Litter Box Mod

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
We have surrendered the under sink space in our Augusta to fur kid Parker for his personal hygiene needs. I removed the middle shelf, built a surround to isolate the plumbing (and simplify housekeeping), and cut an entrance into the cabinet door. Parker likes it and uses it faithfully!

Attachments

• Kitty Konstruction 001.jpg
    Kitty Konstruction 001.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 269
  • Kitty Konstruction 002.jpg
    Kitty Konstruction 002.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Kitty Konstruction 003.jpg
    Kitty Konstruction 003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Kitty Konstruction 005.jpg
    Kitty Konstruction 005.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 293

kkamshop

Great idea Bob! We've been trying to figure out where to keep a litter box in our Augusta too. In our previous TT we had an hidden cabinet area like this for the kitties potty.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nice job! We put our litter box between the steps and the front kitchen cabinet. Fits pretty good and is not in the way. Forces me to keep an eye on the contents and clean it frequently (two cats using it). It was one of those fully enclosed types, but I cut the top off.

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Re: litter solution

I wasn't wild about it either, but the rescue cat loves it, it gets it out of sight and out of the way, and I had my orders!

ParkIt

I was wondering where the best place to put the box would be - with 3 (neurotic) cats they are used to two boxes but they are going to have to change their thinking. Since we do have the separate toilet closet, it would be optimal to cut a kitty door and put a covered box in there. My guess is DH will like it as well so he can blame any smell on the box...and turn on the fan when required.

Jim & Harriet

I had forgotten what a great idea this is.
We are updating our home bathrooms. Seeing this design has given me an idea
how to put one of the old vanities to good use for our cats here in our stick-house
laundry room! And we will give the other vanity to our daughter for her three cats
as well.

JohnDar

This is our litter box set up. If we keep it cleaned up, there is no smell. We use the Tidy Cat Scoopable, supposedly safe to dump in the toilet, but even at home we scoop it into a plastic bag lined coffee can and toss it in the trash.

View attachment 13310

porthole

Retired
1 cat and his "business" doesn't amount to much. So we use a plastic bin that fits between the toilet and shower. We use the clumping litter in the box.

Sandie

We will be taking our new Elkridge out this coming week for the first time along with one cat...thinking of just putting the box in the closet where the w/d hookup is until we can figure out something better.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess there is realy not a good place to put a litter box in an RV.
We use Feline Pine that tracks very little and keep the box either behind the recliners or next to the couch when it is at the rear window.

Peace
Dave

Speedy

We will be taking our new Elkridge out this coming week for the first time along with one cat...thinking of just putting the box in the closet where the w/d hookup is until we can figure out something better.

That's what we have been doing since getting our BC but would like something more hidden. I made notes from a Heartland post about building a secret room under the stairs with a kitty door for cat access and a sliding door in the basement for cleaning/changing. Just need to pull panels off and start designing.

Sandie

I guess there is realy not a good place to put a litter box in an RV.
We use Feline Pine that tracks very little and keep the box either behind the recliners or next to the couch when it is at the rear window.

Peace
Dave
I was even thinking of putting it, temporarily, under that empty area beneath the desk but we think we would like it more hidden. Not any floor space in the bathroom like our last one had. Sigh....

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's what we have been doing since getting our BC but would like something more hidden. I made notes from a Heartland post about building a secret room under the stairs with a kitty door for cat access and a sliding door in the basement for cleaning/changing. Just need to pull panels off and start designing.

Speedy, been think about this too.

Unfortunately, the ElkRidge is not built on the same drop frame like the Big Country, Big Horn and Landmark. The basement is not reachable from the stairs, without heavy modifications (lots and lots of wiring/plumbing in the way!)

wood207

I just ordered a Cyclone 3800 toy hauler. We have one indoor cat that we will take full-timing with us. Should we let him ride alone in the trailer or should we teach him to ride in the truck (Silverado 3800HD Crew Cab)? He does not like riding in the car, but that is probably because whenever he does is to go to the Vets.

JJOren

Wood207:

Boy, I sure would't let our cat ride alone in the trailer!!! Cats don't do well 'on the move' anyway. Given the movement inside the trailer she would be terrified and she would be alone, away from us. Not a good thing for her or us.

Can't say that she really enjoys it in the 2500 extended cab either. But at least she is near us and when she gets noisy, if we just stick a finger or two in her kitty carrier, scratch her a bit and she settles right down again.

jjriker

We bring our cats along in the truck. They each have their own carrier which belts in. They actually travel really well. They might fuss for the first little while, but then once they realize they aren't going to the vets, they both settle down and go to sleep. :eek:

Bernie55

We keep our litter box in the shower, and move it to the toilet when we shower...

JohnDar

It's only a 3 hour drive from home to the rig on the summer site, so we just put the two furballs in their carriers and secure them in the back seat. The whimper a little, but settle down. And I can get more decibels out of the radio if they don't.

There were comments on a similar thread about a problem with cats being able to get under the bed and hide when it's retracted. If they do, you've got to get them out before you can extend it.