Lippert Wet Bolt Kit

BigGuy82

I am about to replace the plastic spring bushings and 1/4" thick shackles on my Bighorn 3010RE with the wet bolt kit that gives me grease fittings on the bushings, bronze bushings and 1/2" shackles.

Does anyone have experience with this modification? Not so much how to install but rather how does it work when finished. I'm assuming no change in coach performance but longer bushing and general suspension life. Also, the instructions recommend greasing the bushings every 3,000 miles which seems excessive to me, especially when using modern lithium greases. I had envisioned greasing the zerks every 10K when I repack the wheel bearings.

Any info is appreciated.

mlpeloquin

I am about to replace the plastic spring bushings and 1/4" thick shackles on my Bighorn 3010RE with the wet bolt kit that gives me grease fittings on the bushings, bronze bushings and 1/2" shackles.

Does anyone have experience with this modification? Not so much how to install but rather how does it work when finished. I'm assuming no change in coach performance but longer bushing and general suspension life. Also, the instructions recommend greasing the bushings every 3,000 miles which seems excessive to me, especially when using modern lithium greases. I had envisioned greasing the zerks every 10K when I repack the wheel bearings.

Any info is appreciated.

Purchased a set at the last Goshen rally. Put them on when I got home. Glad I did. I found two of the old shackle bolts were 1/3 worn through and two of the never lube bushings cracked in half and onion skin thin on one side. All others were worn thin on one side as well. The only thing I noticed is that the suspension works more quietly and smoother going slowly over speed bumps. Impressed enough I would never opt for the never lube bushings. I do lube twice a year, but we do travel a lot and it doesn't hurt anything by doing so, it doesn't take long, grease is cheep, and having it dry out would not be good.

CoveredWagon

Any info is appreciated.

Are you planning on doing the install or having it done? If the latter what do you expect it to cost. I ask the dealer about installing those kits, but he told me to wait until the frame was out of warranty

BigGuy82

Are you planning on doing the install or having it done? If the latter what do you expect it to cost. I ask the dealer about installing those kits, but he told me to wait until the frame was out of warranty
I thought I answered you - must have hit the wrong button.

I paid $140 for the kit from Ron Russell at Performance Trailer Braking. It has all the parts required. Don't have a clue how much it would cost to install, but I do plan on buying myself a couple of beers when I finish the job. I'm making the upgrade at the same time I'm installing my disc brakes. Warranty? Almost expired anyway but I wouldn't delay doing this. If I install a Dexter kit on a Dexter axle, I don't expect any flack. Doesn't matter though - I do what's right for me and I'll argue it out if it ever comes to that.

Regarding the disc brakes, the choice is stop faster or worry about the warranty. I opt for stopping faster.

BigGuy82

Look at the Mor-Ryde wet bolt kit it's twice as HD as the Lipert kit.

How so? The bolt diameter is fixed so you can't get a bigger bolt. The bushings from both brands are bronze. The shackles are upgraded from the standard 1/4" to 1/2" thickness, so those too are upgraded.:confused:

jnbhobe

How so? The bolt diameter is fixed so you can't get a bigger bolt. The bushings from both brands are bronze. The shackles are upgraded from the standard 1/4" to 1/2" thickness, so those too are upgraded.:confused:

Has Lippert increased their shackles to 1/2 inch??? They never were !!! And Mor-Ryde are made in the USA.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I put on the Morryde wet bolt kit recently. Shackles are a full 1/2"! Much beefier than the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Has Lippert increased their shackles to 1/2 inch??? They never were !!! And Mor-Ryde are made in the USA.

Just to put this one to rest, unless my calipers are off by a 1/4", the Lippert shackles are 1/2". If Lippert sells them, I assume that they are a quality product and while it would be great if they were made in the US, I'm not going to spend my time researching where they were made. After all, my rig sits on Chinese tires (Sailun) and they are just fine.

BigGuy82

Well, actually, your email explains the conundrum. I stand corrected - the wet bolt kit has 1/4" shackles. The Tandem Axle AP Kit that your link goes to has 1/2" shackles. The kit I got from Ron Russell must have been put together by him and not Lippert. It has wet bolts, 1/2" shackles, nuts. Must be he upgraded the shackles.

Here's the Lippert wet bolt kit that has only 1/4" shackles:

https://store.lci1.com/a-p-kit-eq-wb2

I've got to agree Jon - if the kit only has 1/4" shackles, use the Mor-Ryde.

CoveredWagon

I put on the Morryde wet bolt kit recently. Shackles are a full 1/2"! Much beefier than the standard.

Lyle did you install the wet bolt kit, or did you have it installed. If you had it done do you mind if I ask the cost?

Thanks

jnbhobe

I think while did it himself when he put his disc brakes on

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

Dyers sells the MORryde UO12-029 Heavy Duty Tandem Axle CRE3000 Shackle Kit For Correct Track System Hanger online for
$139.98

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Lyle did you install the wet bolt kit, or did you have it installed. If you had it done do you mind if I ask the cost?

Thanks

DIY. Easy peasy. Levelup helps. Need jack stands hydraulic jack (just in case), use a punch or hefty screwdriver to work out the nylon bushings, start the brass ones by using nonmetallic mallet, once they're started finish drawing them in with one of the bolts.
Takes longer to remove and replace the wheels than to replace the shackles!!!

I had the Lippert wet bolts & bushings installed at the 2011 rally.
When I had Correct Track installed at the 2013 rally the bushing had to be replaced because of excessive wear, which could have been because axles where so far out of alignment.
My recommendation is to go with the Mor Ryde system which looks alot heavier.
I do make sure everything is greased.
Grease is cheap insurance against catastrophic failure.

Hockster

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
DIY. Easy peasy. Levelup helps. Need jack stands hydraulic jack (just in case), use a punch or hefty screwdriver to work out the nylon bushings, start the brass ones by using nonmetallic mallet, once they're started finish drawing them in with one of the bolts.

Easy unless it's been a while and they're rusty!

1859dd543ad5aef81352ea750a72ea5a.jpg

CoveredWagon

Thanks that's what I was expecting and wanted to hear. Save the install bucks and blow it on something else 😂

- - - Updated - - -

That's what Kryoil and a 28 inch breaker bar are for. Or an air impact wrench. 😉