Lippert remote control "central box"

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
We have a 2011 BC 3510RL with the Lippert remote control "dongle" (controls landing gear, awnings, slideouts, etc.)

Where is the central box/board (I assume it has a batch of relays on it) hidden in our rig?

I opened the "back wall" in the pass-though area and couldn't find it there.

Some have said behind a secret panel near the pantry or the switch panel. Nothing there that I can open without a sawzall.

Is there anyone here from the factory who can consult "as built" prints?

Or is there a number at the factory which will ring on the desk of somebody who knows about such things?

danemayer

Re-check your pantry and cabinets. Use a flashlight and empty everything out. You should find a removable panel behind which will be the brain.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Lippert remote control "central box"

I now know where it is. Exercising the remote and holding an ear to the wall I can hear relay clicks in the space behind the switch cluster area.

There is NO removable access panel here.

My switch for the slides is inoperative (I can still operate the slides with the remote or with the outside switch near the hydraulic pump), the switch itself is fine, so I need to check the wiring to that relay board.

I can only gain access by destructive means. (I did check the pantry and all surrounding woodwork.)

Amazingly lazy design engineering and quality assurance!

danemayer

Re: Lippert remote control "central box"

I now know where it is. Exercising the remote and holding an ear to the wall I can hear relay clicks in the space behind the switch cluster area.

There is NO removable access panel here.

My switch for the slides is inoperative (I can still operate the slides with the remote or with the outside switch near the hydraulic pump), the switch itself is fine, so I need to check the wiring to that relay board.

I can only gain access by destructive means. (I did check the pantry and all surrounding woodwork.)

Amazingly lazy design engineering and quality assurance!

If it's behind the switch cluster, perhaps you can pull some away from the wall to gain access.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Re: Lippert remote control "central box"

If it's behind the switch cluster, perhaps you can pull some away from the wall to gain access.

Yes, I hoped that might be a solution, and I unscrewed every switch/control, but each has only a small hole. None of the holes are large enough to do more than jiggle some wires around. They don't reveal the relay board to view.

Plan now is to find some material to build a new switch cluster panel which I will attach over the existing wood (after I cut a proper access hole in the existing).

mlpeloquin

You have a Big Country and I have a Big Horn. Same setup with the relay board behind the switches. My remote broke and got a replacement. I needed to see the board to figure out the programming. The switches are on a board that is removable. Four or six small screws hold it on. Remove them and slowly pull it forward. My friend had a Big Country and his panel was just like mine. If it is not screwed in, it is stapled.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
You have a Big Country and I have a Big Horn. Same setup with the relay board behind the switches. My remote broke and got a replacement. I needed to see the board to figure out the programming. The switches are on a board that is removable. Four or six small screws hold it on. Remove them and slowly pull it forward. My friend had a Big Country and his panel was just like mine. If it is not screwed in, it is stapled.

Here is a photo of my switch panel area. (Click the image for a larger view)

The panel is a sheet of 1/4" plywood held captive on all four sides by 1x3 wood framing.

The panel is behind that framing as illustrated by the slip of paper that I have inserted behind the framing on the lower right. I was able to insert that paper easily on all four edges of the panel. There are no screws or staples, unless they are behind the framing.

Only Godzilla could "slowly pull it forward" and the results would be destructive.

RV Switch panel.jpg

tcherber

Marc,
We just bought a 2013 BC 3690Sl, the remote control is missing, can you tell me where you got your replacement?
Thank you!
Tim