Lippert Hyd system problem?

gandmrv

I have a 2016 Landmark 365. We live in our RV basically full time, but do move every 4-5 months on average. The last several moves my Hyd system has started working intermittently, ie: slides will operate normally for about 5-10 seconds then stop, I let off of switch for a few (5-10 seconds) and push again and system will operate again for 5-10 seconds. It does this repeatedly until the slide is all the way in. It also does it when i start the retract jacks function, it makes no difference whether it is done manually or auto retract, the pump will run for 5-10 seconds, stop for 5-10, then restart (on auto), until jacks are fully retracted. I have recently added the Torco RFF15 oil additive. Im not getting any error messages. Jacks work normally on set up with no delays usually, but door side slide out will stop and start on extension as well. Any thoughts? Anyone else have this problem, or is it normal? It didn't do this the first few uses but has become increasingly problematic in recent months.

Greg

Landmark50

I was wondering where you hooked up to shore power or were you running off of your internal batteries?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Landmark50

If you are running off the house batteries when you're sliding in your rooms could be an Amp issue. Not enough power to complete the Full run.

jnbhobe

Read this forum, search for 50 amp auto reset breaker. Your problem is the 50 amp breaker. But reading the forum will give you a good understanding of the cause.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Read this forum, search for 50 amp auto reset breaker. Your problem is the 50 amp breaker. But reading the forum will give you a good understanding of the cause.

Might have loose connections as well. Make sure they are all tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The hydraulics pump gets power from the batteries by way of a 50 amp 12V DC mini-circuit breaker. There's a row of them near the batteries. They're usually covered by a red rubber boot. Often the breaker just gets weak and a new breaker will solve the problem.

However, the cause can also be low battery, loose or dirty/corroded battery connections, loose ground, or perhaps a bind in the system.

But it sounds like it used to be ok, so it's probably not a bind. Also, since it does it on both slideouts and jacks, it's probably not a bind.

So check the condition of the battery and battery terminals. Check water levels, and with both battery cutoffs OFF, check the voltage. If fully charged, you should read around 12.6V.

Remember to switch both cutoffs back ON.

If batteries look ok, get a 50 amp 12V DC auto-reset mini-circuit breakers. Only takes a few minutes to install. Get one with the same form factor so it goes on the buss bar.

I've attached a picture. Your cable arrangement could be different.

Attachments

• Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 80

gandmrv

I was wondering where you hooked up to shore power or were you running off of your internal batteries?

Shore power, I always connect shore power before setting up.

- - - Updated - - -

The hydraulics pump gets power from the batteries by way of a 50 amp 12V DC mini-circuit breaker. There's a row of them near the batteries. They're usually covered by a red rubber boot. Often the breaker just gets weak and a new breaker will solve the problem.

However, the cause can also be low battery, loose or dirty/corroded battery connections, loose ground, or perhaps a bind in the system.

But it sounds like it used to be ok, so it's probably not a bind. Also, since it does it on both slideouts and jacks, it's probably not a bind.

So check the condition of the battery and battery terminals. Check water levels, and with both battery cutoffs OFF, check the voltage. If fully charged, you should read around 12.6V.

Remember to switch both cutoffs back ON.

If batteries look ok, get a 50 amp 12V DC auto-reset mini-circuit breakers. Only takes a few minutes to install. Get one with the same form factor so it goes on the buss bar.

I've attached a picture. Your cable arrangement could be different.

Thanks for that info, that, the 12v breakers could be the culprit

osims

bsims
Mine was doing the exact same thing, I order 50 amp mini breakers from Amazon and it took care of the problem.

TedS

I had a 2011 Bighorn that had this circuit breaker problem
It is still surprises me that after these many years Lippert or Heartland have not yet recognized the problem, a breaker not rated high enough for the hydraulic pump motor current draw.
I replaced mine with an 80-amp circuit breaker. Problem solved.

SLO

I switched mine to 80 amp breaker earlier this summer. My Tri-metric say I'm drawing about 53 amps when I move the main two slides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ronregan

How do I determine which of the twelve or so red rubber covered circuit breakers needs to be replace. As I operate the stabilizers I hear a muted click as the circuit resets then it works again. Takes about 20-25 resets to raise all the legs. They lower just fine. 2016 37' Bighorn.

danemayer

How do I determine which of the twelve or so red rubber covered circuit breakers needs to be replace. As I operate the stabilizers I hear a muted click as the circuit resets then it works again. Takes about 20-25 resets to raise all the legs. They lower just fine. 2016 37' Bighorn.

Start with wire size. You probably have 2 thick wires on the output side (not the copper buss bar side). On the input side (copper buss bar side), there's probably 1 thick wire. That single thick wire is from the battery. The breaker it's attached to usually has a teeny-tiny reset button. The other thick wire on the output side is likely the one you're looking for.

I've attached a picture of my buss bar and of the circuit breaker with the reset button. Your layout will be different, but look for the thick wires.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 53
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 44

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also had the slide/hydraulic problems this past summer and which we traced back to the auto reset 50 amp 12 volt hydraulic pump breaker. We also swapped it out to a 80 amp 12 volt breaker. Haven't had any problems since then.

Last edited: