Level up doesn't work right - doesn't realize grounding of the front jacks and keeps trying

benmack1

Trailer is 2016 BC 4010RD. The LCI level-up is failing to auto level. Jacks all work manually fine. I had it parked for ~ 3 weeks on the jacks. I retracted fine, hooked to the truck and pulled out of the storage shed up to the driveway to load up. This setting is rear lower than the front but it has leveled itself here several times before. (I also tried this on a more level site after it failed).

Symptoms:

After disconnecting from the truck. Hit autolevel. The front jacks retract saying 'grounding jacks'. They go all the way up (fully retracted). This doesn't always go that far but this was front higher than rear so it was reasonable in this situation I thought. When the front jacks are fully sucked in it still runs the pump for a few seconds. Then stops, says 'please wait' 'grounding jacks' then tries some more a couple times then says 'error Jacks timed out'. I worry it's going to burn up the pump doing this so I didn't try too much. That is the end of it. It never tries to go further and extend the rears or anything.

I can level it manually. I disconnected the red wire to the brain in the front compartment for 10 min to 'reset' and it made no difference. I also recalibrated the level. Also made no difference. I can't find anything else to try. The trailer always is on a progressive industries power protection module so I highly doubt any electrical spikes or anything got it. Any ideas?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've had a few occasions odd things like this have happened to mine. The first was it kept trying to raise the right rear corner way up in the air. I stopped it pulled the rear jacks up and hit Auto level... Same thing 3 times in a row.
So I manually leveled it with no problems.
Got home unhook, hit Auto level and it worked perfectly.

The next time I was in a spot back up hill.
Hit Auto level and got a jacks grounded (I think that's what it said)
error code
I tried several times no luck.
Leveled it manually no problem.
Go home unhook, hit Auto level - work perfectly again.
Not sure what's causing it.
Maybe it's Shaken baby syndrome from these California roads.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Sounds sorta like mine. On occasion when using Autolevel it will fully extend the DS rear jacks and if you don't catch it quick enough it will show an out of limit tilt angle (3.7 deg) and lock up. At that point you have to manually retract the jack and get it sorta level as it will not extend the jacks. Once sorta level recal it and it will get rid of the error message and the manual operation will be normal. The main unit has been replaced already and the new one has the same problem. Last time I talked to Lippert they said check the rear sensor for mounting. I called Heartland Thur to find out where the rear sensor is located and they were going to have to check with someone and e-mail me the info. Not here yet.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim B. where is your sensor on your Ashland ?
It should be the same as mine and we all know you've see every square inch of the underbelly of yours. ;)

benmack1

Thanks for the replies. I am leery it will fix itself but we'll see. I am operable as it seems to be able to be leveled manually OK (jacks work as they should manually). I have a 4 ft carpenters level to get it close. Not exactly what I paid for but we can go about our business. I am 2 weeks out of the 1 year warranty at the moment. I can't tell what the LCI warranty might be on the level up system, does anyone know what the term is (1 year like the trailer I assume) or how friendly they are to this kind of thing. There's no excuse for this crap falling apart like this. I have only used the trailer 3 times in a year (and a few more times moving it around the yard. Maybe lack of use is my problem too.

Any more thoughts are more than welcome! Thanks folks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Also you don't need to use a level to level it. Just get it to 0.0 front to rear and 0.0 side to side on the Level-up control panel

danemayer

Also you don't need to use a level to level it. Just get it to 0.0 front to rear and 0.0 side to side on the Level-up control panel

I almost always level manually and use the indicator lights and readout on the display. But I'd guess the sensors have to be calibrated and working correctly for the indicators to be right.

pegmikef

Exactly the same symptoms I just had and I am still baffled as I never did find anything directly associated with the system itself. The only thing I did find that could possibly by related was a shorting connector on the cord I use to hook up to shore power that may have possibly been causing corrupted voltage data being transmitted to the batteries via the converter. I have tried to repeat the failure off an on for almost two weeks with no success. I also cleaned and siliconed the jack shafts as they were a little noisy and I had not done it in a while. Heartland CS sent me the location of the rear sensor but it took a day or too as they had to get it from engineering. Everything has been working perfectly.

benmack1

Exactly the same symptoms I just had and I am still baffled as I never did find anything directly associated with the system itself. The only thing I did find that could possibly by related was a shorting connector on the cord I use to hook up to shore power that may have possibly been causing corrupted voltage data being transmitted to the batteries via the converter. I have tried to repeat the failure off an on for almost two weeks with no success. I also cleaned and siliconed the jack shafts as they were a little noisy and I had not done it in a while. Heartland CS sent me the location of the rear sensor but it took a day or too as they had to get it from engineering. Everything has been working perfectly.

I saw your other thread too. I can't be so lucky that mine will magically resolve I doubt. I read somewhere in my incessant googling about doing an autoretract or full retract whatever you call it when you basically go from leveled up with all 6 posts down to all up. WHat i read was this will reset the system. Probably innerwebz malarky but I will try that too I guess. Please do continue to post up here if you figure it out.

I doubt I have any kind of faulty electrical supply like you mentioned. I faithfully run through the progressive industries box and it seems to catch about anything at least in front of the trailer anyway. Sigh.....

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya that's my theory both times I had problems it kept doing it until I hooked back up and did auto retract. Then the next time I hit Auto level (at home) it worked fine.

pegmikef

I saw your other thread too. I can't be so lucky that mine will magically resolve I doubt. I read somewhere in my incessant googling about doing an autoretract or full retract whatever you call it when you basically go from leveled up with all 6 posts down to all up. WHat i read was this will reset the system. Probably innerwebz malarky but I will try that too I guess. Please do continue to post up here if you figure it out.

I doubt I have any kind of faulty electrical supply like you mentioned. I faithfully run through the progressive industries box and it seems to catch about anything at least in front of the trailer anyway. Sigh.....

Brian,

I managed to level mine manually when it did the time out thing. Then it got a mind of its own (I tried to retract the left side, but it started retracting the landing gear). I got it level again and tried to recalibrate it, by leaving it off and pushing front ten times, then rear ten times. It wouldn't work. I screwed with it everyday and all of a sudden it responded to my recal attempt so I pressed Enter as instructed and it said it did it and went off. I tried doing various things in the manual mode and they all worked right. So I hooked up my truck and did the auto retract and it worked! Lowered the landing gear, moved truck, did auto level and it work. As I said in my other posts, it has continued to work through various tests. Oh, the guy at LCI said that the touch pad is kind of sensitive and it can take several attempts at recal before it responds because there is a particular rhythm that it responds to.

avvidclif

Call Lippert tomorrow about the warranty. If you don't like the answer call back. The first guy I talked to basically said tough s%$# and the second about a week later sent me a new brain. Go figure.

benmack1

I called Lippert this morning. They didn't have any immediate suggestions beyond it sounded like the brain may be dead. They gave me a case number and want me to call back when I am at the trailer (I work during normal hours so it will be a bit before I can get back to them). However, they were encouraging that while I am formally 2 weeks out of warranty they said they would work with me to resolve. Assuming I ever do figure this out my case number is #1253168 so in 5 years when someone else is googling this maybe they can follow up. Will report back when I get more info.

pegmikef

Good luck if it is the brain. I kind of wish mine was as I am more than willing to buy a new one if it fixes it. For now it all works as advertised, so we will see.

benmack1

Update: Did nothing to fix it, system is working fine now. THe only thing I did was take a trip with it. Got home figured nothing to lose by trying the autolevel and it worked like it should. We'll see how it goes in the future. I do like to manual level actually as I think it's easier, faster and I can keep the trailer a bit lower overall.

Sowie

I have a 2016 cyclone 4200 and just changed out the batteries for 4ea 6v wired in series parallel. Refrigerator running on battery power for 24 hours now which is great but now I just noticed my auto level won't work. It says grounding and drops front of trailer all the way down. The degree angle stays at 0 deg all the time for front to back. Left and right angle seems to be working. I can manually adjust legs but since degrees won't change for front and back I can't tell when it is level. I am thinking brain or sensor problem since degrees don't change. Any suggestions. Thanks.

NorthCal Bob

if u can reboot the system that might work. Lippert has lots of information on utube regarding the levelup and also has a great app for I think it is myLCI.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

avvidclif

Per Lippert there is no re-boot of the system. GRRRR. BUT it sounds like it lost the level parameters. Easy enough to fix. Level the rv in both directions using the system. Turn off the Level up Controller(very important). Push the UP button 10 times and the the DOWN button 10 times. The display will light up and ask if you want to calibrate the level, if so push enter. Push ENTER and it will calibrate the level and turn off. That's it. Mine has old timers disease and has to be reset every so often.

Sowie

Thanks all for the quick responses. I did the zero out but the angle front to back always stays at zero. The side to side angle changes though. Are their separate sensors for left and right vs front to back?