Lippert spare tire winch

Bob Vaughn

The first time I used the Lippert spare tire winch it busted and when I contacted Heartland they said contact Lippert. When I contacted Lippert they said SOL because it had been over a year since I purchased my BC. What BS that was....You would think it would be a lot longer than a year before an owner had to change a tire. So I did not replace it knowing full well that it may not go down when I do need it. Well today I was at the dealer where i bought my BC and saw that Heartland had switched to BAL hide a spare, spare tire holder. What a great improvement that is. I guess they got tired of hearing about the crappy winch Lippert was putting on the frames. As I sat there looking at it under a landmark I realized there was room for 2 spare tires on the holder and I got to wondering if it would hold the weight? Has any one seen the new holders?

danemayer

I think Mike Finnegan (pegmikef) may have the new unit. His pulls out on the doorside and drops down. It pivots on the off-door-side. I don't think he's very impressed by how his works. You might want to send him a PM if he doesn't respond to this thread.

Bob Vaughn

I got a reply from BAL and they say it will not support the weight of a second tire. But I think I know of a way to increase its capacity.....

Westwind

How does this new spare tire holder raise and lower, does it have a crank of some sort? Seems to be a lot of weight to lift and lower.

jbeletti

I have the new style spare tire holder. Terry H and I operated it this weekend at my home to remove my spare, then replace it. I think it worked out fine, but that 17.5" tire and wheel is heavy and for one person, it would have been harder, yet doable depending on your strength. Here's the steps we took:
  1. Ran the DS slide in
  2. Pulled the locking pin from a hole in a mechanism locking bolt
  3. Removed the locking bolt by rotating the knob on top of it by hand
  4. Grabbed the looped handles and pulled outward, away from the RV
  5. Tire drops down to the floor. Continue to pull on looped handles to pull the tire to near the edge of the RV
  6. Using a Crescent wrench (did not have access to the rest of my tools), removed 2 nuts, 2 locking and 2 flat washers to remove 2 long bolts coming up from a plate below the tire and through 2 stud holes
  7. Slid tire off

The process was pretty simple and actually pretty easy with no getting all the way under the center of the coach.

Here's a link to the product. Looking at the descriptions for the various models, I believe I have this one:
Model 28218 - 70" frame width, I-Beam Underslung mount for trailers with enclosed underbelly

Here's a link to the installation manual.

GOTTOYS

I got a reply from BAL and they say it will not support the weight of a second tire. But I think I know of a way to increase its capacity.....
In looking at the pictures I would think you will need to have Superman riding with you to help unload this thing with two tires on it. I don't see a need for two spares as long as have decent tires on your rig, that doesn't mean those cheap things it came with. If you must carry a second tire what would be wrong with putting it in one of your front storage compartments of even in the bed of your truck?...Don

Bob Vaughn

I wondered about carrying 2 tires is we are going to Alaska and you never know when that extra spare will be needed....

pegmikef

I have the new style spare tire holder. Terry H and I operated it this weekend at my home to remove my spare, then replace it. I think it worked out fine, but that 17.5" tire and wheel is heavy and for one person, it would have been harder, yet doable depending on your strength. Here's the steps we took:
  1. Ran the DS slide in
  5. Tire drops down to the floor. Continue to pull on looped handles to pull the tire to near the edge of the RV
  6. Using a Crescent wrench (did not have access to the rest of my tools), removed 2 nuts, 2 locking and 2 flat washers to remove 2 long bolts coming up from a plate below the tire and through 2 stud holes
  7. Slid tire off

The process was pretty simple and actually pretty easy with no getting all the way under the center of the coach.

Jim pretty much covered getting the tire off and this is the easy part (mainly because the weight mkes it pretty easy to drop). Other downers about this system are that the rods on the end opposite the tire are kind of flimsy and have a tendency to flex a little making it somewhat harder to lift and slide the tire rack back in and the fact that its location forces you to stoop somewhat at the same time you are trying to lift and slide the tire back in.

Frankly, I don't have the physical strength to lift and push at the same time, but I never had a bit of trouble with the cable systems on my last two rigs (and because of Tow Max I got to use them a few times). To solve this I made a fulcrum and carry a notched 2x4 to use as a lever. I use the lever to lift the tire rack to the point where it can be slid into place, have DW stand on the lever, and then slide the rack into place. Plan 2 is to make sure my son accompanies us on all our trips, but I don't think that will fly.

I personally think it is a poorly designed system with no mechanical advantage (except muscle) at all, especially when one considers that most often the road shoulders parallel some kind of depression (e.g., drainage ditches or drop offs from building the road bed) which will make the task even more challenging.

Mrscookie

DW of a senior member
It would be interesting to see what this fulcrum looks like and where do you carry it?
It should be easy enough to come up with a 2x4 and a block of wood.
Remember what Archimedes said, "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the world".
Or something like that.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

It would be interesting to see what this fulcrum looks like and where do you carry it?

Here are the pix of my spare tire lift assistant. It may be overkill, but it works. Because of the height, weight, and the fact that the whole rack moves left and right, I didn't think a couple of pieces of wood would be sufficient (I made it out of wood because I had a lot of scrap lying around, but very little scrap metal).

Attachments

• fulc1.JPG
    fulc1.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 101
  • fulc2.JPG
    fulc2.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 113
  • fulc3.JPG
    fulc3.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 96

danemayer

Bernie, that's pretty clever. You know, if the fulcrum was a little taller, it could double as a teeter-totter for grandkids.:)

KRCyclone

I'm beginning to have visions of a rack that pulls out on rollers. Kinda like the ones used in the storage compartment with a BBQ mounted on it.

Bob Vaughn

1. Ran the DS slide in
  7. Slid tire off

Here's a link to the product. Looking at the descriptions for the various models, I believe I have this one:
Model 28218 - 70" frame width, I-Beam Underslung mount for trailers with enclosed underbelly

Here's a link to the installation manual.
Yep, Jim it is pretty easy to get the tire down and out and away from the side of the camper, but to replace the tire and put it back under the rv you will find out real quick who your friends are. It is quit heavy and akward to get it lifted back up and hooked into place. I had to have my neighbor come over and help me get mine back in place. Some one posted a photo of a fulcrum to do the lifting but I cannot find it now. I will be building something the lift it back into place should I need the tire when traveling.....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Fortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of needing to use the spare, but I have crawled under the rig to check the pressure and operate the winch. Failure to periodically operate it may result in it corroding to the point that it won't work when you need it. Now, if you want fun, try getting the spare out from under a GMC 3500 dually. Whoever designed the piece that actually holds the tire up was a sadist. Lying on your back under the truck, you have to lift the tire in order to be able to manipulate the retainer through the hole for the hub.

Birchwood

Thanks for this tread as it reminds me to spray the spare tire mechanism with fluid film again.I lubricate it every 6 months and its due

57chevyconvt

Bear in mind that a Tow Max tire weighs almost half a much as a GY G614. Because of the weight difference, I chose to secure the new G614 spare with some security spare tire cables purchased from Harbor Freight. I also reinforced the Lippert spare tire angle iron frame work to eliminate the flexing of the original design that impacts the cable and winch carrying capability. The impact loading on the cable and winch can be quite severe with the roads in my area and also due to the location of the spare tire carrier at the rear of the trailer. As a result of this modification, I didn't have any problem with the spare tire carrier on the 12k mile trip to/from Alaska.