Life after Heartland

aquiring signal

After our 2011 Bighorn 3585 was declared a total loss in April we began shopping for a replacement. Prior to buying the 2011 Bighorn, we had a 2008 Bighorn 3670RL that we purchased new in 2007. So until recently, we have been living year round, full-time in a Heartland. During that time, we learned a few things I'd like to pass on.

This time around we looked at Heartland's Landmark line as well as competing brands. In the end we went with SOB. I think last time we didn't hesitate returning to Heartland because our first (pre-Thor) Bighorn was such a great experience.

My new SOB rig is much quieter than either of my two Bighorns. I know this because I'm parked in the exact same site and I can not hear the train horns in the distance. Maybe because this is the first rig I've had with dual pane windows. Maybe because this rig is better insulated. Maybe because the bat insulation in the walls is a better sound insulator than solid polystyrene. Maybe it's a combination. But it's quieter.

Speaking of quieter, ducted A/C return vents are quieter than the 14" square returns. When the A/C was running in the Bighorn, I'd have to turn up the television. I can barely hear the A/C on my new SOB. Several manufacturers are doing this now and I have no doubt that Heartland will, too.

When I first got the 2011 Bighorn I was thrilled with the hydraulic landing gear. I now would like to say that 2 hydraulic legs are great, but 6 is life changing. We became used to the rig rocking in heavy Kansas winds, but that's a thing of the past now. Like I said, life changing. Worth every penny.

I now have 17.5" wheels & Michelin load range J tires. I had the best Heartland offered on both my Bighorns, the 16" Goodyears. I like having a little more safety margin. Heartland should offer this option.

Most of the competing brands out there use a lot of the same components from the same manufacturers. Frame, axles, furnace, refrigerator, windows, air conditioner, fans, etc. My new rig shares many of these from my past rigs. The differences are elsewhere. My new rig uses T&G (tounge & groove) plywood in place of OSB (oriented strand board) for flooring and roof decking. It has solid wood & wood veneers where my Heartland had some solid wood and some photo wrapped wood products. My new rig has a nicer interior fit & finish, higher quality materials, far nicer carpet, is quieter and more stabile than either of my Heartland trailers.

Summed up I think Heartland is great when it comes to "bang for your buck", They have some of the best floor plans out there, too. I had to spend much more money to get something better, but the things that I have now I wouldn't want to give up.

This message board is great. It has helped me over the years. I've learned a lot here & would like to think I've contributed, too. Best wishes to all of you.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Like you said, more bang for your buck with Heartland and you had to pay more for something nicer but you are happy and in the end that is what counts. Please continue to keep us informed of your experiences.

Safe travels,
Mark

camr

Can you tell us the brand and model of your SOB. I would be very interested. Based on the threads that I am reading, it seems that Heartland's quality control may be slipping, especially within the last year. Lots of issues with plumbing, and don't even think of searching for issues with TV cables and end fittings installed incorrectly. I am under the impression that more units leave the factory with defective TV cabling than not. It seems that many of the common recurring defects occur on the hidden inside of the coaches. If a trailer left the line with only three of four wheels installed, it would be flagged immediately. But it seems like there is little QC inspections done on the interior systems. I understand that it is very easy to reply to a post with "The dealer's PDI should have caught this", but if I were a dealer, I would have much better places to spend my time than checking every single PEX fitting and cable connection. It would be unthinkable to accept delivery of a new car or truck, and then expect the dealer to have to repair the headlights that don't work, or turn signals that flash on the opposite sides. In the competitive environment of today, that manufacturer would be out of business very quickly. Or most likely bailed out by the Government. And yes, I had a brand new 1979 Ford delivered with non working brake lights and one headlight not working. The chance of this happening today are almost non existent.

Heartland has a great following, but just like the American auto industry in the 70's, if some one makes a better product at a competitive price, ever so slowly the tide will change. It is up to successful companies to spot this change before it becomes a landslide. As long as consumers remain blind to frustrating defect issues and other competitive brands, Heartland will get away with this type of QC. But the OP has shown that some of us look a little further from this brand.

All that being said, the QC on our trailer built more than a year ago has been faultless. And the Cable TV ends are installed just fine, thank you!

aquiring signal

Since this is a Heartland forum, I don't feel right mentioning the brand of my SOB. But I think most Bighorn & Landmark owners know the competitors. I guess I can mention the ones I considered: Brookstone, Carriage, Cardinal, Crossroads, DRV, Excel, Newmar, Nu-Wa, Pinnicle, Redwood. I might be leaving some out.