Live in OR - Must I register RV in CA?

GregBassine

Hello to all!

My wife and I live in Oregon and have owned a 38' 3260 EL Bighorn 5th wheel for many years. It is registered here in Oregon.

We recently went to a RV Resort in Palm Springs, CA (Outdoor Resorts Palm Springs) and purchased a RV lot with a 40' DRV Elite Suites on the property. We now are proud owners of the RV and the lot in which it resides.

Now the rub. We plan on living in the California RV 6 months (or less) due to the weather constraints (heat), and then live in our house here in Oregon the other 6 months or more. Our Bighorn will still be used to travel with.

The DRV Elite Suites is up on blocks and basically is permanent (however could move it if needed. Tires are still attached).

Our kicker is it cost a mint to register the RV in CA, and we want to register it here in Oregon (about 10 times less expensive). I am a 100% disabled Veteran with no intentions of living in CA full time ever.

At the RV resort we have seen many rigs in the same situation as ours that have out of state plates or in some instances, no plates at all on the RV.

Anyone been in a similar situation and can provide some much needed feedback? I sure would appreciate it. We are at the point where we need to move on this, and want to make the right decision.

Thanks in advance to all,

DmgGuy

Gaffer

Register it at home when you get there. As long as that is where your tax home is, banking etc. and you stay there 6 month + one day per year or more. Once your two year registration expires, don't renew it. IMHO. Who told you it needs to be registered in California?

danemayer

Can you register the RV in Oregon without the local Oregon authorities verifying the VIN #? I'm not sure if the VIN inspection is required everywhere, but I think Oregon may require it.

GregBassine

Register it at home when you get there. As long as that is where your tax home is, banking etc. and you stay there 6 month + one day per year or more. Once your two year registration expires, don't renew it. IMHO. Who told you it needs to be registered in California?

Thanks for the help. The previous owners were Canadian (2/3rds of the owners in this resort are Canadians). They registered the rig in California since it was bought there and resides there. As an Oregon resident, figured we'd try to get away with Oregon registration since our home is here and the California rig is basically a vacation home. Make sense?

Gaffer

Makes perfect sense to me. And I don't think you are getting away with anything. You are doing the right thing. If you decided to tow it home and sell your Bighorn, you wouldn't want to have Ca. plates on it. Your property to use how and where you want.

danemayer

Thanks for the help. The previous owners were Canadian (2/3rds of the owners in this resort are Canadians). They registered the rig in California since it was bought there and resides there. As an Oregon resident, figured we'd try to get away with Oregon registration since our home is here and the California rig is basically a vacation home. Make sense?

I think most states now require a VIN inspection to get a title transfer from out of state. It's a fraud prevention measure. Here's what Oregon's DMV says you'll need to provide:
Provide the following to DMV: A completed Application for Title and Registration;
 You can save time by submitting this application online, if you plan to go to a DMV office within 30 days.
 The out-of-state title:
 If the title is lost, contact the other state to get a replacement.
 The original odometer disclosure, if required;
 Original releases or bills of sale from any previous owners;
 Original lien releases from any previous security interest holders;
A vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection for $7 (at DMV, or if you need emissions testing, DEQ);
 A Use Tax Certificate from the Oregon Department of Revenue if you bought the vehicle from an out-of-state dealer and your vehicle is subject to the tax; and
 The appropriate title fee.
Submit the documents and payment to DMV.

You might want to call and discuss the specifics of your situation with the DMV. Perhaps there's some exception process.

Gaffer

The Vin inspection thing is new to me. But then again, My Rvs were ordered new and delivered in state. Worst case drag it home and back one time. Just get a travel tag. Guess you need to call or visit DMV.

wdk450

From the AAA Driving Laws website: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/registration-for-non-residents/

"CALIFORNIA

A non-resident vehicle must be registered in California if the vehicle is based in California or primarily used in California; a vehicle is considered to be primarily used in California if it is operated or located in the state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other jurisdiction.
A non-resident vehicle may be operated in California without registering the vehicle in California provided that the vehicle is registered in another jurisdiction.
A non-resident vehicle becomes subject to registration 20 days after gainful employment is accepted or residency is established, at which time application for registration must be made."

The local cops or CHP aren't going to go patrolling around RV parks looking for registration violators. They have too many major things on their radar.

On edit: I found this interesting Palm Springs Tax Attorney webpage about temporary residency in California, with a special section at the end about "Snowbirds" staying in California. Worthwhile reading:
https://www.palmspringstaxandtrustlawyers.com/g-guidelines-for-determining-residency/

MTPockets

I think your situation depends on CA laws and how aggressive CA is regarding license/title laws. 20 years ago we purchased a 39 ft. Boat in Kentucky, we lived in Indiana, but the boat was kept in Michigan. Our original taxes and licensing was in Indiana, but 2 1/2 years later we were advised by the Michigan State auditor that since the boat was permanently moored in Michigan we had to pay Michigan tax and license fees.. they won... local patrols noticed we had no MI license and did their checking.... advise you check local CA laws.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Check out this website:

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/

I did this last year...

In Colorado, the plates on my truck and 5'ver would have been around $1700 for one year.

In South Dakota for one year...$460 including the yearly mailbox address fee.

NewSDPlates.jpg NewSDPlatesProwler.jpg MtRshmrGeorgeBaby-P6150001.jpg

emery395

Why register it anywhere if you do not intend to move it.

In massachusetts anyway, I was able to get new title without registering it for travel as I keep it permanently parked. Of course I had to pay sales tax in addition to title fees.
Note that interest may be charged on tax if not paid within your states grace period.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Being you have no intentions on using this on any roadway can’t you just register it as a “non op” with the CA DMV when the renew comes next time?

i4110peter

We registered our new rv in Oregon where we live last year and found out that they now have what they call a "vehicle use tax". Oregon version of Sales tax?????