set to 46. Underbelly thermometer is reading 32.

Keep a drop light in the UDC and consider a light over the water pump to keep that area warm.

I can't tell you how much propane we're using because the furnace is running on electric (Cheap Heat add-on).

I'd hazard a guess that if you have 40 lb tanks and at least one is full, with thermostat at 46 you might barely make it 5 days in the weather described.

BigGuy82

I have our 2011 Landmark parked for the winter with furnace set to 46. Underbelly thermometer is reading 32.

Keep a drop light in the UDC and consider a light over the water pump to keep that area warm.

I can't tell you how much propane we're using because the furnace is running on electric (Cheap Heat add-on).

I'd hazard a guess that if you have 40 lb tanks and at least one is full, with thermostat at 46 you might barely make it 5 days in the weather described.

Do you get these readings from a system that sends info to your phone? If so, can you provide that info - I'd like to get it. Could come in handy here in the great white northeast.

danemayer

Do you get these readings from a system that sends info to your phone? If so, can you provide that info - I'd like to get it. Could come in handy here in the great white northeast.

I get the readings by walking out back and going into the RV.

BigGuy82

I get the readings by walking out back and going into the RV.

Oh. I thought you somehow monitored it remotely. I'm don't know where you live, but this sounds like your winterization plan. Up here, we winterize with anti-freeze. I was looking for a way to keep an eye on it when traveling in colder areas.

Oregon_Camper

If the temps are going at/below freezing for a few days, then you should simply blow out the lines and possibly pour antifreeze in the sinks p-traps.

However, from what you are saying, it will only be below freezing one night. That shouldn't long enough to allow any lines to freeze over.

If you just want to be safe, blow out the lines. Takes about 10 mins to do the entire trailer, including pouring antifreeze in p-traps. Then walk away. No need to heat the trailer with electric or gas.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are leaving the RV for about 56 hours. It is supposed to get around 30 or so both nights here.

When we were in Angel Fire, NM to go skiing at Christmas, it was in the teens at night. We realized we could go through about a half a 30# tank overnight, by keeping it about 65 degrees inside and about 37 in the basement. We kept the UDC light on, and have a droplight behind the basement wall.

With 2 tanks full, we should be OK. Going to set it at 50.

8amps

We are going to disconnect water, and leave furnace at 48. We have more propane than I thought, about a tank & a third. Thanks for the emergency replies!

- - - Updated - - -

We realized we could go through about a half a 30# tank overnight, by keeping it about 65 degrees inside and about 37 in the basement. We kept the UDC light on, and have a droplight behind the basement wall.

I didn't realize there would be such a variance between inside and basement temps. (Though of course, duh!) We've never really encountered super low temps. Caught a 30 or 28 once or twice, but never teens. Just luck I guess because i know you can get them even while you're trying to avoid them.

Gaffer

I have had my trailer go for a week when set at 40 in single digit overnight Temps with highs 10 to 20. Didn't even freeze a water bottle in the belly.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Welcome back to Denver!

There is a Colorado HOC Meet & Greet in Castle Rock on Saturday if you can make it!